Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features my first custom...'49 ford tudor

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 2345.coupe, Sep 13, 2009.

1. It probably would be better to ask Jamco why they changed the upper a arm mounting brackets....here is the difference in photo,s.....old than new
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. poorboy

poorboy

good work so far

3. hottweelz

hottweelz
    from So. Cal

The old bracket was a crude peice of angle iron and was too tall. The new bracket is shorter which get the cross shaft closer to its original mounting location. Also it is laser cut for a better fit and finish.

4. manyolcars

manyolcars

In 1963, my dad and grandfather drove me 50 miles and bought a 50 Ford for $50

5. got the rockers cut out..........
    [​IMG]
    getting the motor back soon so I can marry the trans to it, mock it up and get some work done on the floor boards.......

6. greasy50chevy

greasy50chevy

coming along good keep us updated

7. claymore

claymore
    BANNED

Man you are doing some speedy work on your new ride. Got a lot done in a short time. Like your engine keeping it all Blue Oval family friendly. Does the stuff you coated the rear end with allow you to leave it in the no paint condition it's in now without worrying about rust?

8. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dude, you missed step one with hat build. Move to somewhere that white shit don't fall from the sky!

9. Man, you work fast. Looks good. I like the way tou are tackling this project. Lowering, safe braking, drivetrain upgrade and then a little body work. Good job....keep the pics coming...

10. sanded and treated the new rockers with "fast etch" ,looks pretty crappy ,also looks like less than full coverage....just brushed it on and keep wet for 20 min......then let dry..that's the zinc phosphate coating that's dried on the rockers..... then I wiped them off with lacquer thinner and sanded with 60 grit........started the initial mock up......
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

12. shoebox50

shoebox50

13. firehawgcfd

firehawgcfd

Awesome post. I have a newly acquired 50 sedan and plan similar upgrades to the suspension. Great pics

14. mocked up the passenger side rocker patch panel..........fits pretty good,needs a little bit more work to get it right...also have to weld up the holes in the inner rocker.....going to try and salvage the scuff plates.......
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Tony Ray

Tony Ray

nice build, looking forward to seeing your progress.I'm looking for a set of rockers for my 50, where did you get yours from and would you recommend em?

16. smarg

smarg

I think he has got this one right,good start keep banging it out looks good.

17. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

This is getting good.

18. WOW!! I think I am going to have to call JAMCO!! That suspension looks awesome!
    Thanks for the thread! Your car looks awesome.

My build has lost steam....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. there a lot of sources for shoebox parts out there, for example... ads in the HAMB, www.shoeboxford.com, www.Mac's.com, ebay, etc......
    spent some more time on the rocker mock-up............filled holes in the inner rocker...........the new patch panel is almost a correct fit........a little more work should do it.............
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. dirtybob

dirtybob

New guy here! I just got my 49 coupe home a few days ago and im going to be doing almost exactly the same work you have. Thanks for the great info and pics. Ill be following along so i dont butcher my car.

Here she is.

Attached Files:

• jane.jpg
      jane.jpg
      File size:
      65.7 KB
      Views:
  21. 32SEDAN

32SEDAN

Very nice 'box! I need a lift like yours!

22. SlamCouver

SlamCouver
    from Brazil, IL

New guy here! I just got my 49 coupe home a few days ago and im going to be doing almost exactly the same work you have. Thanks for the great info and pics. Ill be following along so i dont butcher my car.

Here she is.
    <!-- / message --><!-- attachments --><FIELDSET class=fieldset><LEGEND>Attached Thumbnails</LEGEND>[​IMG]
    </FIELDSET>

2dr sedan. but a nice start by the looks.

anyway your car is comming along nicely.

23. she's a beauty.........

24. got a '79, 302, c-6 truck motor...going to use the c-6 behind my fresh '68, 351w.....I'm pretty sure the flex plate from the 302 will work on the 351, I think they interchangeable on the older motors but not on the later year motors.......I think the newer c-6's require a different weighted flex plate for a 351.......I'll find out for sure before I marry them.........
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

25. desertdroog

desertdroog

I know you have a C6 in hand, but you are going to lose about 60 hp with that tranny. I recommend sourcing a C4. I have a 69 351W and a C4 in my 54 Ford Sedan and that combo works well.

26. I've searched c-4 vs c-6 and didn't come up with much information .......any chance you could point me in the right direction to research this.......could you explain the 60 hp loss with a little more detail............

27. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

The C4 is the one to get. You can probably get more info from a mustang website about this if anyone here doesn't chime in with the specifics or start a new thread in regards to the differences. I am going to be using a 351 W in my Merc with an AOD tranny.

28. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

You do nice , clean , organized work. Its nice to see a job well done!

29. I guess it's a very debatable subject...c-4 vs c-6.....one of my hot rod buddies has a real sweet '64 mustang and has burned up a couple c-4's..
    he heard of loosing hp with a c-6 because the clutches and converter are bigger thus taking more force to turn them.......I'm not sure about the 60 hp maybe 10 hp .......the c-6 is a tougher and stronger trans. so you can horse it around more and it probably won't break like a c-4......it's not like I'm trying to squeak out every bit of hp I can out of the motor for the drags..........besides the 351 will make up for the difference.....I also subscribe to Mustang Forums at Stangnet and I'll search it there and see what I can come up with...............

30. well, I searched it, googled it and researched it.......and in non-technical terms you can bullet proof a c-4 but it will cost you,they eat up 10-12 hp compared 30 hp for the c-6, the c-4 is lighter and preferred by the drag racers ......they wind up faster than a c-6.....the c-6 can handle all the torque you can throw at it ,it's preferred for a big block, and has great low end torque.....a lot of people who posted there comments preferred the c-6, but the majority preferred the c-4.....also mentioned in the mix was the AOD and PowerGlide....

Last edited: Oct 5, 2009