Register now to get rid of these ads!

a question of proportion

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sixdeuces, Oct 3, 2009.

1. Sixdeuces

Sixdeuces
    from San Diego

I am building a fenderless 36' Dodge pickup. I have recently acquired a 322 Nailhead and dynaflow Tranny to power this truck. I am wondering if there is a formula to figure out the ideal bed length for this truck. The engine Is roughly 29" from frontmost pulley to bellhousing. I am planning on running a suicide front, Fairly close to the leading edge of the grille shell. I have access to a large shop full of metal forming tools, so making a custom bed is no big deal. I have also been holding out on a grille shell until i Figured out all of the frame measurements. Does anyone have any Idea how long the bed should be vs. the cab length to be the most visually appealing? I have yet to measure the cab.

Thanks

2. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

It's out of proportion and I've only read that much.

3. Muttley

Muttley

[​IMG]

4. Measure from the back the cab where the bed will start back to the center of the rear axle, times that by two and round it down to the nearest six inches.
    That should give you a sensible looking length bed to match your cab.

5. F&J

F&J

Google search in Images;

This one looks like the back of the bed should be shorter. Also the bedsides should be not as tall...
    [​IMG]

another 36 dodge;

[​IMG]

What's wrong with a fenderless 36 Dodge? It looks like a hotrod to me if it was done right...and besides, the 322 nailhead as planned is pretty cool

I prefer the red one's style...just my opinion. it needs taller rear tires IMO

not everyone can start with a 32 3window :D

6. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Not to surprised you've been hammered by those who don't like bobber trucks already. I like them IF the proportions are "right". Lots of monkey see, monkey do abortions done now, but when they're right, they're really right. Cartoonish in a bad when they're wrong, and really wretched when they're really wrong.

The way to get the proportions right is look at photos of ones that you like, there's tons of 'em here. When you get the cab home, mock up the front and rear axles, with wheels and tires on the size you want, block up the engine/trans, and stand back and take a look, shuffle stuff around untill it looks like YOU want it to look.

I'm fairly handy with a pencil and paper, I sketched several versions of my roadster before I started, and cut and pasted photos and photocopies as well. While they all looked good, and similar to what I wanted, only untill I had all the componants propped, piled, and mocked up together, was I able to really see what it'd look like. Standing back and looking at the mock up from several angles, and a good distance, is the only way to really get a handle on the look.

Brian

7. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

The black one is right!:cool:

8. F&J

F&J

There were several more pics of the black one from different angles. Do a Google image search for : "1936 dodge pickup". it will show up on the first page I believe.

9. Sixdeuces

Sixdeuces
    from San Diego

That Truck is more or less what inspired me to get going on this project. That and getting a free 36' cab. I also like that this cab is not chopped. I'm not sure that attempting a chop would be the way to go on a first time build, but I guess the only way to know is to do as suggested and lay everything out.

Thanks for the help

10. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

the black one looks good.

the thing that kills these type of builds for me is the over chopped suicide front channelled too much piles of crap that seem to be the majority.

11. johnnykck

johnnykck

This my idea of good proportions on a '36 dodge pickup.

12. Lots of Cookie Cutter "formulas", if you want a "Cookie Cutter" result.

Better yet:
    Find examples of trucks you like, and trucks you don't like.
    LOTS of picture request threads here for reference.

Start with Rudy's truck, Frankenshine, etc.

Figure out what works, and what doesn't, to YOUR eye.

13. dodgerodder

dodgerodder

I have always been better off if I can actually see what I am trying to figure out. That said what kills these truck's look normally is a few things:

1. The location of the rear axle (front-to-back)
    2. length of the bed
    3. way too long front end (from firewall forward)

If you don't yet have a frame, mock up the cab @ ride height. Mock it up where you can get a GOOD side view look from a distance, otherwise you can't tell if you have it right or not. Guessing is bad here :p

With the engine you are using, block it up in place & set the front tire where it looks right. IMO avoid making the front end too far from the firewall

Then make a mock up bed side with something easy to change til you get it right. I use 1/8" masonite-easy to cut, cheap, holds its shape.

Start toward the long side with the bed, you can always cut it shorter. mock it up, & experiment with the bed height, as well as where you place the bed. The look will change lots if the bed is too high or low, find the right spot.

Experiment with bed length, and the position of the rear tire until you like it. Small changes will make a BIG difference. Don't stop till you are convinced it is right.

