Register now to get rid of these ads!

OT... I'm kinda lost for words

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by zippeay, Oct 2, 2009.

1. storm king

storm king

So are you planning to stay in Utah, or was that just an assignment? Are you currently at Hill? I would expect there to be plenty of Civil service oportunites there for you if you choose, and you'd make more than your active military counterparts. What part of the country would you likely move to if you chose to?
    I'm former Air Force. I run an aviation/aerospce composites company in Kentucky, and we're thinking about a move into some complete firewall forward work for the OEM's.

2. zippeay

zippeay
    from Hooper, Ut

Ya, I'm here at Hill. I was actually born on Base. My father was stationed here. He was actually in the same squadron I am in "649th CLSS". My father was a Chief "E-9" of my squadron back in 88. It was pretty sad actually, the Air Force closed my squadron last night. We had our closure ceramony yesterday and a diner last night and both my Dad and I attended as well as a bunch of retiree's etc. For those of you that don't know the 649th CLSS was the military Depot for C130, F-117, F-4, F-16's, A-10's, and the F-22. It had been active since VietNam. For some dumb ass reason, someone that knows nothing about what we did decided they should close the squadron t save money. Now they want to send civilian contractors to do what we did. They are already having a hard time doing it because if the civilians don't want to go they just don't go. Plus they charge 3x what we did and usually take twice as long to finish lol. The reason they made our squadron in Vietnam was because the civilian contractors were getting killed in Vietnam. Just doesn't make much sense to me but I don't get paid to think about that I guess. Sorry about the rant, just a little gee wiz stuff....

3. Mark H

Mark H
    from Scotland

I served 12 years in the R.A.F. as a vehicle technician,then 10 years as a Police Officer.Had to retire due to injuries sustained on duty in the early days of my Police service.Retired 2003.
    I work from home as a steel fabricator now,never been happier,though I do sometimes miss my old careers.
    My advice?You've done your bit for your country,take the pension,find a job you enjoy with hours to suit you,and kick back a while and enjoy life!
    Good luck
    regards Mark

4. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Fuck man, if you think you can beat the discharge do it, fight with everything you fucking have.
    I did but, I still knew I was too fucked up to serve but I had to fight.
    Seriously man, its like loosing a close family member, hell its like loosing your wife. The problem is, you wont realise this until its too late.

Doc.

5. sota

sota

Thank you for serving!!!!

6. bkap

bkap

This is a bummer for you, for sure. My only advice (and it sounds like you already know what you are doing) is to make sure you have all your medical records before you are discharged, then beat feet to the nearest VA. You'd be surprised how many guys screw around before applying for disability and then have to scramble to find their records. The AF rating probably won't mean much to the VA. My first go around (I got out of the Army in '72) with the VA, where I thought I did everything right, came out that I got 10 percent for four things that were each given 0 percent. Go figure.

Last year I was reevaluated for another thing I hadn't claimed before (but should have) and got bumped up to 40 percent but they left off a couple of the original four things. Now I've got to go through it all again for another couple of %. Not sure it's worth it. Still, it's much better now then it was in the early '70s and many of the staff there are great. Some, of course, still not so much.

Hang in there. At least you're getting a good pension out of them.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2009
  7. firemancooter

firemancooter

Thank you for your service. Good luck in whatever direction you go.

8. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

Oh....one other thing i found out when I damaged the nerve (Common peroneal) in my leg (post crash) the neuro doc said that nerves grow back in the length of 1 inch a month....it took me 4 months to feel my leg again....dunno if this applies to you BUT the old mindset was that nerves do not regrow....

Fight it....

Fuck em by stayin! (if ya wanna that is)

9. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

you've served. more than a lot of people have done, myself included.

you made it man, this is it-your'e out. it's a new chapter in your life.

now you can spend more time building hotrods and freakin out squares.

10. spook498

spook498

You know, the Navy is going through the same thing. They went contract on the training squadrons line division. Since then, the Navy has been finding out that when you cant "order" the civilians around, stuff doesnt get done when it needs to be done. So the Navy is forcing a new contract on the contractor, with tight stipulations that EVERYONE knows they cant meet.

Now, as for you...

If you really want to stay in, fight it and stay in. At least to stay in long enough to cross rate to something else that will pay like a slot machine on the outside. Let the AF pay for your school without using your GI bill.

If you feel you havent done enough yet to serve your country, then try civil service. Your enlistment time will count towards a Federal retirement. There are civil service jobs both at Hill, and in SLC itself. Or maybe even try Mountain Home.

Or, just chalk it up and head to the private sector. Yes, you will make more money than enlistment and civil service, however, if you go contract, well, contracts come and go unless you are in with a company that is tied into the AF in a very MAJOR way. Its like where I work, I am civil service, but there have been 5 different contract companies on the base, in 14 years. The jobs are mostly the same, only the names on the shirts change.

If you do opt to out, take everything they will give you, and then some.

Best of luck!

