Register now to get rid of these ads!

making 38 ford pu bed question.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by recycler, Nov 2, 2004.

1. recycler

recycler

I'm going to be building a bed for my 38 ford pu and I don't have an original to use for a guide. I have all of the dimensions I need except the angle of the bend from the box side to the bed rail. Can somebody with a bed measure the angle for me? Thanks Brad

2. manyolcars

manyolcars

I would but its raining [​IMG]

3. manyolcars

manyolcars

Ok OK I went out in the pouring down rain and checked 3 of my trucks. [​IMG] It looks like 36 degrees. It will be interesting to see what others come up with. Not long ago, I got a bed from a guy who lives near you.

4. recycler

recycler

Thanks. If I found a nice bed I'd buy it. As soon as I make one I'll find a nice gennie for cheap. Isn't that the way it works? Brad

5. manyolcars

manyolcars

You know several places make reproduction beds?

6. redrepo69

redrepo69

I plan to use a 42-47 bed on my '38, looks to be the same dimensions. don't know if this helps or not......

7. bdrake

bdrake
    Member Emeritus

I scratch built the bed for my 37 Ford and made the bend at the top of the bed sides 45 degrees.

8. manyolcars

manyolcars

[ QUOTE ]
    I plan to use a 42-47 bed on my '38, looks to be the same dimensions. don't know if this helps or not......

[/ QUOTE ] 42 and up were 3 inches wider. bdrake has a point. It doesnt have to be the same as what Henry did.

9. Blownolds

Blownolds
    from So Cal

If '40-1 beds are the same as '38-9, there was a decent bed on eBay that might not have sold (you;ll need to search past auctions). I think it was in GA?

10. recycler

recycler

Part of the reason I'm making it myself is- cost and the fact that my radiator is going to be in the front of the bed behind a false front so I'd have to modify any bed I use. I may even taper the rails past the bend to create fins of sorts. Narrow at the front and wide at the rear. Thanks for the info guys. Brad

11. the stake pockets are 24.95 ea new in steel from MACPRO in moberly,Mo

12. Blownolds

Blownolds
    from So Cal

Recycler, how are you going to get airflow into that radiator???

A big scoop on the bottom side of the vehicle and lots 'n lots of louvers on the backside of that panel? I hope you are running an finned aluminum-headed flathead or something.

13. recycler

recycler

I'm running a stock 302 in it. I plan on using fans to pull the air from underneath the truch, and maybe a small scoop to help. I'll definately have lots of louvers in the panel behind it. I'll also be buying the bed stakes in MO thanks again guys. Brad