Register now to get rid of these ads!

Self etching primer

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bobby dublin, Oct 3, 2009.

1. bobby dublin

bobby dublin
    from louisiana

This has probably come up before, but I'm kinda new to this site. Can anyone suggest a good self etching primer to use on my current project (63 nova wagon)? There are alot of them out them and just wanted to know what the best was.

2. Try eastwood website , they have excellent etching primers,,,,,,

3. tnrotter

tnrotter
    from Tennessee

I've used Transtar self etching primer with a 2K topcoat for years with great success. I purchase it from a mobile body shop supply guy. Check with a local body shop and ask about such a person in your area. These guys usually carry primers, sealers, body filler, sandpaper, masking paper, etc for alot cheaper than you can go into a autobody paint store and purchase them. tnrotter

4. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

What are you going to top coat your primer with? Not all self etching primers as a good match for all top coats! Also, not all self etching primers can be used over or under plastic filler repairs. Be sure to select a product that is fully compatable with all other products used on your paint job. Your local paint supply "should '' be able to supply you with the answers based on what is available in your area.

Swanky Devil C.C.
    " Hypocrisy is the Vaseline of social intercourse ''

5. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

welcome to site. kinda new?? first post! next time before starting a new thread do a search here on subject that you are looking for info on. then after reading existing posts start a new thread. yes, reading existing posts can take time, but you need to do your part too.

6. inliner54

inliner54

PPG or Dupont both have good ones but make sure to read the tech sheets on their websites to make sure they will work for you

7. 53 Chevyply

53 Chevyply

Ppg dp40...........

8. bbc 1957 gasser

bbc 1957 gasser

duponts variprime acid etching ..

9. Zookeeper

Zookeeper

He stole my answer. I would never use company A's primer, company B's base, and follow it up with someone else's clear. Before you strip the car, find a paint system that you (or your painter) like and proceed from there. For instance, lots of painters beleive in self-etch primers, but House of Kolor only recommends their epoxy, shot directly over bare metal and/or fiberglass. Kosmoski beleives that anything between the epoxy and metal is just asking for trouble. However that is not etched in granite if you use another brand of material. Maybe you like PPG, or DuPont or something else, and they may suggest something else. Also, many times, I have had the paint store counter guy tell me something that directly contradicts what the manufacturer says. In that case, go with the manufacturer every time. Counter jockeys are not chemists or engineers, regardless of what they say.

10. Chaoticcustoms

Chaoticcustoms

Never liked etch. Id go with the epoxy..

11. krooser

krooser

"best" is pretty subjective.

I think the operator makes as much difference in the final product as the product itself.

I use Kirker paint from www.smartshoppersinc.com ... but I'm far from being a professional.

12. Nefarious Art

Nefarious Art
    from Auburn, Ca

duplicolor. just kidding don't listen to me.

13. mikhett

mikhett
    from jackson nj

OLD TECHNOLOGY! Go with an epoxy primer. I use HOK KP2cf or SPI white epoxy.Most body fillers dont like the acid in the etch.

14. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I think it's DP 90 now. Don't have to wait 30 min for activator anymore. :D

15. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

They're just different colors.

16. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

And not a self-etch either...

17. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

well that too... :p

18. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Plus it costs like $300! :D :D

19. Zookeeper

Zookeeper

$300?? Jeez, you can get a whole car painted for that much, cantcha??

20. DeucePhaeton

DeucePhaeton

I'm not a painter but have been to a few seminars and have a friend that is a sales rep. Everybody recommends using the same brand of paints from top to bottom. Mixing brands is the number one reason for failure.

21. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

Try Valspar ,Direct to Metal. Two part mix , that goes on easy with little shrinkage and is easy to sand . I've used it for several years , with no problems. good luck

22. inliner54

inliner54

yes you can with a mix of tractor paint and over reduced 15 year old acrylic enamel it will be show quality.;)