Register now to get rid of these ads!

NC Hambers-how do i get a title?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tarheelrodr, Sep 29, 2009.

1. tarheelrodr

tarheelrodr

Hey NC Hambers- Whats the process in NC to get a title? I have a 34 ford pu cab and a Model A frame. Planning to build a frame though.

There is a plate on the firewall of cab but nothing legible. What is the tag for? Does the Model A frame have a VIN?

several years away from driving it but just trying to get my ducks in row for title\tags in case it's a real pain.

2. I've been going through the same drill, only I'm trying to title a glass car. The process will probably be a little different for you since you have an original. After a series of emails back and forth between me and the NCDMV I finally got a phone number for the license division in Raleigh...919-861-3456. Give them a call.

3. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

Get someone in Georgia to write you a bill of sale...thats all we have to have here. Then turn that in with your state. Will that work?

4. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Probably not, he does not have a complete car. I'm betting at this point he is looking at a "special construction" title. There have been some recent changes that have not gone into effect yet. But without an original frame with a matching numbers title, that seems to be the way they go.

Not anymore, they'll want to inspect the vehicle to verify it is pretty close to original. Most of the DMV inspectors these days can spot a non-stock frame. Even some guys with out of state titles have been getting grief.

If it is '34 on a '34 frame and you have an out of state title that matches you're fine. Otherwise they're gonna go over it with a fine tooth comb. There is a chance depending on the inspector that they'll want to see receipts and such as well.

5. roddinron

roddinron

I thought N.C. HAMBER was that "can't touch this" guy who danced around in parachute pants?

6. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

And I thought Georgia was strict.....shit I'm sorry you guys have all that griff

7. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

One guy pretty much caused the grief by wanting a year of manufacture title for a glass body on an aftermarket frame with a crate motor. Nothing was the year he wanted. Went downhill from there. But really not to difficult if you're not trying to pull one over and are aware of how things are done these days. If you have an untitled old car you can get a bonded title as well.

8. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

Ahahahaha. Stop, Hamber Time!!! :D

Also, there are the title services in places like Vegas. Basically, you "sell" your car to them along with an afidavit that says it's not stolen. They register it in their name w/out a title (not required where they are) and then "resell" it back to you with legit registration and bill of sale paperwork. You are supposed to be able to use this to get a legit title in NC (or other states). It's usually around $150.

I talked to one on the phone and the guy sounded convincing. That said, I haven't used their services nor do I know anyone personally that has. Good luck, whatever you do, be sure to post up the results. I'm sure it'll help a ton of people.

9. Steve-Cook

Steve-Cook
    from Garner, NC

I took my car to DMV License & Theft Bureau located at 3231 Avent Ferry Road Raleigh NC 27606 for an inspection then the title was issued without too much problem their phone # is (919) 816 9194

10. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

If they are from out of state you are gonna have to take it DMV to be inspected or they will come to you. Regardless of what company you try to use.

11. heavytlc

heavytlc

No more Alabama titles in NC. I had the inspector come take pics of and inspect my 1956 f100 about a month ago. I have had the truck titled in Nc for almost 3years. They are going back on the old paper work and doing the same inspections they would do if you were getting a title under the new law.

No big deal if it is a stock frame and body, and all the numbers match. The inspector was pleased with my truck, he said it was exactly what the title said it was. Case closed. From talking with him that was not the case most of the time. What could have been a bad day worked out very well for me.

12. 58 Delpala

58 Delpala
    from NC

All you have to do is have a "Bill of Sale" in Nc to get any title for any vehicle even with the new laws. As long as the "Bill of Sale" matches any serial number on the vehicle and that there is no visable evidence of tampering. The tricky part is what will it be registered as.

