Register now to get rid of these ads!

Gasser challenge

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Deuces High, Aug 6, 2009.

1. Deuces High

Deuces High
    from East Tenn.

Looking for gassers to compete in a gasser shootout at a local nostalgia race in Tenn.

Anyone out there have one and up for it?

1.) Cars must be a full bodied car (no altereds, dragsters, or lowered street rod type cars)
    2.) Must have straight axle front suspension
    3.) No electronic fuel injection (if injected it must be mechanical)
    <!-- / message -->

Let me know here or by email at [email protected] or [email protected] .

Thanks all, Scott.

2. ratster

ratster

when and where will this take place? sounds cool

3. ratster

ratster

scott, i'll be in town fri nite at the cruz-in, so, get me some info

4. T-Time

T-Time
    from USA

Not to start the Gasser Wars all over again, but I gotta ask, "Why?" Straight axles were allowed, but certainly not required under gas class rules. A straight axle does not a gasser make, either.

5. Deuces High

Deuces High
    from East Tenn.

I agree that just because it has a straight axle doesn't mean it is a gasser that is why the rule for no lowered street rod types is there.

6. T-Time

T-Time
    from USA

That's not what I meant. I meant that just because it has a high front end with a straight axle doesn't mean its a gasser. And, it doesn't answer the question of why you would require a gasser to have a straight axle. Its your event and you can make up the rules, but it just doesn't add up to me, since a real gasser class racer was not required to have a straight axle, and many/most did not.

7. moparron426

moparron426

I agree a lot of try 5 chevy and nova and falcons ran gas class and did NOT have an axle under them, I just think you are excluding a lot of good cars with rule #2, but its your show to run any way you want, I hope you get a great turn out I love to see gassers run, just to far away for me to be there:cool:

so these trucks are OK

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

but these are not:eek:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

I'm building a '57 Chevy 2dr post wagon, strictly gasser style. No front bumper, nose-high, glass fenders, glass doors, 12-pt cage... you get the idea.

Stock front suspension, with 6cylinder coil springs to bring the nose up.

I've got a friend with a tilt-nose, big-block '56. Nose high, no front bumper, fenderwell headers, NICE car. Period correct, too. Stock front suspension.

Ditch rule number 2. No reason for it.

You might want to consider looking at Geezer Gassers or North East Gasser Association for their rules. They've got them covered; very realistic, very smart. Period correct wheels only, period-correct paint jobs only (no pastels or modern graphics), no electronic injection, no nitrous, no 2-step or other rev control for staging (rev limiter okay to save motor), no mufflers, etc.

When are you looking at running this event?

9. ratster

ratster

yep, ditch rule no.2 so Randy can run his 55

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  10. filthy frank

filthy frank

i agree with the #2 rule, but why butcher up a perfectly good body if you're not going to run 8s or even a 9 in the quarter mile?i remember seeing cars in the late 60s and the 70s running BETTER numbers.whats up with that?

11. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

It would be better to not limit it to only straight axles, unless you wanna call it the "straight Axle" shootout.
    It was not a neccesity for Gas classes...

12. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

Because its fun either way...not everyone has the cash to maintain/run an 8 second car...
    What cars were running 8's in the quarter in the late 60's?
    AA/GS, sure were, but, there were MANY gas classes...
    What about Flatheads/six-and four bangers?

13. Deuces High

Deuces High
    from East Tenn.

Dirty Thirty You have it exactly right because I am calling it "Straight Axle Showdown". It will be a shootout within the exiating nostalgia event that already takes place. That is why I said straight axle cars only. After all no one would expect to see a straight axle car (or even a subframed car) in a pro mod race. Any engine/trans combo will be allowed just no electronic fuel injection but for the show aspect I am sure most would enjoy seeing the straight shift cars run.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2009
  14. DuckusCrapus

DuckusCrapus

Scott,
    What is the date for this? I want to make the Drag bash on of these days. Feel free to post this event on the Pond if you wish.

DuckusCrapus

15. filthy frank

filthy frank

i saw a few gassers running in the 9 s,and other cars running in the 8s,and even feds running in the 7s,back in the late 60s and 70s.now,whenever a gasser pills up to the line,every body gets exited and the car only pulls off a 12,of a 15 in the quarter mile.to me,its just a let down,cuz i expected that car to pull off at least a 10 second pass or better.and i just cant talk myself into cutting up a car just to go slow.and yes,you are right,a lot of people didnt have a lot of cash to do 8s or even 9s,but neither did the guys back in the day.

