Register now to get rid of these ads!

Good places to stop on Rt 66???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tankwilson, Sep 25, 2009.

1. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

I'm glad you can translate incoherent rambling, and yes I have been known to be a drunken ass...:)

2. FLAT-TOP BOB

FLAT-TOP BOB
    HAMB O'dex Editor

be sure and see the famous gas station in shamrock texas and come down to wellington if you want to see the junk yard.

3. NM Sandrail

NM Sandrail
    Member Emeritus

4. Scott

Scott

Ditto on Seligman and Galixy diner in Flagstaff
    Oatman is neat also, a little off the path but worth the trip!!

5. tankwilson

tankwilson

So what are some other smaller stops that are cool that you don't read about in the books and on the net? I got a year to plan this trip and i am sure we won't get to do it all.

Thanks guys and gals.

6. rt66jt

rt66jt
    from York, PA

I've done Rt. 66 from Chicago to Needles, still need to finish the trip. Some great suggestions have already been made, so I'll just add these general guidelines:
    1. No chain motels
    2. No chain restaurants
    3. Stop at anything that looks remotely interesting
    4. Talk to the people you encounter

When I went to the Grand Canyon, I took the train from Williams, AZ. Lots of fun, including entertainment and a "train robbery." I also witnessed on Old West "gunfight" in Williams.

Take your time, the journey is the point.

7. swimeasy

swimeasy

Yup, Dont miss that restored station in shamrock if your into old style stations!

8. BettyBlue

BettyBlue

Seligman is really cool! Cars the movie was based on this town!

9. A100

A100

10. tankwilson

tankwilson

Thanks for all the great info. Now the next question. When is the best time to go. We would like to go the week before labor day weekend but are concerned that it might be too hot (traveling in a chopped black car with no air) Should we wait a few weeks?

Thanks
    matt

11. Commish

Commish
    from NW Ok

Tank, I was through there in August in the early 90's, temps were about the mid 90's and low humidity. Felt good to me, but I have arthritis and have always felt better in the heat. If the food is still as good at the Copper Cart in Seligman as it was back then you ought to try it. I ate a hot sandwich called a Southwestern Melt, a slab of beef on a big bun with grilled onions and cherry peppers topped with Monterrey Jack cheese, and homemade french fries. Makes my mouth water now just to think about it. Have a good trip.

12. Blown Mopar

Blown Mopar
    from abc

If you stop in Seligman at the Snow Cap drive in ask for a small cone. As stated before Hackberry is cool for a car guy. Lots of project material. Walk a short ways up the hill to the left of the store. Talk to the guy inside. He's got some not-for-sale flat head speed equipment Go through Kingman and pick up Shinearump Rd. Go back towards Kingman on the service road heading into Kingman. You'll find Rt66 Motors. He has a ton of cars from the fifties and sixties for sale. Head back on shinearump road the other way, It is old high way 66. It goes to Oatman and it is one of the most beautiful desert drives you will ever have. The road is narrow and twisty. My folks drove it on the way to CA many times. Its a testament to my dads calm manner. I kicked the back of the seat and asked if we were there yet probably a hundred times and I'm still alive. In Oatman you'll see lots of old west. Have a burro breath burger, Be careful of the burros if they see it it's theirs. If you go further west, buy gas in AZ. They are real proud of gas in CA.

13. Greasy64

Greasy64

My son and I stayed at the Du Beau hostel in Flagstaff. it is an old motor hotel that is now an international hostel. It has good parking (right outside your room) inexpensive and is a great time compared to a regular motel. The people that stay there are usually tourists from all over the world and in my experience way more friendly and interesting. They got the free Coffee on 24/7 and they feed you a free breakfast in an old dining room. Extreeeemly friendly staff knows the area and can help you out planning the grand canyon tour or whatever else. I had to take the daily driver but would have loved to take an older ride. All those foreign tourists would have loved to see some American Iron in the P-lot.

14. stop in williams.. the motel rooms are cheap and clean. and check out the "world famous" sultana bar. also take a detour to Jerome if ya can. and check out the gold king mine. nothing but rare old stuff and a 10,000" 3 cylender and you can hear it run.

15. metalman

metalman

I stopped in Seligman for gas once, put 18 1/2 Gallons into a 16 Gallon tank :eek:. Figured it was part of the old time 66 thing! Small gas tank, bad gas milage and the desert SW was never a good combo. Ever HAD to buy gas in Ludlow Ca.?

16. dmw56

dmw56

Big Texan Amarillio TX
    [​IMG]

Shamrock, TX
    [​IMG]

Tucumcari, NM
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cuervo, NM
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]