Register now to get rid of these ads!

Titles in MA

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by n8murphy, Oct 1, 2009.

1. n8murphy

n8murphy
    from Malden MA

So there is this 1963 falcon with no tittle pretty cheap. The guy says he has a bill of sale im assuming not notorized from when he got the car in 03 where it sits now. I went and looked at it without the owner and it has old plates on it from MA i think or vermont not sure. Is there away to get paerwork on it when it was recently registered by soembody who doesn own it anymore and furthermore does this guy even have the legal right to sell it to me and is it worth all this headache because its really cheap. Is it possible he is selling me an abandoned car? Is there any way to title it with no real paperwork at all?

2. AV8Paul

AV8Paul
    Member Emeritus

I wouldn't touch any car in Mass without a good title. PERIOD! This state is so F'D UP when it come to titling cars. They tax you on the NADA book, based on very good condition, even if it's an escapee from the crusher. Now if you have a friend in NH or RI, you might be able to "wash" it thru them..........

3. rustyford40

rustyford40
    from Mass Bay

The governor vetoed the last title bill last year. So you will have to waite till next year

4. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

yes they hit you for nada value even if the thing is a heap , and lazy gov ignored the sema bill till it expired i say we thank him by voting for his opponent next election , this state has its head burried in its buttocks when it comes to titleing these old vehicles , if you have an old registration in the last person to register the cars name and a notorized bill of sale you can get a title for it as long as its older than 72 if they want the vin number verified ask a local officer where you live and get the form they fill it out and the pencil pushers do their thing

5. str8axle55

str8axle55
    from MA

You need proof of ownership from the previous owner, like an old reg. If you have that you should be able to "find" the rest of the paper work, like a bill of sale. I just jumped through hoops last year to no avail for a Jeep. You can always go through a title service too.

6. adam401

adam401

Forget Rhode Island, they're just as bad. I just fought this battle here. Get a friend in Maine.;)

7. rustyford40

rustyford40
    from Mass Bay

I just spent 3hrs in the rmv trying to register a car I bought for my kid. Thay rejected the title because the girl at the body shop checked the wrong box. Thay wont a new title that cant be dun because the owner ran out on the body shop and cant be found. So I just drooped $5,000 on a car I can,t title even thow I have a title.

8. Don, I've had a title someone screwed up on & the RMV was happy with having it notarized.

9. str8axle55

str8axle55
    from MA

You should be able to have it notorized, check with your ins agent. Is it a Salvage car?

10. danoz

danoz
    from mass

i think i have found the solution to title problems in mass.it will personally take me 3 years to complete, that's when my last kid (daughter) graduates, and i move with my cars to Montana. will post youtube video of mass plates getting annihilated by a 50 calibur, the countdown is on:D

11. I hate guns & I can't wait to see this!!

12. 51box

51box
    from MA

A friend of mine just put together an old chopper using a '39 engine, he went to maine gave a camp ground address no maine liscense etc. and they registered the bike. Now he will wait till the end of winter and bring the paper work to MA rmv and theres your title.

13. rustyford40

rustyford40
    from Mass Bay

I dumped it all back on the body shop. This car was repoed by Ford and given to the body shop. They screwed up the title. My wife went up and got the money back She felt I should not go because I tend to get myself in trouble. She told them if they could clear it up we still wanted the car. She is so cool I'm a hot headed asshole.

14. If no paperwork exists, You need a bill of sale if no title and a statement from the owner as to where the car has been.
    Like. I have owned the car since 19whatever., it has been in storage since 19 whatever.in this town.
    You need to get the vin signed off by a cop. Go to your local police abd explain what you need. If you can't trailer the car or bring it by when you ramp truck it home, ask if they can send someone by , or butter a cop you know to come by. You need a form for this available at the RMV.
    You also need a stolen vehicle report . Means get the local police to run the vin # and give you the printout. They may give tou a hard time on this but insist the RMV won't do it?
    The bill of sale must be notarized.The statement must be notarized. Your insurance agent should do yhis for you.
    Go to the RMV first and plead your case. You must be polite etc, and will get bumped to a superviser. She should have no trouble getting you the forms.
    They actually havce a form called the situation and it reads,
    Farmer has an old car in his barn that has no title etc, he sells it to john doe etc., etc.
    I just went through this with a car I had in storage for 35 yearse Took a lot of leg work and waiting. Once I had all my paperwork right I got my plates and 2 weels later my title. Be patient and things notarized.

15. oneratfink57

oneratfink57
    from Wisconsin

I know its massachusettes and all, but in New hampshire only cars that are 15 years or newer need a title. other than that you have an officer come to your house to do a vin verification ive done it 5 times. you can pick up this paper at your town hall or dmv, just call them up and ask how old a vehicle needs to be to not need a title

16. bkwudz

bkwudz
    from billerica

Btt

this info might help someone, apparently there is a way to get a title for a vehilcle with no paperwork.

You need to say it was gifted to you by a family member. My 1948 Willys actually was, and i should have plated tommorow using the following: -notorized letter from the family member, they don't need to prove where they got it.

a vin inspection

and a MASS MVU-24 form

and you don't have to pay sales tax

this is from the mass website

17. T-Faust

T-Faust

I went through this with a '72 Charger I bought out of guys garage, where it had been since '79. The title law is from '73, so a '72 which was never sold never got a title. I won't bother you with the notarized statements they needed, the seller had moved to South Carolina.

So, I sent my $120 to Broadway Title. They sent me a dealer's bill of sale and a letter from the Secretary of State explaining that Alabama (or wherever it was) didn't have a title law. Mass gave me a title.

I understand that Broadway now gives you a "prior registration".

ALl this was about 5 years ago, I don't know if the RMV still accepts all of this.