Register now to get rid of these ads!

New Winters QuickChange

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by iracer, Sep 24, 2009.

1. iracer

iracer

I talked with Winters today about a new quick change they are selling. It is the V8 center section but Winters have replicated the style of the Ford bells. Nothing is posted on their website so the Winters guy is sending me some pictures in the next few days. I am too anxcious to wait that long, anyone have a few pictures or a flyer.

2. Whats the price on that sucker???

3. iracer

iracer

Do not have final quote for the piece but 1 assembly minus brakes is about $3000.00

4. With keyed axles or late style axles?
    Not a bad price for a near complete assy, good luck with it.

5. banjorear

banjorear

I would agree on the price point. Keep us posted on this.

I've never put one together but, what I understand, you need to know what you are doing.

6. 40Tudor

40Tudor

How is it different from what Dick Spadaro has been selling?

7. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

They are not hard to set up the pinion comes set up from Winters already you just have to set up the carrier preload and ring gear lash if using the old ford internals
    for 3 grand it must be using a better diff carrier and axles other wise its not very cost efficient.
    If you can find a good donor banjo for 400.00 you can put one together for about 2 grand just buying the Winters center w/ring gear

8. iracer

iracer

The axles are standard 9" axles. He asked on the phone if I wanted the Torino style rear axles???? That is their most prominent selling axle.

No clue on the Dick Spardo unit.

9. Using the Torino Axel flange will require the Torino brakes, which are available in the aftermarket.
    The Winters V8 Quickchange is a great rear end, check out there catalogue online.
    HemiDeuce.

10. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I have sold dozens of the complete Winters QCs both the V8 and Champ and have had no problems. The new early Ford style bells they are making have the appearance of an early Ford taper but the outside 8 or so inchs are a consistent 3inch diameter to make attaching brackets easier. You really don't notice it when the brackets are attached. Also I believe it uses O rings instead of gaskets where the ends attach to the housing. Torino ends just refers to the late style big bearing ends with 3/8 T bolts and a 2.5 end spacing instead of the early big bearing ends with 1/2 inch T bolts and a 2.36 axle end spacing.

11. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh wow! If they're selling them with replicated Ford style bells, that will be awesome and the price seems pretty reasonable, in my opinion. I had Hot Rod Works put together my Winters V8 with bells that I had purchased and it cost me about $3500 without brakes PLUS the price of the bells and shipping them the bells. Have about $4200 invested with all shipping charges and everything for what would be the same axle.

Sounds good to me! Keep us posted!

What the hell is the difference between Torino style vs standard big bearing Ford axles?? Never got a straight answer on that when I last asked here.

12. mogara

mogara

I think you should use a Jag rear end.

falcongeorge likes this.
  13. banjorear

banjorear

That is good to know.

If that is the case about set-up, I would agree with the point you brought up about the price.

14. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

Why would you suggest using a jag rear end?

15. sixdogs

sixdogs
    BANNED
    from C

I bought an incomplete project and got the "Championship" IRS center section with it. It is wonderful. I can't figure out how to attach it here but the exploded parts list and owners' manual can be download off their website. You can search the net and there are lots of photos of cars with them.
    It is a great rear end and make sure you know how to set the thing up. Mine has zero degrees inclination--driveshaft angle--and I had to re-do some things. Don't take the center section apart unless you feel real lucky.
    It is a great setup and I thought I would never own one. Now I will probably never build something without one. I have a 10 spline and straight cut quick change gears that have a pretty good whine to them. . Can't sneak up on anybody. You can buy extra cover gaskets from Speedway for an honest price
    Attached are photos of mine during setup and then complete. Warning--not an approved HAMB car and your retinas may be burned if viewed.

Attached Files:

• 007.JPG
      007.JPG
      File size:
      178.7 KB
      Views:
    • 014.JPG
      014.JPG
      File size:
      136.3 KB
      Views:
  16. iracer

iracer

temper_mental: He is a good buddy of mine and he is f'in with me. He is building a 27 Graham with a Stovebolt. Truck looks really cool. Wish he would finish it and stop driving his old Pontiac around:)....

Once I get all the information on the rear end I will post it.

Scootermcrad, same dilemma I faced. I bought all the stuff from Hot Rod Works to convert my 41 Banjo to 9" axles with 9" brakes. I was too cheap to ship my bells to them so I thought I could either do it myself or get it done. None of my sources wanted to touch it for less than $600, same as Hot Rod Works. My original projected savings of $1000 for doing myself started eroding real fast. After much deliberation and talking with Nick at Hot Rod Works, looks like I will be putting a Winters in the car. In the end, I should of bit the bullit and shipped all the stuff to Nick. Once its all said and done, I think the car will look really cool with the Winters.

17. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

I built mine for under $500, and my dad has 2 that he has less than $1500 into, git out there and git greazy

18. wkends

wkends
    from Kentucky

IMG_1059.jpg Here is what you are looking for.

19. robt500

robt500
    from Lex, KY

20. VAPHEAD

VAPHEAD
    BANNED

I like the new old axle housing.
    Winters stuff is nice,done 5? this year.
    (couple came from Spadaro,don't tell him)

Last one was the complete unit with the busy looking ends.

Attached Files:

21. banjorear

banjorear

Wow, that is pretty neat. I wish they would make their stuff here in the US of A. I understand that the V-8 units are foreign cast and machined.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. If I am, it may sway me to look more seriously at their stuff.

22. iracer

iracer

Wkends thanks for the picture. On Monday all the information from Winters arrived. I have been down with my daughters cold for the last couple of days so I will try to post the Winters brochure tomorrow. Working with Nick at Hot Rod Works I ordered the new rear end. Depending on the options you order less brakes is is around $3200. Add Ford 9" drum kit from Hot Rod Works and the total package is around $3500 to $3600. A little pricey but I think, in the end it will be worth it.

Nick at Hot Rod Works has been great to deal with. I will be working with those guys when I starting working on my wifes truck.

23. iracer

iracer

This is the brochure from Winters. Hopefully it uploads ok.

Attached Files:

24. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is AWESOME!!!!! Now here's the question.... What is the intended drum to drum axle width to be for this unit?

25. iracer

iracer

Custom width, you specify they build to your numbers. I wanted 61.5" drum to drum and they said no problem.

26. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

WOW!!!! Very cool! That's a nice breakthrough for the traditional hot rod folks.

27. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Yes thats really gonna help out the guys that have too much HP for a Banjo to handle yet want the look.

28. iracer

iracer

Quick update. Received a phone call yesterday from Nick, 58.625" axle flange to axle flange is the widest rear axle Winters can produce with this option. Thought I would let everyone know.

29. dabirdguy

dabirdguy
    Member Emeritus

I like the old look better:
    [​IMG]

falcongeorge likes this.
  30. sota

sota

Old look....you are kidding right:confused: