Register now to get rid of these ads!

Who rebuilds blowers...?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Junkyard Dog 32, Jun 21, 2005.

1. Cheap...

I have a 6-71 supercharger and I think I want to put it on my coupe.
    There was a '32 3-window at BTT50s that lit the spark. :rolleyes:

Mine came from a semi, or some other big truck, and has a hydraulic drive, so I'd need that changed to a pully set-up.
    ...and I don't know if the impellers would be different between diesel and gas.

I'd just like to get it working as a "looks" blower, not for racing, so I don't need high compression. I just want it to give a little boost and make some noise. I don't have big bucks for a costly engine job, so it would be for a slightly tuff 350.

Does anyone here rebuild 'em, or know who can give me a "once over" on it, without costing me the whole farm?

Thanks...

JOE:cool:

2. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

I know of a girl who re-blows builders.

Sorry couldn't help it.

3. Got her number?

4. REJ

REJ
    from FLA

Changing to a pulley drive will be around $500-600 range without doing anything else unless you can find a pulley set up used. You will use the same rotors, but will have to change the rear bearings to sealed type as you will not be able to oil them.
    You said that it may be driven hydraulically?? Normally they are gear driven off a diesel.
    You can under drive the blower so that it is not really putting a lot of boost on your engine.

5. Scotch

Scotch

Blower Drive Service (BDS), Mike Kuhl, and Mert Littlefield all rebuild blowers to work with your setup. They're all good, but if its a street deal I'd go with BDS, if its a marine deal I'd go with Kuhl, and if its a race deal I'd go with Littlefield.

There are others, but I know these guys all do good work. They're all in SoCal.

Scotch~!

6. And it usually is cheaper to just buy a whole fresh set-up from one of those companies than to piecemeal a system together, Joe. I have been involved with 3 different blower setups in the last year, they all were silly money to work with a stock blower. Many of the companies will just use your case, thats it.

Also try Don Hampton, he did the setup for my boss drag car.

7. DILLIGAF

DILLIGAF
    BANNED

8. I was wondering that, too.

If maybe the best thing would be to sell the one I have and put it towards a done set-up.

Thanks guys...

9. hammeredabone

hammeredabone

I have almost put together two blower setups. I am mixing parts to get the optimum setup. These are 4-71's that will run 6 percent underdriven. that will give me boost of 3-4 pounds for a 327 good low end torque, top end is not as good as a 6-71 but should be agile for normal driving. And I can run a stock type motor. Bad news is sbc 4-71 manifolds have not been made in years so they are kinda pricey on ebay. You could make a manifold out of a single plane 4 barrel manifold. Flatdog posted some great pics of a fabbed manifold.
    Don Hampton is who I would recommend. He is checking both 4-71's next week. I will post pics once I get it setup on my motor.

10. MilesM

MilesM

Not sure who you picked it up from. Mike Kuhl sold Kuhl Superchargers and the new owner bailed three or four weeks ago in mid stream and left everything behind. Mike Kuhl owns the building the new owner was leasing. Mike seems like a great guy and is going to try and help me get back 2 blowers that I had there to be rebuilt when he regains access to the building if they are still there. If not, I am screwed.

11. Mutt

Mutt

Dyers is probably closest to you. I've had some real good dealings with them, and they sometimes have e-bay deals that are reasonable.

http://dyersblowers.com/index.html

Mutt

12. hammeredabone

hammeredabone

13. Slag Kustom

Slag Kustom

i had looked into getting a used 6-71 rebuilt acouple years ago and it was alittle cheaper then just buying a new setup. If yours is right off a truck and you need all the parts(drive intake pulleys carb plate) it is cheaper to buy a complete new set up then rebuild.

14. krooser

krooser

Call Rick @ Dean Blowers...he's in Washington state...charges $275.00 for the rebuild plus parts...mine came to about $550.00 with bearings, seals, rear cover, machine work, etc. Good price...fast turnaround...highly recommended.
    I've got about $1400.00 in my whole set-up including new manifold, new blower drive, used top plate and blower core.

15. MMMmmmmm...blower....

16. Now... THAT'S what I'm talkin' about... :)

Thanks...

Dyers sounds like the next logical choice, after that, I guess...

I got my core from a farmer who was going to take it apart and sell the case for the aluminum.
    I offered him the $14.00 I had in my pocket, and he was happy.

My coupe's gonna be faster than a taco through a Minnesota soccer mom.

17. So who did you have build your blower? What did you have done and how bad was the damage?

18. Never did have it done. The price of gas shot up and made me rethink the whole deal. If I didn't drive the car so much I wouldn't worry about it, but it's my daily driver in the warm months.

Still have the blower, though... and I do think about it from time to time. :rolleyes:

19. racer756

racer756

FYI, Try RBS Superchargers for any "Roots" type Blower stuff. The owner is a guy named J.R. he used to work at RCD engineeing. the racers blower drive supplier. www,rbssuperchargers.com

20. Actually I had narrowed things down to Rick Dean or RBS. Looking for something to sway me one way or another.

21. Blownolds

Blownolds
    from So Cal

I can get you a 5% discount on service work from Supercharger USA. Tim's work is METICULOUS. But I wouldn't call him cheap. I think you probably get what you pay for with superchargers.

22. riceman

riceman

What is Rick Dean's phone number ?

Attached Files:

23. 360-451-2119

Tell him Josh from Atlanta says Hi!

24. Rick will also suggest tripple pinning the drive gears to the rotors. I didn't see that mentioned in the article. Good Article.

25. Garyr

Garyr

Attached Files:

26. Here's the one that Gary built for me to use on the digger.

BTW Gary, the engine is mostly together. :)

Attached Files:

27. ABBoston

ABBoston
    from Boston

google a guy named john erb

AB

28. RagtopA

RagtopA

I've been doing a lot of shopping around for the best bang for the buck. Rick Dean seems to be offering the most for the least. He will rebuild your core or sell you what he has in stock. 360-451-2119, in Lilliwaup, WA. He sells on ebay (has ebay store, with 100% satisfaction rating.) He offers a compete setup (manifold, drive, belt, blower and carb plate) all polished for $2900.00 for Chrysler 440. Comparable prices for other motors. As of now he will be the guy I'll buy from. Good luck.