16. Deuces High

Deuces High
    from East Tenn.

If there is enough interest in cars that want to come that are gasser type cars that are not straight axle I will change the name to "Gasser Getdown" but for now it is still "Straight Axle Showdown". :)

Duck I will post it there to share with everyone on the Pond. The Date is Oct. 3rd.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2009
  17. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

Ya never know what your seeing, either...A lot of these cars are recently built, un-tuned, un-tested, with somewhat, if not complete amateur drivers. It takes a long time to get a car running at optimum, I'm sure you know, and many of these cars, given time, will perform better and better...Give 'em a chance!:D
    A lot of the parts that the guys "back in the day" had to use, might not have cost much money then, but, NOW they sure as hell do...
    Just as much as, or more than new, AND if broken, are nearly irreplaceble, due to their obsolescence.
    It's apples to oranges.

18. Deuces High

Deuces High
    from East Tenn.

Ok I have already started getting some commitments to being there and I am opening it up to Gasser style cars and removing the straight axle rule. However I still want cars that sit at stock height or higher with no lowered cars. After all everyone thinks of a gasser as a nose high drag car from the 60's not the lowered street rod from the 80's-to the present. The rule about the fuel injection will stand with one minor exception being that if a car has the hillborn style stack injection then I will allow for electronic conversions but no late model fuel injection allowed.

Scott

19. dragnews

dragnews

Let me invite you to our Hot Rod reunion Sep 5. Sam and the South Central state gasser guys really have a pretty good show, might get some ideas.
    [​IMG]

20. stlouisgasser

stlouisgasser

Well, I'm glad you relaxed the "straight axle rule". If I ever get this '62 Biscayne finished, I'd like to be a part of it. I don't really wanna put an axle under this car, but I do want it to sit nose high in the front like an early Super Stocker or FX'er.

21. Huh?:confused:

22. Deuces High

Deuces High
    from East Tenn.

That meant that we would love to see the 4-speed cars!!!!!

23. Good to hear you relaxed the axle rule. I ran my '56 for 3 years before Uncle Sam heeded me. Won more than my share, all with a stock A-Arm front end.

Attached Files:

24. Deuces High

Deuces High
    from East Tenn.

I just came up with this idea on Wednesday and in just a few days I already have 7 confirmed (all are axle cars except 1) to participate with a few more that I am still waiting to hear from. It is looking like it is gonna be pretty interesting.

25. Deuces High

Deuces High
    from East Tenn.

It is this saturday and we have our wanted number of 16 gassers and still getting a few more cars wanting in as well so come on, the more the merrier!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

26. 56gasser

56gasser
    from lower al.

Where are you holding the event?

27. Cut55

Cut55
    from WA

wow!!!

28. coletrickle

coletrickle

It took a lot of conversations with the event orginizers of the nostalgia drags to let me run my vv in "vintage gas"but the class is growing we had 16 cars ranging from 57 chevs anglias,toyota 700 among them most sign written each year the class gets closer to the real roots gas racing.If you check out the book the gasser wars not everything was a blown willys with a straight axle the diffrent cars is what made gas racing a real gas!And it was called gas because they ran on gasoline not alcohol.

29. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

so much for doing something you wanted to..

30. storm king

storm king

I agree that these lowered, winged Willys and Anglias are not nostalgia cars. They should sit stock height or higher.
    I also think canning the axle rule is a very good move. Not that many gassers, taken as a whole of all those that ran back in the day, had "axles" under them, not that many at all.
    For those who really have no clue what the difference was between a gasser, an FX'er, or a modified production car, here goes; the primary differences...
    A gasser was a production bodied vehicle, which could be chopped, and have any type of engine you wanted in it, regardless of the brand of the body.
    FX was just that, cars modifed with experimental factory modifications, ususally confined to small engine and transmission mods, until the whole thing blew up with the advent of the AWB cars. They mostly ran match races, not NHRA class racing. When they did race NHRA, they were altereds.
    Modified production cars could have any engine of the same brand as the body manufacturer, but no chop or major mods to the body.
    I hope your event is vey successful. I must have missed the post where it says when and where it'll be, other than Tenn. I'd like to go to it if possible, maybe run next year if my little gasser is done. I doubt you'd want my stretched Dart there.