Register now to get rid of these ads!

Powder coating question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CayoRV, Oct 11, 2009.

1. CayoRV

CayoRV

How crucial is the surface quality of the part to be coated. I have a pair of valve covers that are quite pitted and am wondering if this can be repaired before powder coating to leave a smooth surface after? I don't know if this is possible or not. With paint I could just fill, sand and paint. On these I would like to try a reflective (chrome) look powder coat but not with the pitting. This is the pits!:D Anyone have any answers?

2. roseboystoys

roseboystoys

I just had a bunch of stuff powdercoated and fortunately it was all new metal. But in talking to the powdercoater he told me there is a heat resistant filler that can be used for what you are talking about. Not sure what it is but I'm sure an auto body supply store would know. Has anyone else out there heard of this?

3. yes, i have heard of a filler that you can use under powder coat..saw it at a indoor car show about 10 year ago. i have no idea if it is any good, how much it costs or where to get it

4. CayoRV

CayoRV

Thanks for the quick responses. I just didn't want to look like a fool walking into the powder coaters place with my old junk. I think I'll check with them this week and see if they can recommend a filler or perhaps supply it. At least that way if they recommend it I would hope they would stand behind the results a bit better. Thanks again.

5. The heat resistant filler I used is Lab-metal made by a company named Alvin. Do a Google search.

6. if you really like em and want to smooth em, use JB Weld original formula, not the quick dry formula, it is easy to work with, sand smooth and the heat from the PC oven doesnt bother it.
    I have repaired many dented Bike gas tanks like this and powdered over them.

7. lab metal works also, but I find its not as easy to work with as the JB weld.

oh yeah, to answer the original question, powdercoating will show the pits etc , glosses show them worse than the flat colors, basically same principle as paint.

8. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

My powder coater fills minor sratches with a powder coat version of a filler / primer, several times if necessary, to get it smooth before the final color. Gary

9. 1arock

1arock

I do my own and just coat it and sand and coat and sand and coat and sand til I fill all the pits.

10. Patrick Kidder

Patrick Kidder
    from Louisiana

JB weld I use it all the time

11. is JB Weld magnetic? i thought that the powder stuck to the part with electrostatic charge

12. dunno if its magnetic.
    the part gets grounded and the powder gets positive charged and it adheres that way. also, if you ever have an issue with powder not sticking, pre-heat the item a little bit and its like magic...well, ok not magic, but it does work :)

13. oneratfink57

oneratfink57
    from Wisconsin

Where I work i both industrial powder coating and finish type work as well.

the way we fill is to powder the part( with zinc primer), sand it, powder it and sand it. powder and sand. If by the 3rd color coat its not filled, its most likely you wont be able to fix the surface.

As for the filler, if it is thick enough at best the powder will be a different shade of the color in that area.

But like i said we dont use filler at my work. we do our best doing it the other way

what you could do is have it powdered, fill it with a conventional spot putty or bondo, sand it smooth and then have it painted. ( plus powder coat even with a smooth new finish will never give you the finish that is attainable with regular liquid paint) It will always have somewhat of an orange peel. SO if you powder then paint, you will have the protection from corrosion of the part with the powder underneath, and the nice perfect finish from the paint.

good luck

-Nick-

14. artiep

artiep

Check out the Eastwood site they have filler for powder coating.

15. bbc 1957 gasser

bbc 1957 gasser

yup i worked at a coater and ive done it trick is jb weld it up ..bake it so the jb shrinks or does what it has to do .coat the part. sand the part like primer. and then recoat the part ..just like body work. mine as well paint it .same amount of work..

16. Chally

Chally

Has anyone used Por 15 Epoxy putty under powdercoat???

[​IMG]

17. Check out the Eastwood site they have filler for powder

18. !!!

19. I have to disagree, its all in the prep and I have items in my show display stock that disagrees with what ya say too:D

20. I've never tried it. try it and let us know.
    Bake a little ball and see if it likes the heat.