Register now to get rid of these ads!

Engine Cleaning

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Wicked50, Oct 5, 2009.

1. Wicked50

Wicked50

Just wondering what should I use to clean my engine of all the dirt and grime? Anyone use L.A. Totally Awesome Cleaner to clean their engine

Last edited: Oct 5, 2009
  2. rippintare

rippintare

3. Easy off oven cleaner.

4. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Any of the high quality motorcycle cleaners works great for me. Gary

5. rhd

rhd
    from austin tx

really?:confused:

6. I used 'Marine clean' from the POR range of products, not too nasty(water soluable) and does a good job.

7. Among other things, have used Gunk Engine Brite (i think that's the name).
    Washes off with water.

Oven cleaner will work, too.

W D 40 will cut some grease, as will Brake Clean spray. Or just good ole mineral
    spirits or paint thinner.

8. Careful, it's hard on polished aluminum, I use castol super clean but you have to watch that around those surfaces too.

9. Simple green and a small natural bristle, paint brush. Go easy on polished aluminum, dilute the cleaner. "Hot water" to dip the brush in, helps oil and grease to flow off.

10. TraderJack

TraderJack

the first thing you do is take the car down and have the engine compartment steam cleaned! Then you can do the hard parts, Never work to clean the easy parts as they get clean when you are trying to get the bad stuff off the engine.

Traderjack

11. steve53

steve53

second to that. easy off works great.

12. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

Simple green is the best and the cheapest, just spray and wipe, then you can go back with a rag with laquer thiner and clean before you paint

13. rhd

rhd
    from austin tx

ok i got a motor to clean im gonna give it a try in the next day to 2

14. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

Dollar store oven cleaner

15. InsaneEmpire909

InsaneEmpire909
    from 909

if the motor is not running, then spry the easyoff and get the motor out to the sun (easyoff is heat activated) shit worked great oh and put some visquine or cardborad under it Like I for got to haha

16. trad27

trad27

yup, It also takes the paint off under the grim

17. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

Take your car to a self-service car wash that has HOT water. Spray the hell out of it on the "WASH" setting (high pressure soap and hot water).............then rinse.

Hot water is the key. I've done it for years and my engines look like new.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2009
  18. Frank

Frank

x2! Works great for me. It will etch aluminum and other non-ferrous metals and damage paint. Its basically lye in a spray form so only use it in a ventilated area but not where a breeze can blow it on you or other things it can damage...and wear gloves

19. chubbie

chubbie

works better than easyoff..half price

20. The Gambler

The Gambler

THIS is why you NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, wash your car at a self-service car wash.And yes this works, just don't get caught!(hoping your car starts after spraying the hell out of it...use tape and plastic!)

21. Greaseballs

Greaseballs

Is the engine in or out of the car??

If the engine is out of the car, I let the engine sit outside in the hot sun, spray the cheap dollar store oven cleaner on it, let it sit for a few hours more in the hot sun, then hose it down with a high pressure washer or a high pressure nozzle attached ot a garden hose. Two cycles like this and the engine is typically cleaned, ready for tear down.

If the engine is still in the car.....I used to take the car down to the local car wash and power wash the engine bay....grime would fly all over and I typically found myself going home to manually wash grease and grime off the entire car AND still having an engine bay that needed more cleaning and detailing. Now I do it all in my driveway. I spray on some type of grease cutter (simple green, whatever) onto a warm (not hot) engine and hose it off with the garden hose. After a couple wash downs like this I then do the detail work with brushes, rags, hot water in a bucket, grease cutter and elbow grease throughout the entire engine bay followed by the last rinse off from the garden hose.

Have fun!

22. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

I have never had a problem starting afterwards, but you're the expert.

23. budd

budd

i buy no name de-gresser from a big box store, the real canadian super store, $7 a gallon, mix it 4 to 1.

24. torchmann

torchmann
    BANNED
    from Omaha, Ne

The service techs at ingersoll rand use a citrus soap that works awsome on dirt and grease. On the hardest baked on carbon ezoff will soften it up. EZ off is LYE.
    You can make your own by hydrating LYE drain cleaning crystals, It makes a very strong base which is why it oxydizes aluminum

25. simple, get you a case of cheep tooth brushes and some rags a gallon of de greaser and some car wash soap a bucket a hose a pair of pliers( just in case), 2 hand fulls of quarters and the most important, 3 6 packs of carona.
    now, go to the local home depote, fillyour car with mexicans drive it the nearist self searve car wash, have the mexicans do all the work and detail your car as you watch, pay em off the the beer, pliers and hose are for when you run out of quarters and have to use the faucet without a handle on the side of the building.

26. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Soak it down with Simple green or Oil Eater (it comes in gallons at Costco or the parts houses. let it set a bit and spray wash it off. Wear old clothes when you do it though. The splash back can be a booger at times.
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

27. Aluminum foil works well too, and is easier to form around things that need to be protected.;)

28. Wicked50

Wicked50

Thanks for all the info guys