Register now to get rid of these ads!

getting a 48 chrysler to lay frame.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by REK KUSTOMS 57, Oct 4, 2009.

1. REK KUSTOMS 57

REK KUSTOMS 57
    from nm

i'm helping my freind bag his 48 chrysler windsor. he wants it to lay frame but by spending as little money as possible. we already plan on notching the rear and doing a 4-link, but for the front does anyone know how to modify either the spindles or a-arms to get a couple extra inches lower? or any place that might sell drop spindles for a 48 chrylser? i appreciate any input. thanks.

2. Orn

Orn

3. REK KUSTOMS 57

REK KUSTOMS 57
    from nm

ok thanks, i'm gonna have to study the a-arms a little closer and see what would work.

4. RodStRace

RodStRace

Hardest part is the drop in the front center of the frame.

P.S. Why does everyone want to do major work but have no money?

5. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

When the thread came up I was gonna post that but..

what is it with all these posts anymore about major surgery and not wanting to spend teh $$

I can understand trying to save a buck,,but yeah everyone wants this and that on the cheap,,which it seem ends up with some scary rigging

or all these less than up to par parts selling left and right ,,then folks complaining when the break or don't fit:confused:

"everybody wants to go to heaven ,but no one wants to die"

6. Tinbasher

Tinbasher

Since the point here is cheap!! Why not go out and find a 60 -70's chrysler and take the stub frame out of it and weld it to your rails. You should be able to buy a beater cheap or tow it away for the car. This will give you a lower front end, torsion bar suspension and more modern suspension and brakes.

OTB

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Those 70 something Mopars don't have enough subframe to do a swap outside of the Volarie style cars.

Unless you have access to a lot of equipment and the skill to use it plus a big scrap pile to dig through it's going to be hard to get that car down to the ground safely and cheaply at the same time.

8. REK KUSTOMS 57

REK KUSTOMS 57
    from nm

well like i said, it's my friends car and i guess he's broke, damn economy, and he asked for my help. personally i always prefer doing things myself rather than paying someone else to do it. same with parts. if it's something i can do or make myself SAFELY. . . then i figure why not, it gives me that much more pride in my work. and hell, if it breaks, what better way to learn from your mistakes.

9. murfman

murfman

Fat man makes some nice lowered spindles for the early Mopars I think you can get 2" there, and the stock front suspension is actually pretty good, much better than the contemporary Ford or GM stuff IMHO. Do the spindles and Bag it IIRC there are bags that will fit in the factory coil location with some custom spacers. Me I just cut 2 coils of the stock springs.