Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Who really ownes "your" car?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fuel pump, Oct 2, 2009.

1. banjorear

banjorear

Man, my hats off to you. In this world were a good portion of the people don't give two poops, nice to hear there are others who actually care.

Great story and thanks for sharing.

2. oldsrocket

oldsrocket

I don't know..... To me, it's hard to draw the line. Why would the unfinished project belong to the previous owner that started it, why not the person that he may have bought it from, or the person before that? I'm just saying that many times a car project goes through a few owners before somebody actually finishes it. Till it's finished it's just a project that somebody layed a hand on at some point in time.

Now, to me this would be an extremely different story if the car was famous for some reason and the original owner would never be overshadowed no matter who owned it. That's kind of a no brainer. But just some random car that somebody had as a project and never finished at some point in time....I just don't see that correlation.

Either way, I'm glad you made somebody's family happy that they got to relive the memory of their loved one. I just don't think that you need to be the one that preserves the memory. If you really wanted to do that, you could strip it back down to the project as it was before you got it, then put some stantions with velvet ropes around it somewhere. It's your car do what you want with it.

3. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Man, you almost had me bawling with that one. :eek: I think I got a little something in my eye.

4. Rich Rogers

Rich Rogers

Great story with a very cool ending. The timing here is alittle spooky as I don't have my 55 really done to what I would consider done and I'm headed for surgery soon. I've kinda wondered what would happen to the car and where it would end up if something goes wrong for me and could only hope that if that were to happen, that someday my wife and girls would be somewhere and see it finished close to what I had envisioned and that the owner would be as thoughtful as you were. Good karma has got to be headed your way

5. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Wow, that's a story to read and then just sit still and let it sink in. Thanks for sharing it.

6. harrington

harrington
    from Indiana

Awesome man!!! Great story.

+1 karma

7. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

cool story

alot of HAMBers have owned parts of my car.

8. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

Thanks for sharing this, mine was an old hotrod that I rescued from abandonment in a farmers field. Almost sold it a few times in the 30 years I've owned it when desperate.
    Glad I never did or absolutely had to, as I realized it means alot to my kids who are grown now and rode around in the rumble seat when younger. If you do decide to sell it hopefully the family has the means or want to get it back. Now to get out to the garage and get something done on other projects, stories like this inspire me.

9. That is what it all about ! " Values"

10. Countn'Carbs

Countn'Carbs
    from CO

I was thinking the same thing...you're a class act man, class act.

11. Awesome story Fuel!

I bought the carcus of my coupe from a farmer in Protection Kansas.I've always wondered about who originally bought ,drove, used her up, and parked her. Ironicly I work at a hospital and a local museum put a polio exhibit up in one of the halls I walk a lot. One of the big pictures is a school gym filled to the brim with folks getting vaxcinations that was taken at Protection. I've stopped and wondered if any of them had anything to do with the old girl.

12. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Yep, my eyes are leaking too.:eek:
    Great story Rich and since I know you only too well I know you will offer it to the son when the time comes to move on to the next one.

As far as the origianl question....
    Who really ownes "your" car?............I do, no question about it.
    While most know the story of Project Big Olds beginings, Steve's vision of the finished project and mine were too different visions. The common theme that Steve and I shared, and the reason why I was choosen by Steve to be the next caretaker, was because we both had the vision of Big Olds being completed and the wheels being driven off him no matter what forum he carried.

I agree with the fact I am just the present caretaker BUT he's all mine, complete vision and all. :cool:

13. sometimes i think that we are only cairtakers of these cars:)

14. T.W.Dustin

T.W.Dustin

awesome story - thanks for sharing

15. thepolecat

thepolecat
    1. S.F.C.C.

brought a real tear to my eye- my speedster actually belongs to an older gentleman who has given it to me to build because he can no longer work on cars. He is funding my hobby with the promice that I let him drive it a couple times after I am done.

16. My WIFE as half of my stuff is hers but to make her feel better I told her it's all hers. It would have been really neat if you could have met her husband before he passed away. Very touching event and story !! >>>>.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2009
  17. jdubbya

jdubbya

Great story Rich, and after all these years of knowing you I have come to this conclusion... You are a helluva guy, no matter what Frank says about you, you are OK in my book.:D

18. Kustomline54

Kustomline54

Very nice and touching story, just adds more sentimentle value to the car. Great story

19. I think it's just pretty cool that the son recongized it and his mom just happened to be at the show with him.
    My story would be much different, while looking my truck over the owner said "One guy said he was going to put a V-8 in it, so I threw him off my property" That guy would kill me if he seen the old truck now !

20. rodncustom

rodncustom

21. shoebox50

shoebox50

22. truckncoupe

truckncoupe

Class Act on your part!!! If you don't know by now....You made her and the families day! Great Job!:D

23. Newbomb Turk

Newbomb Turk

That's very cool.

24. Fuel-cool story,and glad you offered.I bet it was tough,so to speak,for everyone.I am also a "caretaker" of sorts. Same scenerio,but 2000mi away from the past owners.Car was in the family since 1968. It was pop's car,and after he passed,it was for sale. I spoke with the family,and asked what his intentions were..... I still have their contact info,but I would think that I would be preserving some of 'pop's car,and only making it better.makes me think if I should send some "after photo's.?-Kid

25. budrow

budrow

supper story thanks

26. racer756

racer756

cool story, would you sell the car back to them if they asked?

27. eddie1

eddie1

This post is not what I expected to read. Thanks for almost making me cry at work!:D
    You are a class act.

28. TAYLOR

TAYLOR
    from DALLAS,GA.

Great story ,thanks for sharring

29. gtnrkix

gtnrkix

I agree, classy.

30. My wife owns my car. All my cars, motorcycle, guns, house, dogs, cats, turtle, my clothes, 401k, gold in my teeth (if I had any) and my ass! :eek: