Register now to get rid of these ads!

Driving in colder temperatures

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by unkledaddy, Oct 11, 2009.

1. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

So how do you guys keep your engine operating temp at about 185F in the fall/winter months, especially with a heater?

I have two (3) different sized pieces of black-primered cardboard that I put between the radiator and grill. The outside air temperature determines which size cardboard I use, and how much of the radiator is covered.

When needing the heater I go for about 200 - 210F, so with the heater "on" the engine runs at 185F.

Anybody else?

2. enjenjo

enjenjo
    from swanton oh

It's called a thermostat. It fits in the upper hose, and stays closed until the engine is at operating temperature. Very effective.

3. HotRod33

HotRod33

Okay, I run a 195 degree thermostat in the small block ford in my 33 pickup. In cold weather it only run about 140 degrees. I have changed the thermostat to 210 degrees and the tempature guage and went to an electric gauge and it still reads 140 degress. I have a large griffin aluminum radiator and if I don't block off half of the radiator it does not warm up thermostat or no thermostat.........

4. shock

shock

Sounds to me like your thermostat is stuck open.......its very common,
    buy a new one and check it in hot water on the kitchen stove with a thermometer.

I have had several name brand stats open up on the stove brand new and never fully close.:)

5. coupster

coupster
    from Oscoda Mi

Thermostats don't just "pop" open at a predetermined temp. They open slowly. So if you have an over efficent cooling system you will have a problem keeping the temp up in cool weather. Some large trucks used to use a louver system to cut the air flow down to the radiator, I noticed recently a canvass snap cover has become popular. I run a 210 degree stat and maintain a 170 degree block temp at the thermostat housing in the fall.

6. R Pope

R Pope

Hot rods are usually light. That means the engine is just loafing at cruise, and won't warm up much. Covering the rad helps, but often there's enough air coming around he rad to keep the temp down. I sometimes take the fan off altogether in the winter.

7. You can watch the thermostat cycle as the engine comes up to temp.

A mechanical temp gauge - S-W in my roadster - goes from the peg to about 185-188* then back to 140* and and back and forth till it settles out at 182* - with heater on.

Works the same when running in the teens - F.

16* ambient is my personal best on the low end 109* on the top scale . . . although the heater ain't running in the hot weather....

8. enjenjo

enjenjo
    from swanton oh

Buy a better quality thermostat. I worked on big trucks for 35 years, they don't need a hillbilly thermostat if they have a good thermostat in the cooling system.

9. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

The difference may be that you're running a hood with sides.

10. v8 Bake

v8 Bake

I agree My sedan has had several t stats cant keep it warm with any. It will warm up sitting but take down the road an she cools right down.I am using a ford tractor rad with alum. heads and no hoods . Card board is the only thing that works.Note mine also does the same in the summer heating is not an issue.

11. Maybe, but with 360 louvers in hood top and side panels it's getting lots of air.

I have run it in 30* F temps sans hood sides and it acts the same.

12. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Cardboard tips, use white not black. Then you don't forget about it. It's also better to block off the middle 50% than one side, because of how it loads the fan more evenly. Happy winter cruising!

13. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

What motor, water pump and thermostat are you running?