If you make the above things right, and make good choices in the parts you use(& especially DON"T use:D) you can have a nice looking truck.

Not the only way, but my opinion. Good luck with it

Dan

14. sawbuck

sawbuck
    from 06492 ct

that is a great lookin truck....love them fenders..

15. A trick I have used succesfully in my "pre computer" days----Get the truck out into the open where you can get a good side profile shot with a camera.--Take the picture to a printshop that has a scanner and can blow the picture up to a "good fit" on a 8 1/2" x 11" sheet of paper. Take a peice of tracing paper and trace over the outlines of the truck, including the cab, box, and tires. Now make a bunch of xerox copies of your tracing. Then start messing with box lengths by cutting and pasting the xeroxes untill you get something that appeals to you. If you can do math at all, measure something that you know (i.e. tire diameter---establish a "scale factor" and then measure the box length in the picture you have created. Reverse the scale factor and that will give you the box length in inches.----Brian

16. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

I drew scale drawings of mine before I ever cut a piece of metal. I used the OE plan of slightly longer behind the axle. I can't stand the square beds on some of these and think the beds shortened on the back make it look like the rear axle is slipping out from under the truck.

Here's mine.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Sixdeuces

Sixdeuces
    from San Diego

Dig that truck Scotty. I really like how the bed is a reasonable length rather than something just to cover the rear suspension and the like. It looks thought out rather than cobbled together. My goal is to get things right the first time rather than finishing my truck and wishing i did a big part of it a different way.

18. Ratrod37

Ratrod37

Clamp what you have together and roll it outside so you can stand far back from it and you will see what looks right and what looks wrong.As long as you like how it comes out,build it the way you like it not how people tell you it should look.Some of the proportions on my truck are wrong like the long nose but not everyone has a perfect nose but I love the truck and drive it everywhere and that's the most important part.Take all the advice and criticism and build what you like.

Attached Files:

19. Exactly.

What also kills these things is sloppy execution. It's often not like a nice sun-baked patina; it's more of a "Let's see how crappy we can get away with while calling it cool."

20. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

I hope this doesn't stray too far from the OP question, but I was just discussing this topic with another Hamber yesterday.

Rudy wowed the world with a less than perfect truck and some comic strip hookers, so the chatter started. Between that and the rise of rusty modifed bucket roadsters, the game turned to shock & awe. He with the scariest shit wins. I had just started mine as the fervor was starting, but I saw the writing on the wall. I don't have a budget to make a show winning, high polish street rod, so that was never in the plan. I just wanted a driver finish (meaning painted) with proportions that would make you scratch your head from 50 yards trying to figure out exactly what I had changed. Bed length and width are key. I played with dozens of drawings before settling on what I have here. You guys are right that it depends on all manner of factors, hood line and length, roof height, ground clearance, bed length and width, even tire size.

The best compliments I have gotten of late were the remarks that they didn't notice I had narrowed my cab by 4 1/4". That was prompted by my assessment that most of these trucks look too wide when you slam and chop them. Once I cut out that 4 inches, I was forced to build a bed that matched, not just width, but length, also. All this goes into that execution. I never set out to make it shock anyone or to have a "wow! that's old!" patina. For some, I think those were the only goals.

21. neonloverrob

neonloverrob
    from newton, ks

22. Sixdeuces

Sixdeuces
    from San Diego

Which is exactly why I'm taking my time and also painting it. My Father In Law has a Paint booth and i would bet as many or more tools and heavy equipment than a majority of rod shops. A big part of me building this truck is about learning to use said tools and equipment correctly and safely. Sloppy work is unacceptable to me. Prior to this car, all of my car building was focused on restorations. I plan on using the skills I have gained through doing this to make this a fairly "nice" rod. We'll see in the long run how this goes.

23. dodgerodder

dodgerodder

That said I think you are on the right track. EVERY car we build (be it HAMB friendly or not) is a learning experience. I look at things I did a year ago & think "wow, I'd do that a little better now" with the skills we learn as we go. think it out, build it well, and pay attention to your original question-you'll be fine!

Dan

24. Koolade

Koolade
    from Illinois

The thing's I really like about the truck that Tinman is building now is that you can put something in the bed too. Scotty's looks to be the same. It would suck to have a truck that you couldn't at least haul your cooler in.

25. Sixdeuces

Sixdeuces
    from San Diego

I'd love to be able to haul my Triumph T100, but doubt is possible. Oh well, It gives me a reason to make the bike more reliable and to ride it as much and far as possible.