11. joebuick

joebuick

this is a shitty situation and I feel for you, I've got a couple of friends in the corps. with me fighting med sep but it's not helping much for them I can see why you feel the way you do but It's a hard thing to fight. Whatever the out come best of luck to you in the future.

12. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

Zip, thank you for servining, as a retired Navair hydraulicsman myself I see two opitions, take your well deserved bennies or if you want to finish your goal, ie; your twenty, tell them you will change your mos to suit their needs...finishing your service is your goal it really doesn't matter what your contribution is as long as it is going make a diffference, remember it is about service to country, I love your heart:)

13. zippeay

zippeay
    from Hooper, Ut

Thanks again everyone. There was a few people that mentioned having surgery. I have had surgery twice to try and fix this. There is only one other surgery they can try and its called a nerve graft. Basically they take a nerve from somewhere and transplant it. It only has a 30% success rate and if it doesn't work my hand will be worse. I've had this injury for almost two years and I've done a ton of phys therapy. I'm not giving up on it but sometimes you just have to realize it probably won't get better. I still use my hand as much as I can every day. My plan right now is to hopefully get hired as a contractor on base then work my ass off to get a DOD civilian slot. I will miss the Air Force but I will still contribute to it by working with them. Thanks everyone for your advice.

14. ChuckleHead_Al

ChuckleHead_Al

Hey Nick keep your head up, listen to Eric's g-ma she knows waz up... Enjoy your retirement, look at those jobs that have been offered to you as an oppurntunity to get more loot for your family and your rides. You know if you ever need anything from The BARONS we will do our best to help (btw, they should be saving some shirts from this show and last years that I will be shipping to you as soon as I get back).
    Now how about that move to San Antonio?????
    Oh and always tell yourself, things could be worse, you are in a better position than most people in our country, take advantage of it my brother...

Alex

15. Hell yes get yourself down here. Your the man in my book. We have talked a bit about this and you are going to be in good shape. Lot's of people out there care about you, like Al says the Barons are behind you, just say the word.
    Chat with you soon my friend.

Sandman,
    Barons
    SO. TEX

16. arca39

arca39
    from summit il

hey fellow air force, thanks for serving and you will still be serving if you can get the civi job on base-- wish i was able when i got out 15 years ago-- as far as the hand just keep working with it (weights and so fort).

17. zippeay

zippeay
    from Hooper, Ut

Thanks everyone! Thanks Barons! You know I love you guys like brothers but I don't know if I can move down there, lol. Seeing how my wife has a really good job here and we both have family here she would probably kill me or divorce me if I moved her. I can't afford to get divorced again so I'm trying to avoid that at all costs, lol.
    I think all the Barons should embrace Utah and move up here. We need some more hell raisers up here! You guys could scare all the mormons and stuff, I think it would be pretty entertaining.
    Seriously I appreciate all the advice and support. Like I said in my other posts, I'm pretty sure I'm going to take this deal. I know I can get a job right away as a contractor then work my ass off and slide into a DOD civilian slot. There have been a lot of guys in my unit that have done it easily so I can't think why I wouldn't be able to. The money will be better and lord knows I can use more cash. It's bitter sweet to me, I love serving our GREAT country but I think most of you are right about how I can serve in other ways. So this is what I'm going to do and hopefully everything works out.
    I'm going need a ton of money to re chrome all the shit on the Buick so this might help a lot lol...

18. Works like this,,they figure the highest rating first, then next highest, etc..

50% for first rating, leaving 50%

the second rating, 20% is 20% of the remaining 50% and works out to 10%

50% plus 10%=60%....

19. dabirdguy

dabirdguy
    Member Emeritus

This is a BENEFIT you EARNED by putting your life on the line for our country.
    DO NOT feel badly for the $$ you get. You paid for them.

Glenn

20. Diavolo

Diavolo

Many have said it, so I won't repeat it. I spent 6 years in myself and have a few scars from it. There is honor in doing what needs to be done. Sometimes that means taking your applause and bowing, then moving on.

In business terms, what you are experiencing is a difference between your sphere of influence and your sphere of concern. You can not change what has happened, you can only affect change on what happens next. You obviously aren't dead yet, make yourself useful. Kinda sounds like that old saying...

...grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can and the wisdom to know the difference...

You can't change what's happened. You can be an instrument of change on what will happen to you in the future. Be that instrument and make some sweet, sweet, open headered music!

21. riv63

riv63
    from Texas

Thanks for your service. My son is currently stationed at HAFB. Take the retirement you earned it. There are worse places to live than the Ogden area.

22. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Thanks for your service. Take it with your head held high. Succeed and Dominate.
    This is out of your sphere of control and you alone can master it or let it master you. Its far far from the end of the world. The price you paid for your freedom will ever taste sweet upon your tounge. Noone can take what you have seen and the friends you made away. After 30 years out I still have contact with the "goodns." The aholes are as good as gone allready.
    Thats an order.