Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chop First or Channel First? Does it Matter

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chemin, Oct 8, 2009.

1. Chemin

Chemin

Yes, similar. My first inspiration was Live Wire in Rod and Custom earlier this year. Followed by MFS 5.5
    Then I've found the H.A.M.B. and found others.
    Here's some that I would like to model mine after. I don't in any way profess to have the ability to achieve the same craftsmenship as these guys but it's my vision of how I would like my car to turn out.

Attached Files:

2. Problem is all the ones you listed are 30/31...and yours is a 28/29. They look different when done. I'm not saying you can't or should not do it, just saying that it won't look quite the same. If it were me I'd hop up the car he way it is, but I like shit like that.
    Heres my pal's 29 special and other friends 29 coup.e Both chopped/channeled.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Chemin

Chemin

Yes that's one of the builds I've been following. Beautiful car.
    The full vinyl roof is starting to grow on me. I have the kit with my car and think I'll be doing the same.
    Thanks

4. Oh yeah, just noticed yours is a special coupe, too. Get out your wood glue when you chop it!!

5. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Probably not with bomber seats and a chop and channel. :rolleyes:

I'd channel it first then rock it for a bit with no chop.

6. oneratfink57

oneratfink57
    from Wisconsin

IF you REALLY have your heart set on cutting up THIS coupe.I have no problem if this is the car you want to keep and you do a good job(or at least do it the right way yourself) But back to the question. channel then chop because like it has been said, to do a proper channel, you have to and should cover the whole frame which is like a good 4 inches. so this may interfere with your head room and comfort situation if you go ahead and chop it 5 inches now your channel is gonna look gay cuz you cant even fit in the car now and have to leave the frame exposed. theres my opinion and aparently more people^:cool:

7. REK KUSTOMS 57

REK KUSTOMS 57
    from nm

that is a sweet car as is, but i say it's your car do what you want. dont worry about what other people think it's not their car. i channeled my car first and chopped it second for a few reasons, first reason would be more head room to work on the channel, second was so i can see how much head room i could sacrifice with a chop. so my opinion is channel then chop.

8. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

Amen.

9. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

Do the chopp first and leave it on the frame, and tack weld some inner bracing so the body dont buckle when you cut the top off, dont chop more than six inches, use tape to mark your chop, once your chop is done , then modify your chasis, then chanell your body once your chasis is a roller, take out the package tray and that will give you plenty of room , and dont chanell more than the width of the frame, you can probabley sell that body for 6000.00 and buy a rougher body for 2000.00 and use the earnings to help fund your project.

10. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Agreed.

11. CoolHand

CoolHand
    Alliance Vendor

I do not understand some folks on this board.

Hell, most of them saying to keep it stock actually own chopped/channeled cars.

WTH is up with that? It's OK for thee, but not for me? (or him in this case)

The crusty old buggers in the AACA and various and sundry museums around the country have preserved stock specimens for posterity's sake. As far as I'm concerned, that makes the rest of them fair game for whatever mods I can dream up.

If you want to "save" this one, step up and buy it from the man for more than he paid. Otherwise, it's his car, he can cut it up into 10,000 little pieces if he so chooses.

12. kiwicowboy

kiwicowboy
    from linwood nc

I agree with D Russ32, do the chanel first that is your foundation get it rite and then the chop good luck..

13. hotrod-40

hotrod-40

I didn't say do not chop and channel an "A". I said, do not chop and channel that car. I like chopped cars but if you are going to wack some thing up, you may as well start with something a little rougher. That is why I am using the car I am using. It has been rear-ended and has rust.
    [​IMG]

14. Chemin

Chemin

That crossed my mind but I'd much rather not have to do patch work or search for the missing parts and pay a premium for them. I am not near as talented or have the resources as you or your friend or Dreddybear or Bass. I wanted to start with the best product I could find. It just so happened that for the price I got a heck of a deal and a heck of a nice starting point.
    Tell me, if you had a choice for a decent body only or a complete car with 2 extra engines and an extra set of rims for the same price which would you choose.
    If I manage to get more talented while doing this build my next project can be in rougher shape.

Thanks for the input guys.

15. Zombie Hot Rod

Zombie Hot Rod
    from New York

Put it on a '32 frame, then chop it. That's what I would do.

16. I wouldn't chop it or channel it, but simply build a full fendered, stock roofed hot rod out of it. I'd find a little "rougher" car for a chop 'n channel project.

17. sgarofalo

sgarofalo
    from USA

I would not chop or channel that car. But If you do measure twice, etc.

18. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm 6'6'' and I chopped mine 3'' just to make the top proportional. Good luck with your build.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2009
  19. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

p.s. check out Chris' coupe. it's perfect.

20. millersgarage

millersgarage

I chopped my Special Coupe 3" and I am 6'1". I did not feel there was enough room to channel it too. There is a lot of wood in the roof of a Special, so you have to be a woodworker too.

It is your car, but I wouldn't channel it if it was mine.

There is a Special Coupe social group here on the H.AM.B. too. look it up, or see my info to find it. I also put a thread out on the roof and fabric cover that has good photos.

The only thing I would do differently on mine, is fill the roof before covering it. I get a lot of windnoise from above, on my car.

what ever your plan is, make sure you start with one :D

21. roddinron

roddinron

I think I'd sell it and use the money to buy a 32 frame and a A body. I have no problem hot rodding that car, but you already admitted you have limited ability, it would be a shame to see you cut that car up just to follow the lemmings.

22. Fenders

Fenders

I disagree. Hot rods sell for more than good original or restored Model A's.