Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Hilo Hot Rod

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Oct 2, 2009.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. Jay71

Jay71

Thanks for posting this Ryan . What a bitchen car. Imagine cruising around the islands in that thing. By the way, you getting any surf over there?

3. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

That car is gorgeous. You paint a picture of Paradise, for sure. You and Keith running off in that car together in search of Paradise is a little disturbing. Please tell me the ladies are nearby sipping umbrella garnished drinks...

Oh, and you're supposed to be on vacation. Stow it until you come back. We'll still be here!

4. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Hot Rods in Hawaii always seemed a little odd to me. But, reality is there seems to be plenty of them over there. Been there a couple times myself and you do see them around if you look. Enjoy paradise Ryan!

edit: I wonder how many hambers are in Hawaii. In the spirit of Ryan's trip, if any there read this, chime in and let's see what you have and maybe post your rides and have a virtual hamb Hawaii car show. Or maybe let's see other Hawaii themed hot rod stuff anyone can dig up. After reading that article, I am now curious to see what Hawaii has now and maybe some history or hot rodding in Hawaii too.

edit 2: a hamb search dug this up from Jive Bomber from just last month:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/?p=5958

here's a new Hawaii hamber:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=403822&highlight=hawaii

more:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=380593&highlight=hawaii

Last edited: Oct 2, 2009

5. 32SEDAN

32SEDAN

Palms, sand, and geckos! - there is something about a hot rod illuminated by the raw beauty of the Islands.

Just wish the roads were not so awful here for cruising. Almost bounced out of my roadster on H-1...

6. To add a little local color to the story "papio" Is still with us . About a year ago I bought some old Hot Rod mags at a flea market .I start to look through the mag and in the readers rides section is the pic of that car and his name and Hilo HI. .I did some checking around found Papio and gave him the magazine,he told me he had seen the picture in the mag but never had the mag because he spent all his money on the car.

7. Bruddah Liana (Ryan) ... Mahalo Nui Loa for sharing this article with us ...
    very cool ... I remember reading it before ... and I'm thinking it was here on the HAMB.

Diggin' these other 3 pics too:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

UPDATE: Sure enough ... Piero posted it in Jay's "Hot Rodding in Hawaii... Hao Wela!!" thread ... just click HERE.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2009
  8. You are sick bastards, but that's a good thing, isn't it?:eek:Enjoy yourselves,over there, you earn it. Thanks for the Hot Rod history, now get back to the cold ones and the beach.:D

9. get off the internet and go surfing Ryan.... jeezus!!!

:)

10. I was in Mitchel SD for a show last week and someone give me a Road Devils Support support sticker and I did some research on it before i would put it on
    this article sure clears up and supports what i could google:D
    I am putting the decal on my auto this week and will be proud to display it

SO HOW MANY ON THIS FORUM ARE ROAD DEVILS???
    closest to the midwest is the Wyoming chapter

11. 38zephyr

38zephyr

Da kine brah !!!

12. Last edited: Oct 2, 2009
  13. flamingokid

flamingokid

That story is a movie script waiting to be written.I'd pay to see it.

14. NOTCH

NOTCH

Cruzin in Hawaii brah! Way Cool!!

15. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

I hate you right now.

16. kauaiguy

kauaiguy

If you're still on the island don't miss the drags at Mana Saturday--most meets are at night-this is a day race and the last of the season.

kauaiguy

17. rodncustom

rodncustom

Have fun in Hawaii. We love Hawaii...so much so that our daugther is named Makena.

Anyways, that looks to be a '40, not a '39 as the article states...atleast from the windsheild back...imo.

18. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

Thanks for the post !
    That is one beautiful ride !
    Hope you are enjoying your vacation in Hawaii ! Sure is a beautiful place !

RetroJim

19. autobilly

autobilly

Cool article, bitchin custom! I just got taken to the tropical sun, perfect cruisin' breeze and the sound of the breakers myself.

20. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

I just read the Honolulu Streets article you attached, Ryan- Sad end to that cool car. Scraped!

21. catdad49

catdad49

Great find and some cool history. Love the overhead shot showing the tonneau and the hot flathead. Can anyone say "Clone me". Thanks,Ryan

22. James66g

James66g

I knew you would find some auto goodness in hawaii ! My dad was stationed on oahu for a long time and ran the hobbie shop on the naval base. He used to tell me stories of thr crazy cars hour and some buddies built. A xk jag convert w all buick running gear or a converted Angelia w mustang 260 but the one he seemed to love most was a stocker 40 something buick convert with the name soup bowl painted on it would love to find that car some day ! Enjoy kuai but keep in mond oahu has a drag strip!

23. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Actually there are quite a few rods of all kinds over here. We had a show a few months ago at Aloha Stadium and there was some real nice, locally built stuff. There was even a Toyota gasser, straight axle, small block Chevy and all!
    Hawaii hot rodders are a hardy bunch, having to deal with the weather here and all.

24. Thanks for sharing that Ryan, one of our club members started the ball rolling on the search which led to the article you posted.

25. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

Definately...it was a couple of months research, and some real digging/corresponding , but he got some real cool info, a history lesson , and some folks down there got to re-live some memories!
    Its a VERY cool car, glad its not lost to the ages...
    Thanks!

26. I just got back from Kauai last week! Small world. Have you found the Model A pheaton yet??

27. N8B

N8B

There are a lot.

Great article Ryan.

Nate.
    R.D.

28. rhd

rhd
    from austin tx

i still wish i would have found that car!
    its crazy that there was nothing at all on that car and now there is all kinds of stuff floating around the net

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3864281#post3864281

not a member just a friend :)

Last edited: Oct 5, 2009
  29. rhd

rhd
    from austin tx

that is a bad ass idea:cool:

its a 39 i have that mag.

Attached Files:

30. Most of us are either members, or lurkers...

:D