Here is what you do. Call DMV in Raleigh. Tell them you have a just bought a non-operable vehicle and you want to have an inspector come verify the purchase. When the inspector comes out he will want to see 1) "Bill of Sale", 2) a matching VIN number on the body or frame, and 3) the Odometer that will be in the vehicle. If everything matches and the VIN number comes back as legit and not stolen then he issues you a "Certificate of VIN Authenticity" or something like that anyway. You will need to take that form along with your bill of sale and a "Bonded Insurance" form that you get from your auto insurance person to the DMV and get a Title. I have done that once this year already and I have a buddy who has done 3 cars that way.

13. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

and there lies the rub.... and the numbers better be real, some of the officers are pretty good about what is legit and what is not. For example a '32 Ford better have the right numbers in the right places on the frame.

Also beware that if you do this and someone else tries to use the same numbers, or someone comes forward with a title you forfeit the vehicle. And I do know of one person that got caught up with this, old man died and in the process of settling the estate they tried to deal with the cars he had titles for. One of them was in the system under a bonded title. Guy almost lost the car...

This works great if it's a complete car, but to try and build a frame and throw a body on it you're still looking at a "special construction". Though I have heard about some areas being looser on their interpretation of these rules, around here they aren't.

and how about an intro...

Last edited: Sep 29, 2009
  14. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

According to the local WPS inspector that inspected my boat trailer a while back that is what happened in this state. Or what started our grief on getting built from scratch cars through inspection.

On getting your truck inspected Tarheelrodr, make sure that you save every reciept no matter how small. If you don't have receipts or bills of sale for the cab and frame, write one up for each and get one of your buddies to sign each one. Or at least have damned good documentation as to where the cab and frame came from. If you buy something on Ebay, print out the Reciept that shows what you paid and to who.

I keep a build book for everything I build that will need a title. All receipts and I also have a photo album in it with the build process. the receipts saved my butt with the boat trailer as it was a converted travel trailer frame that didn't come with a title. I did have a note from the people who gave me the travel trailer and photos of it when I got it.

It's a lot easier to flip a page in the book and show where you bought the engine, trans or rear end or where the body and or frame came. If I junk a car for the engine and trans (which I usually do) I make a copy of the title of that car before hauling it off to the crusher.

I just use a three ring binder from where ever and a batch of plastic page savers from the office supply store.

You might want to search the NC dot sites and see what they say about what you need to get a car titled there. That may help avoid confusion. Also you might want to check your equipment requirements for the state so that the truck is actually legal as far a equipment goes when you get it done. No need for the "I put all the work and money into it and now the state says it isn't legal to drive" thing.

Here you go, study chapter 7 starting with section 3. http://www.ncdot.org/dmv/vehicle_services/registrationtitling/titlemanual/download/NCTitleManual.pdf
    I'd save the whole thing on my computer if I were you as it answers just about any and all NC vehicle licensing questions you will ever run into.
    If you have a title for the car/truck that the engine comes out of, don't let that title get away until you title the truck as I think it will play a major part in getting things done.

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Last edited: Sep 29, 2009
  15. 5window

5window

Not much to contribute, but I know that it took my daughter 5 hours to change her license from Iowa to NC. There were only three clerks,who left whenever there was a road test to do, only twelve chairs inside for a line so long they sent people home at 1pm and you couldn't sit on the floor. One guy waited 45 minutes to be told he was at the wrong place. It kind of goes on from there. Glad she didn't get her waiting genes from me.:)

i

16. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

OK, heres an easy way..kiss everyone goody bye and move to Georgia..we'd be happy to have YA.

17. 58 Delpala

58 Delpala
    from NC

Thats what the Bonded insurance is for and why the inspector runs the VIN number when he inspects it.

As for the complete car thing, yes you are right it can be easier with a complete car, however I found it to be just as easy with a body and frame. We all know most of the old stuff (pre war) didnt have many VIN numbers on the body so if you have a frame with a VIN number and the body dont (like most pre war cars I have seen) then your in business.

18. I partout chevys!!

I partout chevys!!

i can get u a title on anything call me or look for my ad on the hamb $250 909 821 0262 ask for rich