Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone done a 390 in a shoebox ford?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ande-bob, Sep 27, 2009.

1. ande-bob

ande-bob

Hi,
    To everyone who responded to my 351C/C6 query recently, thanks so much for the input. I drove the 100 miles yesterday to see the 351C 'Q' code Cleveland and C6 that's available. Its quite a mess although I haven't yet ruled it out completely.

For the same money, I can get a derelict 70 Torino GT with 390, C6 and supposedly a 9" with a traction-lock. Now I'm back to the same question - will it fit a shoebox Ford without cutting the firewall? Over the last while I thought about moving the rad forward of the rad yoke. It can be done easily and that will certainly help. If any of you have any insights or technical info into this swap, I'd sure appreciate it. Thank in advance.
    Regards to all,

2. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

A 390 in a shoe is doable, but would probably be more trouble than it's worth! The 260-289-302 route is beautful and you can buy mounts to do such.
    The 390 is a heavy, big motor, and would have to come forward in the engine dept. to clear the firewall. This would put the weight more directly over the already marginal shoebox's front supension. I've looked at my 428/C6 and thought "hum, what if?'' But I don't think it would make for a very drivable car.
    In theory, you can make anything work!

Swankey Devils C.C.
    " Quirks & Foibles oh my"

3. ande-bob

ande-bob

Hey, pimpin,
    Yea, I hear ya about the big heavy motor. My shoebox is soon to lose the stock suspension in favour of a Fatman-style MII frame clip with power rack so driveability shouldn't be too bad. Its just that I'm a big block kind of guy who's had numerous SBFs in Mustangs, Fairlanes and F150s and really didn't like any of them.
    Anyway, nothing is finalized yet. Going to look at a running 392 Hemi in a big old rusty Chrysler this week. Took some preliminary measurements off a friend's blown 392 in a Model A on the weekend......looks like that would fit better than the FE. Decisions, decisions, decisions.......
    Regards,

Bob

30 Model A Coupe /w BB Dodge
    50 Ford Club Coupe /w ?????

4. TomP64

TomP64
    from Vancouver

The 390 isn't much heavier than a Cleveland at all. It's lighter if you use aluminum heads and intake. I wouldn't worry about the weight, length can't be any longer than the straight six. Figure you need 30" firewall to rad.

5. Do it. dont think.. just do. no snag the 390 and do it to it.

6. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

front sump? right?

they interfere with the cross member so you have to push em forward and up...

I had a 428 FE stuffed in my 49... and I pulled it and sold it- I didn't like the way it looked or felt- just wasn't right. So whatever take that for what its worth...

If you want to run ford why not a 302 HO... they seem to be everywhere and cheap... and they fit in a shoe perfect. You can dress it up to look like a 289...

7. old beet

old beet

I have a rear sump pan in my F-1, stock Ford part......

8. shoprat

shoprat
    Member Emeritus
    from Orange, CA

Put a FE in a 56 f100 with mustang II. Rear sump, still had to trim crossmember
    and shove it back with sunken firewall.

9. CARCUTTER

CARCUTTER
    from MASS

You will need a rear sump pan out of a FE 4x4 pickup but I dont think you will have to alter the firewall.
    I put a '58 MEL 430 in my '54 ford post car with a toploader 4 spd with not many problems.

10. grab that running Hemi man!

11. smarg

smarg

390 sounds good the firewall will have to get cut out a little bit and most of the trany tunnel to adapt a bigger trans.Its a big deal but more power comes with a price.

If your gonna do any kind of motor swap in a shoebox that isn't a flathead you should probably clip the front end of the car cause you mostly likely to get killed with that front suspension.

12. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I don't think the M2 front end is a great choice with either the 390 or the Hemi; it's a lighter-duty front end than what came in there stock. An S-10 clip might be a better choice.

13. old beet

old beet

I've used a M2 in my F-1 for over 175K miles with a 390 C-6..NO PROBLEMS!

14. Tony Ray

Tony Ray

I'm actually getting ready to do that same thing. Ive a 50 ford shoebox, and the floors were toast, so I figured Id have to do some cutting anyway. I picked up a 64 tbird with a great running 390 and plan to stuff that in the shoebox.I figured Id use a rear sump pan, notch the crossmember if I need to.If I dont go with the truck pan I saw that canton sells the rear sump pans for 360 bucks..
    http://www.cantonracingproducts.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=15-874
    ripping out the old flathead this weekend and hope to try to mock up the 390 by next weekend.. good luck!