Register now to get rid of these ads!

Favorite car movie tough guy??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jokerjason, Sep 30, 2009.

1. jim galli

jim galli

Its a Mad Mad Mad Mad World

Saw it in Cinerama in Hollywood in 1966. Still love it. Jon Winters tears that vintage gas station to pieces and steals their WWII wrecker, and that takes second to Phil Silvers tearing the living s**t out of that '46 Ford trying to get it to go back up the cliff he drove it down.

It gets better every year.

2. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

3. Rocket Scientist Chris

Rocket Scientist Chris
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have to go with Messala in Ben-Hur. Though not really a car movie, it does involve wheels and mayhem! Messala was sporting some vicious spinners and he knew how to use 'em! :D

4. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

Nads is right with the biker in RAISING ARIZONA.

5. chevy3755

chevy3755

Steve McQueen gets my vote......number 2 would be Bob Mitchum

6. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

W.C. Fields. Out chasing road Hogs in "Poppy."
    Thats a real tear-jerker watching THOSE cars get wiped out.

7. No question, Max (as a character.)

"That thing - - - in there,... That's not the Goose; no way!"

Actors...

1.) Bob Mitchum

2.) Steve McQueen

3.) Jimmy Garner

Kowalski was hopped up on uppers, he don't count.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2009
  8. BlueGhost

BlueGhost

Not exactly a movie, but Sheriff Little form Dukes of Hazzard.

9. KK Hickey Designs

KK Hickey Designs

Sphinx from Gone in 60 Seconds or the Driver from Duel.

10. torchmann

torchmann
    BANNED
    from Omaha, Ne

I was in Dalton GA when Joe dirt came out. I went to the theater to see it and the lady sneered "We aint playin that here"

11. torchmann

torchmann
    BANNED
    from Omaha, Ne

did anyone notice his Icy Hot arthritis jacket?

12. Bosco1956

Bosco1956
    from Jokelahoma

When I first saw this post I thought Steve McQueen in Bullitt Course Im a McQueen fan and he was truly a car guy.
    Not a bad ass but I always liked Paul Newman in Winning.

13. J Man

J Man
    from Angola, IN

Only thing about Stuntman Mike is that he got his ass kicked by 3 even more bad ass girls.

14. Straightpipes

Straightpipes

Only Robert Michum could flick a cigarette from one car into the other doing 75. Now, thats a tough guy in the baddest hot rod movie ever made.

15. rodsnhawgs

rodsnhawgs
    from WV

Martin Sheen - CA Kid

16. billy6223

billy6223
    from Utah

The Green Goblin Truck in Maximum Overdrive

17. Nefarious Art

Nefarious Art
    from Auburn, Ca

Classic.

18. Kowalski in Vanishing Point

19. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

Why not?
    He fits all the criteria. Just because the movie didn't have any blood, sex, or 4 letter words.....

I'm going with Thorndyke. :D

20. terryr

terryr
    from earth

For real guys;Carey Loftin. The stunt driver in the Bullitt Charger, 7-Ups Pontiac, Duels Truck, the truck that killed Edith Keller in Star Trek, the ferrari chase in Against All Odds at 68 years old, and many other movies, and the guy pulling James Deans trailer on the day he bought it. 133 movies.

As a character; Mad Max. Several dozen superbad bikers try to kill him and fail several times.

21. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

Yep, that's the guy. A lot of the cop cars in the chase scene were driven by real race drivers. In that movie every car makes a proper power slide, not the over corrected crap you see in most movies.

I have a DVD of the original movie. His daughter does the intro as he is gone now. Pretty woman.

22. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

You're right, it was a story in Playboy, I remember reading it. The story was pretty good. So was the centerfold.

23. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

The first time you ever saw the original 'Gone in 60 seconds' was in the 70s so probably you were stoned and that's why you fell asleep. Yes it was a real homegrown movie but the driving and chase scenes were classic. A lot better than the gay remake. Did I mention that the remake was gay? And so is Mr. Cage, god he is the worst of all.

One thing that makes a good chase scene IMHO is that the stunts need to be reasonably possible. That's one of the things about the 'Bullitt' chase that is so cool - think about it - everything except the last fiery crash happens to most of us on our way to work each day. :)

Jason Statham in the Transporter flicks might be a good marshal artist but the chase scenes are ridiculous. Like when he flips the car up in the air, upside down, to use the jib of a crane to wipe off the bomb under the car. Riiiiigggghhhhhttttttt. And then the car drives away without a scratch. Ronin and other chase scenes have some semblance of possibility. The second '60 Seconds', Transporter and so many other chase scenes are just fantasy and, to me, that lessens the appeal of the chase sequence.

Plus, Cage is SOO gay. (OK, I'll stop now.)

Last edited: Oct 2, 2009
  24. Lee Majors in "The Last Race". :D
    Oh wait
    D-day in Animal House...And that black Lincoln
    8 year old Anakin Sky Walker in the pod race in Starwars #1
    Steve MacQueen When He jumps the bike in "The Great Escape":cool:

25. senior fried

senior fried

Toad in American Graffiti, think about it, he did more in one night than most guys do all summer.He got the good looking girl that likes to drink ,he gets drunk and gets sick and sobers up, gets car stolen and gets it back, was at the scene of an armed robbery, gets the shit kicked out of him and walks away, and is the starter for one of the most famous drag races ever and gets a ride home in Milners coupe while the sun is rising, not a bad night !

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 2, 2009
  26. fordfan289

fordfan289
    from indiana

Mitchum in Thunder Road. What about Bufford T Pusser I think that was his name cant remember the movie name hick sherif carried a stick and not that crappy rock remake.

27. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

Let me have a Three Musketeers, and a ball point pen, and one of those combs there, a pint of Old Harper, a couple of flash light batteries and some beef jerky.

28. Yeah, Toad does everything but actually get laid.

I'd have to pick a couple that aren't car movies but detective movies instead, it's tough to argue with John Wayne's McQ racing around Seattle chasing drug dealers in a laundry van. And The Big Sleep.. Bogart as Marlowe, driving a '38 Dodge coupe if I remember correctly. Seems like he also drove one of those in High Sierra, although in that he's the bad guy rather than the detective. But they were real tough guys.

29. Muttley

Muttley

How about Gene Hackman as Jimmy Doyle in The French Connection? Not really a "car movie" but the chase rules.

30. zombiesarebad

zombiesarebad
    from Maine

I say it's a tossup between Mel Gibson in Mad Max and Steve McQueen in Bullitt.

I think there are a few quasi-car movies made within the last few decades that are decent (although they can't compare to most of the older ones). Has anyone seen Black Cat Run, Blood Guts Bullets & Octane, or Highwaymen?