Register now to get rid of these ads!

Car Insurance? I used the search button and i still have questions?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Reverend Ben, Sep 30, 2009.

1. Reverend Ben

Reverend Ben
    from Sanford NC

I have been told i'm stuck in Limbo on the whole collector car insurance. I have my 52' Chev, 60' Buick and 77' Vette. I don't have a garage and I am paying too much for liability. No garage means no Hagerty/Grundy type Ins. but what are my other options? Any help will definitely be returned in Karma. And not the Ghia type. Thanks Hambers!

2. 5window

5window

Who do you have your regular cars insured with? Check with them. My Nationwide agent steered me toward several collector car insurers and we found one that could "stack" all my liability coverages.

3. boldventure

boldventure

Have you checked more than Grundy/Hagerty? There is a Grundy rep on this board Becky from Grundy (search members) pm her for details.
    Where do you store your cars?
    Most of the companies that offer the agreed value coverage have "800" numbers, do a Goggle search for collector car ins. and call until you get the answer you want.
    Have you actually talked to any reps. from the ins. companies?

Last edited: Sep 30, 2009
  4. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

my insurance guy is also a car guy.we put a replacement value on my car.and insured it for that. i have full coverage,its just like the insurance i have on my daily...

5. dynaflash

dynaflash
    from South

There are a few things that can be issues with the collector car insurance.
    1) the whole garage thing, but I did check with them and if you are at a show and staying in a hotel it is covered.
    2) You can not drive the car to work or to run errands. Well, I drive me car to work sometimes and on Sat, I take it out to run some errands. Not because I do not have another car to drive, but because it is fun. They (Hagerty) told me that I would not be covered to do this. They said I would be covered if I was on my way to a show or to the repair shop.

6. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

You need to check with Grundy then cuz my car is covered no matter where and when I drive it. No where in my policy does it state it is not covered doing a certain task or on a certain road. The only exception is my car is not covered on a race track or drag strip or while someone under the age of 26 is driving it. Also, there is no milage restrictions, I just turned 100,000 miles in my car in seven summers covered wtih Grundy. Grundy LOVES people out enjoying and driving their cars.

7. moparted

moparted
    from upstate ny

the issue is that the original poster doesnt have a garage.

8. boldventure

boldventure

where does he keep his cars!!????????????????

9. CoupeDeRock

CoupeDeRock

We recently received quotes from Grundy on 15 of our cars and the pricing sure was better than the State Farm pricing we have been paying.

Our other quote is from ANPAC and they have very comparable coverage to Grundy and no mention of garage storage. www.anpac.com or 1-800-CARBUFF.

Good luck !

10. five-oh

five-oh
    from Arkansas
    1. HAMB Old Farts' Club

I've ran into the same issue because of a lack of garage space and too many toys. My insurance agent put me with a company called Safeco and was able to get full coverage (agreed value) on the '46 with no restrictions on driving and no garaging necessary. I've not needed to file a claim, so I don't know how it pays off, but it's reasonably priced. It'll do 'til I get the garage expanded a bit.

11. Brewton

Brewton

Grundy is your best bet in my book. I'm in the insurance business and I have my coupe insured with them. There are other good insurance companies out there that also specialize in collector cars, but I like Grundy.

12. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

My buddy tried Hagerty, no garage. The agent said that as long as it was behind a locked fence, it was OK.

13. jroberts

jroberts

When I signed up for Hagerty they said there was a mileage limit. I called their main office and asked about that. I was concerned because I driver to lots of events that are not close by. Two or three could put me over the mileage limit. I was told not to worry about that, especially if it was to a car event. I'm taking them at their word.

14. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

I have State Farm, no garage requirement, less than 200.00 a year for 25k agreed value. No driving resrictions....

15. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

They allow you like 2500 miles of personal use per year. Driving to and from events is not included in the personal miles.