Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Hunnert Car Pile Up Traffic Pile Up

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by little ratskulls, Oct 10, 2009.

1. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Relax - That many people, limited area , bound to have some challenges.
    You didn't talk trash so no harm.

Guys who trashed talked are gone ( banned).

If it wasn't you that brought it up - it would have come up today anyway.

Relax and sit back and enjoy the HAMB.

Cob

2. little ratskulls

little ratskulls

Thanks Cob I just didn't want to come across as a dick.

3. IH TRUCK

IH TRUCK
    from d town IL

THE SHOW ROCKED but it is getting 2 big for the spot / big thank's to all the boy' & girl's that worked to put it on glad I got there early

4. nocer1

nocer1

Was turned away from the gate at 1:30. Grundy county police were at the gate. Im glad I live 20 miles away didnt drive hours. met a few on my way back to the car that had driven over four hours then an hour in traffic to get turned away. Too bad too, cause some nice cars were turned away.

5. MAC50

MAC50
    from Illinois

I got there about 8:15 got right in the grounds and waited for the gates to open, Had a hell of a time getting out. I bet there will still be people trying to get out after dark, took me a hour and fifteen minutes. Sorry to hear some got turned away. And want to thank all of the Chrome Czars for the show, had a good time

6. El Gordo

El Gordo

To quote Yogi Berra:

"Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded."

7. dudley32

dudley32

8. So,I guess it was more like the "1000 Car Pile Up"!
    The same thing happened when Mooneyes moved to Irwindale Speedway! People waited in line for hours,some got turned away,the frwy got backed up,cars broke down,ran out of gas. It was a madhouse! The years since then have been better,but if you want to go to a show that just keeps getting bigger each year,arriving at noon or later just is bad planning! IMO!
    Most shows open the gates early for participants. Sounds like there were some dissapointed people...Too bad!

9. PORKCHOP76

PORKCHOP76
    from iowa

yeah pix some of us broke assz couldnt go.

10. TooManyFords

TooManyFords
    from Peotone IL

I live 60 miles away. Got there early and waited till nine. Got in in ten minutes. Was very laid back show. They opened a lot more space and had plenty of workers there for traffic on the grounds. Had a great time, drank a few cold ones and saw alot of nice rides. Waited for traffic to thin and left at 4.15 or so and took 10 minutes to get off property. When who ever shut it down there was still lots of parking in the rear, I would say maybe room for 100 or 2 still. It took my son three hours to get there and was turned away, He ended walking over one mile to get in. Over all had a great day and a nice show. See you next year.

11. dudley32

dudley32

you know...I'd like to see the cars....

12. PORKCHOP76

PORKCHOP76
    from iowa

weird????

13. BinderRod

BinderRod

Does Woodstock ring a bell?

I feel bad for everyone that got tuned back by 5-0

14. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

im sure any one of the Chrome Czars would welcome your expertise on holding a show of this magnatude... Since you've been into the 'kulture' for so long. Head up to the Red Cent tonight and look one of them up...

15. Just got back from the Hunnert... and maybe it was good my car wasn't ready... Awesome show!

Great turnout was a "Blessing and a Curse" for the "Chrome Czars"... Cold weather couldn't keep the massive crowds from the Fairgrounds... but the Police did...!

Morris was on overload and they couldn't control the onslought of Participants and Spectators so they basically "Shut Down" the gates so they could clear the roads.

Not the Czars fault... it was just to difficult to anticipate the "Explosive" population shift to that little town.

All in All this equated for me to spend an extra hour and a half each way!

Last edited: Oct 10, 2009
  16. There will be at least 10 threads of pictures tomorrow.

Great show and I can only speak as a Red Shirt Volunteer who worked at early morning inside the gate parking, so here is my take. Yes, I think the baby has outgrown the crib. I don't know the official count but I'm guessing it broke 1,200 easily. I've been parking 'em for 4 years now and this is the biggest turnout I've seen.

I did not get out to the highway (Rte 47) to see what was going on but inside it all seem to go well, except for trying to park hundreds of cars with spectators wandering ALL OVER. (Be careful and watch where you're going.) I did hear rumor that the traffic outside was horrendous and the police present wasn't what it might have been early on BUT I'm sure some of the Chrome Czars will be on the board to clarify things.

