Register now to get rid of these ads!

~ Radiator Help Asap Please For Daily Driver ~

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by solo_909, Sep 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigChief

BigChief

This is not brain surgury, its an early 60's Falcon.

You've been given good advice. Go use it.

2. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Wow. Guess that showed 'em. Given the title of this thread, and the problems I had with the Mustang radiator in my '36 cooling the big old Caddy, I thought maybe I could help this little fella out. I guess not.

3. so you bought an aluminum aftermarket radiator that doesn't fit and doesn't look correct from a guy who doesn't know shit from shinola' at Autozone... then you come here and ask for advise... good advise is given from several parties... you ignore it and go off on a rant?

Man... this thread get's funnier every time I look at it...

Maybe you got a left hand turn radiator... you are supposed to mount it at an angle... just use the bottom passenger side and the drivers top side bolt holes... then everything should line right up... don't slam the hood tight though... leave it just on the first safety catch setting... it'll run cooler that way too... works for NYC cab's so it should work for you too!
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=402439

Last edited: Oct 1, 2009
  4. 62rebel

62rebel

i don't understand why the counterguy felt you needed a high performance radiator for essentially a tired old six. well, other than it made his daily sales look really good that day. i hear an echo coming... "take back the aluminum one and order a stock replacement radiator. and get a new belt, hoses, and thermostat while you're at it. and kick that counterguy gently in his nuts for selling you more than you needed..."

and buy a cheapass metal trash can.

beat the fuck out of THAT when you get bent out of shape working on your car. DON'T fucking beat your car.

5. FoMoCoPower

FoMoCoPower

So you have an Inline-6 or a V-6?

6. It's obviously a straight-six.

7. Who's the Internet badass that added the lame namecalling tags?

8. solo_909

solo_909

Thanks I am ive called the radiator place and it will be returned.

LoL sorry the guy is bashes me for asking about something I dont know much about. fuck that im not a bitch and wont put up with that shit.

\

Incorrect I bought a radiator my family mechanic recommended. When I went to autozone looking for mulitple advice (which both parties have more knowlege than me) the guy at auto zone told me the same thing get something other than stock. Ignore advice? Never im taking in what everyone says. like I said above ive already called the radiator store and will be returning the new one. Ive also checked shops around town to have the stock one recored which is way too expensive for me. Trust me I want to learn all I can but thats why ive asked this question.

O and it was the coil causing the left hand turn sputtering.

I am not a mechanic and have no skills at this time doing this stuff. Something this simple to most guys here isnt for a newbie like me. by not responding to everyone doesnt mean im not taking their advice.

Thats what im doing = ) the problem im finding is that any new radiator has trans line holes and my 3 sp doesnt need them and I think I might have a problem with all of them because they are all a few inches taller.

sorry inline-6

Some pussy that would be afraid to say that to my face! Some people are just assholes.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2009
  9. Slapnuts1975

Slapnuts1975
    from Tennessee

Go back to autozone, buy a 20 buck temp gauge that actually has numbers instead of overeacting when the temp goes 3/4s. My old fords gauge would go that far, freaked me out. I bought a Gauge and she runs 160- 180 on a hot day in traffic. You may be going through all this trouble for nothing bro.

10. solo_909

solo_909

Sorry Im not ignoring your advice at all and I appreciate your knowledge. Ive looking into the link your provided had some estimates on rebuilding them and looked at the link to purchace a new one. The problem im seeing is they are all taller then the stock on. So even though they say bolt on replacement I dont think they will work because of that crossmember. Im still browsing around thanks again for your advice.

11. solo_909

solo_909

I appreciate it. im planning on going to the next pomona swap meet and picking up all the gauges = ) Like I said I just went to the mechanic and he told me what I should get I have no idea what needs or doesnt need to be done. Thanks again

12. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

Um, you can raise it up a half inch, split the difference, use stock. You have options. You are just making this too complicated.

First, you aren't using a design that isn't proven, so why no confidence in the stocker?

Like others pointed out, you THINK you have cooling issues but never stated what temp it is running. If you want to learn something, start by learning what temp it runs at on the stock radiator. It's not hard. Grab a $2 meat thermometer at the grocery store and slide it into the fins near the top hose while idling for about 10 minutes. Then look at your gauge and see where it is. Now you have a reference temp when the car is warmed up. My Falcon sits at 5/8 to 3/4 scale at operating temp which equates to 190* in the radiator. That's about 210* in the head. NORMAL.

I seek advice, too, but only from people with actual experience with my question. Did the guy at AZ have a 45 year old Falcon? That trusted family mechanic really into old Fords? It seems to me you are finally looking in the right circles, but you have already let your frustration color your outlook. If you want to learn, open your mind and pay attention to details. If you haven't measured your actual temp yet, you don't care about learning, you want someone to fix it and be done. Pay your mechanic. Expect a warranty.

I see you're buying gauges. Now research normal operating parameters for an early six. I know for a fact there are discussions here that will tell you normal oil pressures, water temps, generator voltages, oil filter dangers, all for YOUR CAR AND ENGINE. How many searches have you run?

Still want to learn? I teach every day. I see two kinds. Students and pampered children expecting to be handed answers. (my classes are composed of management professionals)

13. NortonG

NortonG
    Member Emeritus

^^^good advise!!^^^

Buy some cheap guages and see what it's running.
    My '64 with a 200ci 6 runs at 160-190 depending on how hot it is out and what traffic it like.

Norton

14. solo_909

solo_909

Hey Scotty,
    I was looking for quick and simple fix and acted on the first person who gave me advice. My family mechanic sat with me and told stories on how he used to build the falcons to make you shit your pants if you drove it. So without doubting his words I just said ok ill buy it.

this is my second classic car the first was a 51 Merc that never got on the road and was sold a a year ago. Im getting married next Sept and with times being really slow I had to sell my 06 honda to free up $500 a month to put towards the wedding. with that said I would rather buy a cool classic rather than a 86 Geo metro. I figured this would be a great way to learn about cars but pretty simple to work on. Ive already replaced the carb and fuel pump myself (sounds stupid) But ive never done that before and they were simple to bolt in and I assumed the radiator would be the same. With this being my daily driver I cant afford to have it brake down which is another reason I took the mechanics advice, I was planning ahead I guess.

Anyways I hear what you and everyone is saying and will try to do what everyone is talking about to correct the problem. But yes I was looking for an easy quick fix and was dissapointed when it wasnt. Thanks again and sorry I offended so many people in here I just cant afford if something goes wrong I cant even pay my bills so it's hard when this is taking time and it needs to be fixed so I can get to work without somethign going wrong.

Thanks again

Last edited: Oct 2, 2009
  15. zephyrV12

zephyrV12
    BANNED
    from pomona ca

I'm in pomona where do you live ,I can take a look maybe I can help you out looks like a simple issue to me

16. solo_909

solo_909

Thanks ZephyrV12

Im out in menifee off the 215.

17. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

You didn't offend anyone, not anyone worthwhile anyways. (that puts the assessment on them) You are being initiated into the field. We've all been there. Better we beat your ass now than have that car do it to the tune of many $$$ later. Come back for another serving when ever you need to. Some of us genuinely want to help, just don't expect a hand out.

18. I'd say that you got taken over the high hurdles by your family mechanic and the guy at AZ.

Bob

19. '54Caddy

'54Caddy

Autozone employees dont know anything except "year...make..and model."

20. newfalconowner

newfalconowner
    from NS Canada

get the rad fixed yet?

21. solo_909

solo_909

No not yet It will be fixed soon though. Thanks

Thread Status: