Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Which windshield to use on 29 Chev Roadster

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Winky8, Oct 6, 2009.

1. Hi All

Just got myself a 1929 Chevy Roadster just waiting for it to be delivered. I am trying to decide on what winsdshield to put on it. I want a chopped one but cant find a chevy one so was wondering if anyone knows any other that will fit.
    Heres some pics of the car.

Attached Files:

2. Is that a coupe with the top cut off?
    Why not chop what's already there? I have what I believe to be a '29 roadster windshield that I could take some measurements of if you would like.

3. A Little Odd

A Little Odd

I got a 28' Chevy cowl which is the same as the 29' except the firewall is recessed 28 =4cyl / 29= 6cyl. I have a Model A closed car frame and it seemed to match well. I'm going to make a rpu and I will trim the frame for the roadster look.

I can take pics. I could use some ideas myself if you are willing to share progress of yours.

4. F&J

F&J

That looks like a coupster/cut down, not a roadster. So, just rework what is there. Cut, chop or slant it.

5. I am not enitrely sure till i get it here and investigate properly. I have looked at pics of both coupes and roadsters and cant really tell, if its a coupe then the frame has been cut off and smoothed,the frame in the pics is not fixed. It looks like it has roadster doors. if you could take to dimensions that would be great.

6. That wouldbe great hopefully the car will be here soon

7. A Front Pictrure

Attached Files:

8. F&J

F&J

Still looks like a cut down. A roadster of that year is quite a bit narrower up at the cowl. The 29 roadster w/s is very narrow, and not very tall.

go on carnut.com for pics. "car index" then follow the instructions to chevy, then 1929

9. A Little Odd

A Little Odd

10. Theres no 29 roadsters on Carnut but i found this one

No too fussed if it is a cut down or not just looking for a nice looking windshield to go on it

Attached Files:

11. TERPU

TERPU

I'm not being a smartass here I promise. Cut the posts off and use '29 Roadster pieces even of you have to re-shape the cowl. That would look alot better even if it's not exactly the right dimensions. A Roadster has to have the separate windshield to look right. A little bit of work but so worth the effort.

Tim

12. Thats kind of the lines i was thinking just need to find the roadster bits. I think the posts are already cut off and the frame just sat fot the pics. As you can tell i have not actually seen the car in the flesh.

13. That isn't a roadster. This is how the cowl and doors are meant to look.
    (powder blue roadster is '31)
    Nice project though.

Attached Files:

14. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Jimmy B that is a kool 29.Great stance it has some attuide about it. Did you replace the wood in the body with a steel tubing frame work?

15. Jimmy B~thanks for the roadster pic, kinda the direction I'm trying to go except 6 cylinder and a hood to cover it

Attached Files:

16. The bare metal one is from NZ, mine is the one in primer I did replace the wood http://www.d1082234.domain.com/chevspeedster.html

That will be cool. here is one from the 60s in Australia similar to what you are doing.

Also another one of the Kiwi '29, the windshield is '32 Ford

Attached Files:

17. I know what a real roadster looks like that's why I posted the pic above of an actual 29 roadster. There are plenty of roadsters from cut down coupes I was simply asking for help finding a nice windshield frame.

18. Actually you haven't posted a pic of a roadster, and I typed that the bare metal '29 has a '32 ford screen and posts. also you might want to look at MG, Austin Healey and other pommy open cars as a source of windscreen and frame. The other option is make your own.

:Edit: I saw you are now in the US not UK

Are you going to lop off the windshield posts?

Last edited: Oct 6, 2009
  19. Thanks I like the chopped screen on the bare metal one that is the kind I am thinking of.

Also you are right the pic above of the beige one is a cabriolet not a roadster, apologies my terminology is off. When I searched google foir 29 roadster this is what it threw back at me. Never realised they were different I learn something new every day