I will say this; I don't think that anyone associated with putting on the show has anything to apologize for. HUGE turnout with less PA announcements asking folks to move illegally parked cars tyhan prior years, and an easier time getting the initial crush of cars into the grounds and parked. I didn't think the turnout was a big as it was because I experienced so few problems inside the gate. But then again, I wasn't "in the belly of the beast" and dealing with outside the gate parking

Anyone that has a negative attitude please remember this: This show is put on COMPLETELY by volunteers and the Chrome Czars do not profit from this. The proceeds are donated to charities; last year to the tune of approximately $25,000. All in all I'd applaud all involved.

Yes it's big but as someone said earlier, the problems are what happends when you put on a kick ass show.

17. My hats off to the Chrome Czars and ALL the fine people who volunteered their time to help out in every way. THANK YOU FOR A GREAT DAY. My son and I got there about 7:30 and the line wasnt that long, we were thru the gates a little after 9:00 and parked and roaming not much later. I have to admit that the number of CLOWN cars was down this year and the number of cars total had to far exceed the number from last year. We were not aware of any problems out side the grounds until we were about to leave at about 4:00, the lines leaving were really backed up. I do believe that the show has grosely outgrown its venue and the Czars will really have to find a larger site for next year. I as most would really hate to see this show go away because it really is the BEST one of the year. Once again a great big THANK YOU to all that worked so very hard to make this show what it is. Mike

18. CayoRV

CayoRV

Heres a few pics.

Attached Files:

19. CoupeDeVille62

CoupeDeVille62
    from Chicago

as one of the many whom drove over an hour to get there - it was a real bummer to be turned away. I haven't been able to attend since the 2nd event, was really looking forward to it.

maybe next year.

20. dudley32

dudley32

21. PORKCHOP76

PORKCHOP76
    from iowa

i thought chicago was closer then that...j/k

22. Don't waste your time putting pic's on here! Start another thread,cause this one will probably get bounced!

23. smurph74

smurph74

Great show, sorry to hear some could not get in. I know people are frustrated. I guess its growing faster than they expected. It was my first pile up and had heard several people walking around saying they had never seen this many cars in the show. What a turnout!! I had no idea they were turning people away til I got home. Props to the Chrome Czars and volunteers for the great job, I am sure they will listen to suggestions and make changes as needed. I guess they will need more volunteers and I will be offering my help if they will take it.

24. CayoRV

CayoRV

A few more.

Attached Files:

25. hiboy32

hiboy32
    from Omaha, NE

I guess that means people arent afraid to spend money in these times.

In defense of some of the people that showed up ( or tried ) at or after noon, I have planned on showing then at many events . This year I happened to plan on a noon arrival at a kickass event, was supposed to be about 5 1/2 hours away and ran into incredible traffic problems about half way there and about 7-71/2 hours later I showed up and found this the biggest turnout eevvveeerrrrr and the gate was shut down. My faut. But really can I be blamed for wanting to spend another evening with the family and also not spending hotel money just to be there early? Well, now that all the good shows are filling up, more of us will have to plan accordingly.
    Sucks that the damn city shut this one down...

26. Bull

Bull

I was just about to type nearly the same thing, but you said it for me already. GREAT show! I was there from 9AM to 3:30PM and had an absolute blast!

Sorry to hear some people had issues, but this was my fourth Pile-up and it's still one of the best shows I attend . . . I'll be back every year.

27. 56oldskustom

56oldskustom
    from Joliet, IL

i went got to the show at about nine and didnt really have much of a problem getting in, but there was a ton of cars!!!! most ive ever seen at the pile up.

28. xmacx

xmacx
    from illinois

i drove about 3 hours left at 7 am got there and waited the same as last year. I do remember the first few though i remember parking very close since not as many people were coming. This show has def blown up it was def a good show again just muddy and cold. Last years like 80 degrees was killer but all in all you will see me there next year. ohh and it did take us over an hour to get back out of the parking lot thats my only complaint. Great show though one of my favs.

29. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

VERY solid point...

30. FoMoCoPower

FoMoCoPower

I got there at 7am,and was the second vehicle in line at the north entrance. Outta nowhere around 8 everyone piled in behind me. Then two rat rod pos` moved a sign and cut in line in front of me and the guy that was in front of me. WTF???

BUT,it was a great show,and I am sorry for all of those that were forced to miss it. Trust me,the Czars had nothing to do with that. They were as upset as everyone else was.