Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Some ???'s regarding things to do to a 50 Merc

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lockwoodkustoms, Oct 11, 2009.

1. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

1. The headlights I have some rings I believe came from a 53 ish ford so my question for this is after you weld the outer ring to the fender howdo you get the headlights out. is there a way that they are mounted from behind?

2. The taillights-my question here is I want to use the origianl taillights like I have seen on some cars but nut the chrome housing. so I am wondering is there a trick to mounting these from behind also so that the lens are sandwiched between the houising and the body?

3. Who is all using the stock frame under there Merc and if so how does is ride down the road. I am tossing the idea of baging this on all four corners or just to drop it down and run it at a nice low stance

Thanks everyone I appreciate the help and ideas that will come from all of you. I am just asking these questions because I would like to know what and how to do these body mods the right way :D

2. 1. The headlight bucket need to be mounted from inside the fender so that they can be removed to access the headlight. So you need reverse all the mounting bolts so they are inside the fender.

2. You could french them in by using some round rod and bending it ti fit the shape of the lens then welding it into the fenders you would again have to weld some bolts onto the fender so they could be accessed from behind and the assemble the whole thing from the back. Gene Winfield sells some pretty cool replacement lense with the surrond that needs to be welded in that are similar in shape to stock.

3. No personal experience but an number of guys on here have done it and say it works fine. Alot have even used the original drum brakes and have said they work fine as well. This is what I an more than likely going to do. There are a set of springs for a mini van that are supposed to be perfect to lower the front end. I am away from home right now but if no one else (Bad Bob) posts the model I will do it early next week.

Hope this helps

3. R Pope

R Pope

When you put the light buckets in from inside the fender, weld the bolts to the fender so you can remove the nuts to change bulbs. Sounds silly, but I have seen guys forget to do it!

4. 49 lincoln

49 lincoln
    from reno

I'm using the stock frame...A-arm spacers in front and jamco leaves with 2" blocks in back. In the front I've also installed the ssbc royal kingpin kit and fatman tierods, so that helps...and disc brakes all around. I think I'd still like it a touch lower in the back, but it rides fine. I don't wish that I had bags!
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

5. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

kinda hard to tell in the pic but on my old orange merc, i bent 1/4 rod to the shape of the lense, welded some studs to the inside of the body and put the backing plate of the lense back on and sandwiched the lense to the body. merc frames and the components are nice. they can sit pretty low with airbags and dropped upwrights on the front. i would recommend updating the tie rod set up to a fatman kit or something of that nature. the prmered merc is stock suspension with bags and fatmans lowering goodies..

Attached Files:

6. twochops

twochops

Frenching stock taillights
    TwoChops

Attached Files:

7. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

hanks everyone I am sure thankful for all the help so far and keep em coming this is very helpful information and I really appreciate it.

8. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

I beleve that stock headlamp doors from '53 were pot metal, so you'll not be welding those to your carbon steel fenders! You could solder them on, but I wouldn't suggest epoxy of putty.

To flush mount stock the stock taillamp, sans the bezel, will require you to shape the metal around the lens. I wouldn't suggest you build up putty to form this shape, but rather that you bend some round stock in the shape you want the quarter panel to be around the lens. you could weld the round stock around the lens opening, and fill it in with metal, and a light coat of filler. Sand and prime to suit.

Mercs ride jus' fine on oem frames, but up grades to spindles that will accept discs aren't a bad way to go. Blocks work well out back. Just so we're clear- there is nothing "traditional" about bags, frame clips, radial tyres, or urethane paint!

Swanky Devils C.C.
    '' Humpty Dumpty was pushed! "

9. twochops

twochops

Pimpin-did you read the other answers?

10. John50

John50

I went the easy way out on my 50, melted the coils and 4 in blocks in the rear. Welded studs on the bottom of the shackles to act like skid plates so those are the first to hit when I bottom out. It sits low, rides like a ton of bricks, especially at 70 on the 110. If it hits hard it throws the 400 into neutral. I am going bags on my 49.

11. Darn, I missed the bit where he said he was building it all "traditional" ..:eek:

12. atomickustom

atomickustom

Your car rides like crap because of the way you lowered it! You probably have no travel at all with all those coils stacked up in the front, and 4-inch blocks doesn't sound ideal, either. Try swapping out your front coils for something shorter and/or softer and I think you'll be amazed at what a difference it will make.

13. 19Fordy

19Fordy

RE: #3 Keep in mind potential scrub line problems.