Register now to get rid of these ads!

question: how to put a mechanical fuel pump in a TPI (originally) chevy 350???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by atch, Oct 5, 2009.

1. atch

atch

A non-hamber friend bought a 90something Chevy pickup so he can use the drivetrain in a project. The engine is fuel injected; therefore it has no mechanical fuel pump. Everything appears to be there to install a mechanical pump, except that the "hole" where the pump shaft sticks into the block doesn't go all the way through. Apparently these are cast that way.

So, the question: can he machine out the cast iron in the "bottom" of this "hole" and then install a mechanical fuel pump? Or is he stuck with using an electric fuel pump?

2. The TBI 350 I pulled yesterday has the fuel pump block off plate. There may not be a pump eccentric on the camshaft. I'll be watching this subject closely.

3. chevymike

chevymike

Based on what I know, can it be done? Yes, but is it practical to do? No. I believe these need to be fairly acturate in size and location, which having the block in a jig and machining the hole, it would work fine. Taking a drill and doing it, most likely not so much. With the amount that will need to be drilled, you're most likely going to have to tear down the engine so you can clean all the shavings out.

Other thing is I believe the cam does not have a fuel pump lobe so you would be swapping the cam out too.

Best, easiest, cheapest is going to be an electric pump.

Others may have better info but that's my .02 worth.

4. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Run an electric pump and then gut a mechanical pump and bolt it on there. You wouldn't be the first-

5. whatever

whatever

:confused: lol a fake fuel pump

6. brandon

brandon

who'd think....:eek: my late model only has 1 bolt hole drilled and tapped. it'll just get a finned cover.

7. I just noticed you said TPI not TBI. I don't think the TPI will run without the computer. Good luck.

8. atch

atch

The engine will be rebuilt (it's torn down now) and get a new cam.

The mounting holes for the fuel pump are there (there's a block-off plate on it now). It's the 4 bolt fuel pump version, not the 2 bolt version. the engine has been rebuilt at least once. The existing cam actually has the lobe on it, although since it's getting a new cam that really doesn't matter.

9. atch

atch

I said TPI but I really don't know which it has. It'll be getting a manifold and single 4-bbl carb.

10. atch

atch

anyone else have a definitive answer?