Register now to get rid of these ads!

Supercharger

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KB88, Oct 8, 2009.

1. KB88

KB88

I'm interested in supercharging. With few speed parts available for older engines, supercharging offers a way to increase performance across the RPM band. While I understand the mathematics and theory behind forced induction, I unfortunately don't know how to install a supercharger on a car. Another issue is bugging me: People seem to be able to fabricate a turbocharger for almost any car, but superchargers come in "kits". Is there a way to install a supercharger, as opposed to a turbocharger, on any engine? Are there any books or DVDs - or websites - that explain the nuts and bolts of supercharger installation? If anyone knows how to do this stuff, it's you guys on this board. I'm a long time watcher but a first time poster. Thanks!

2. 61TBird

61TBird

3. squirrel

squirrel

look for the Pat Ganahl book Street Supercharging

There are different types of superchargers, some are easier to make fit than others. Centrifugal blowers (Paxton, Vortech, ProCharger) are more universal, they don't require a special intake manifold. Roots type blowers (GMC for example) are more picky, and require more special parts to fit each engine.

You definitely need to know what you're doing to have good results. Keep reading, and feel free to ask specific questions.

4. KB88

KB88

Thanks Jim. Does Pat Ganahl's book explain how the supercharger is installed onto an engine? Let's say you buy the actual blower itself (a centrifugal supercharger for the sake of argument). How do you connect it to the engine?

5. 8Flatliner6

8Flatliner6

With a Centrifugal type supercharger, (which is one of the most efficient, if I'm not correct) they are mounted on a bracket muck like an alternator/generator and are driven by the fan belt, and there is an air ducting hose that goes to the carb. http://cll.hemmings.com/story_image/42891-500-0.jpg

in that picture the Supercharger (silver) is attached above the block, with a short black hose to a silver cowl above the carb there is also another longer black hose (ribbed) that goes to the air cleaner

Last edited: Oct 9, 2009
  6. panic

panic

7. KB88

KB88

Can that bracket be mounted to any engine, or rather, is it possible to get a bracket for any engine to mount the supercharger to?

8. Tenacious A

Tenacious A
    from Willis Tx

It may be more helpful if you tell us what you have and what you want to put on it...

9. KB88

KB88

Actually I have two old cars. One has the 429 Cadillac, the other a straight 8 Packard.

10. squirrel

squirrel

11. If using the centrifugal type, the carb needs to reside in a sealed box, not just blown through the air cleaner. If not, things will blow out all over the carb, as an example throught the throttle rods.

12. KB88

KB88

Can roots blowers be custom fitted to any engine?

13. So far they have been adapted to many many different engines in a few different ways. Some times two blowers on one engine.
    Anything is possible ya know time, talent, and treasure are all you need. What you lack in one you can make up with the others.

What are you working on

14. KB88

KB88

Like I said earlier, I would love to supercharge one of my cars, but before I do that I'd like to see how superchargers are actually installed onto a car, and how custom mountings are made. Do they have DVDs for this?

15. [​IMG]

I dont know of any dvds per say, but there is plenty of tech articles and how toos' on the web, youtube ect. look around on the here on the hamb probably more info here than anyplace on the planet. Here is one with 2 blowers.

16. squirrel

squirrel

go to car shows, look at blown cars, see how they are built.

17. I mounted a GMC blower on a 291 DeSoto V8. I fabricated everything I needed, except the generic blower base I got from Dyers. Actually, the only thing that really needed to be fabricated was the plate that bolted to the intake/blower base...I fabricated my own carburetor to blower mount because I wanted a particular carb spacing not offered over the counter. All I have for Shop tools are a belt/disc sander, drill press, and a bench grinder...actually I also have an air compresser and a BUNCH of air tools. No Milling machines, lathes, etc...

Attached Files:

18. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

I built this setup with only two supercharger specific parts; the McCulloch supercharger head unit and the carb hat. Bracket I cut out of steel plate, single v-belt pulleys and tensioner...

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=392404

And no, I still haven't driven it with the blower on it yet, either....

19. BigChief

BigChief

Google. Google. Google. Look for pics, look for articles. Do your homework....PLENTY of information out there.

Call Don Hampton. Decent guy. Has put blowers on everything you can imagine. He'll field all your questions. Although its not list on his site, I'm pretty sure he's got a set-up for your Caddy. Here's his website.

http://hamptonblowers.com/index.html

Nothing is cheap when your supercharging the right way.

Enjoy!

20. Tony

Tony

Or when your not. The end result IF failure happens will cost more then doing it right the first time.

21. I do NOT want to start a pissing contest, so don't take it that way, but by not getting in a hurry, and looking for good deals, doing it the right way doesn't need to be expensive. I have almost $800 in the set-up shown in my 32...everything from the air cleaner to the intake. It takes time and a GREAT deal of good luck...;)

22. Capt Crash

Capt Crash
    from Colorado

The instalation of a roots blower is pretty simple and straight forward. In theory you pull your old carb and intake manifold off of the engine, and then install the blower manifold, and then the blower, and then the carbs, much the way that you would a stock intake. The "in theory" parts comes in because you may have to change how parts like the distributor, and water pump and power steering pump, etc are mounted to provide the extra room that is sometimes needed. Also this is assuming that the rest of the engine is built to handle the extra stress and power that the blower provides.
    A centrifical blower is definately more efficiant then a roots, and will make more power on the same engine. It can also be mounted on just about any type of engine, with the correct brackets, which could be fabbed up if they do not already exist. With the exception of the looks of a root blower, a centrifical blower beats it in every other way. You do not need a carb box with a centrifical blower, but you will need a carb that has been built specifically for a "blow-through" application.
    No matter what you decide to do, do plenty of research, and be prepared to spend lots of money. You can't have too good of parts on a blower engine, and I do not believe that there is a way to do a blower engine cheaply.

Brian

23. Garyr

Garyr

I've done a good number of strange combinations for blowers and would recommend that you start with something more common due to cost. Also beware of the swap meet "bargins" like manifolds with out a thermostat housing. They'll bolt on but never cool because they weren't designed to on a drag car. Manifolds can also be made on a 4 bbl base with a fabricated top Hampton, Dyers are the prime suppliers for those. Attached is a photo of mine that I built on a tunnel ram bottom. Call me at 316-393-1105 or email at [email protected] and I would like to discuss any details that you need.

Attached Files:

24. One thing not mention here, with all of the bolt it on and go, is that with most roots superchargers, a lot of boost in present. The engine needs a much lower compression ratio than stock to run on pump gas. even some centrifugal blowers crank out too high a boost. Also, proper management of spark advance is required.

25. me, i just wing it and build a manifold and pray.. so far im a super lucky guy.. most are not though .. so listen to them..

26. Bill Van Dyke

Bill Van Dyke

Read,read,read until you are an expert yourself. I've had 2. One on a flathead and one on a SBC Joe Gibbs truck. Loved 'em both. Best "bolt on" you can buy!!