Register now to get rid of these ads!

What has happened to real rod runs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldspert, Oct 6, 2009.

1. oldspert

oldspert
    from Texas

Correct me if I am wrong, but it seems to me that rod runs have changed from what they used to be. There used to be driving events, games, driving skill shows, and other types of things that made a rod run actually fun to attend. Now it seems that the only thing a rod run is, is sitting in lawn chairs and BS'ing about the cars and old friendships. What ever happened to "Fun With Cars".

2. go to different shows.

3. oldspert

oldspert
    from Texas

That's just it, All of the shows are the same, just shows.

4. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

Organize an old time rod run or a poker run or a reliability run. Problem solved. No lawn chair required.

5. James Maxwell

James Maxwell
    from So-Cal

40 years later, less energy.

6. doctorZ

doctorZ

insurance and lawyers.

7. BigVinDaddyMac

BigVinDaddyMac

8. xmacx

xmacx
    from illinois

pocohantas IL I go to a run just like you are talking about every year. Tons of games Tons of fun home made trophies, a poker run water balloon toss all of it one of the most layed back shows i have ever went to. A must every year for me. NO trophies for fav car or any of that bullshit either. Sd i guess what i am saying is dont give up they are still out there you just have to know where to look.

mac

9. Big Tony

Big Tony

Hey Bud...Big Ken and I have talked about doing one for a year now and always seem to get tied up with Texas Thaw stuff. We are still planning on doing oneafter the Thaw. Someone did a garage craw last winter and it was a sucess, except i did not make it. This is also why I added a garage/ shop run after the breakfast run last month. I'm thinking of doing another one for the first part of November and will probably be in the Mckinney or Plano area since the last two were in Irving and Lewisville. Thought it would be good to switch it up around the merto-mess and give everyone a home-field chance.

10. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

What do those two things have to do with a bunch of friends going out for a long drive?

11. Boyd Who

Boyd Who

I've been wondering the same thing myself. Around here all the shows are open events, with everything from rods to brand-new Camaros attending. I never realized that hot rodding would get this politically correct, and I think it sucks! I'm hoping to start heading south in to the US next year to hit some events that will hopefully be a little bit better.

12. They are out there. Start one of your own. If you build it, they will come!

Check out some threads on the Swindlers Poker Run, or Flatheads only run being planned in the PNW. Mort's reliability run is probably the best known. Here in Japan, almost all the shows I go to involve some sort of "cruise" to the show, albeit not necessarily formalized.

13. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

You need to read up on the Hill Country 100 from two weeks ago. It was just what you're looking for.

14. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

Mortys' Relieability Run was a real good time , but alas it fell victim to it's own success, it got to big for it's own good. The last one was one of the best runs I was ever on. Morty knows how to close'em down in style!

15. Doc Squat

Doc Squat
    from tulsa, ok

Our club (Early Rods of Tulsa) used to put on a run every year. Last year we did it we had over $5000.00 of give aways. Bikes for the kids,a built 350, a turbo glide trans, flower arrangments for the ladies, games and trophys, and a $10.00 entry fee. Some people bitched cause we didn't have enough stuff to give away. Right after that we said fu*k it, no more.

16. Move to New Zealand.

We have then on a regular basis............ :D:)

17. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

We got old fat and lazy.

Another thing that people never think about is that it takes volunteers to man those shows and driving events. The old rod runs were put on by clubs and had to supply all the man power for those local events. It was a lot of work both planing, organizing and manning all of the activities. Everything from the registration desk to the kids games were all staffed by club members that rarely got to see a hot rod. Some of us decided that we wanted to enjoy the show also. All the "volunteers" (assigned job as a club member) ever got from the participants was the whining and complaining about what was not perfect.

If you find one you like, make a point to thank the peons that make it work.

18. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

At the NSRA Nats North, I was told (I could't go) one of the vendors was renting electric scooters from the Scooter Store. That alone should tell you why there isn't more activity at rod runs...

19. Jalopy Jim

Jalopy Jim

Pair A Dice cruisers and the GTO ckub are having one this weekend. Last year we had a great tour of the SW Wisc landscape.
    Earlier this year were had a meeting cruise to a Collector car dealer in Annedale Mn, Cruise to Cantabery Downs race track.
    I guess that why cruisers are in our club name.

jim h

20. I have more fun driving to and from the shows otherwise most can be boring.

21. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

The NSRA isn't even relevant to this site. Their shows have nothing to do with hot rodding.

Frankly dude, you are just going to the wrong car shows... Stay away from the giant shows that try to be everything and attend some of the smaller gatherings. Typically, these events revolve around actually driving the car and not sitting somewhere all day...

22. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

HAMB Drags for one... Jalopy Showdown... and there are more. You are going to the wrong ones. Take the Drags, we had guys that drove their cars well over 1000 miles each way and hammered it down the strip while they were there. You can't have more fun...

23. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

No they're not, you're just not attending the fun ones.;)

24. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Get together with likeminded folks and plan an event of your own. Pick a starting point and destination. Make sure it includes some scenery and interesting places to stop, get out, stretch your legs and maybe some refreshments. Plan a stop for a real meal were you can relax for awhile. Return by a different route maybe dropping off the participants along the way.
    DeuceRoadster has an event every year for Deuces that looks like a good time. Maybe contact him and see how it is planned. I always have a better time getting to and returning from an event. Isn't that the point of having these cars..................driving them?

Frank

25. It seems that more and more Gold Chainers have gotten involved and trailer their cars to the shows hoping to get an award that they can show their Buddy's over martinis. Like some have said go to the local shows and get to know them. At the GG Del Mar run they have a Poker run on the Thursday before.

26. Slonaker

Slonaker

Absolutely. I attend the Barons' show portion every year, and finally got the car going this year. Their reliability run was a blast! They also had valve cover races, a blindfolded death race, bands, and other stuff.

Slonaker

27. Tommy has the answer to this one. It is a heck of a lot easier to talk about it on a forum than it is to find the volunteers and people it takes to put on such an event.
    Plus, there is always the jerk that gets behind the wheel and spoils it for everyone.
    I still enjoy seeing old friends and beautiful cars and women, always the women.

28. Home Brew

Home Brew

I agree that the Radius Rods run at Pocahontus is a great one. I've been going there for the last nine years. They have the run rain or shine and it is always a great time. Some thing going on all the time.

29. oldspert

oldspert
    from Texas

Good responses. It just seems to me that most of the local, small things are just shows. No question about the larger meets because the organizing would be crazy trying to get entrants involved in anything other than show and shine. I remember back in late 70's-early 80's when I was more actively involved in rod runs that there was more entrant participation than there is now. And Ryan, I know this site has nothing to do with the NSRA or anything associated with them, just used the slogan to question why there seems to be less fun than the old days. Can't wait to get my 46 on the road. It will not be tagged as an antique because I plan on driving it every day.

30. doctorZ

doctorZ

long drives: nothin. but track times, driving games and whatnot in 'home-built' cars are not an easy sell to whoever owns the property. they and the show hosts are responsible for the drivers and spectators.