Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage East Texas Gene Winfield Metal Workshop 53 Chevy Chop (W/ Pics)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PeteFromTexas, Sep 28, 2009.

1. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

Gene Winfield is THE MAN!!!

If you haven't taken his class then you should. We chopped the top on my 53 Chevy and it came out amazing. I could not be more proud.

Gene taught us things like basic tool use and how to make tools. Everything from gas welding to making stainless trim from scratch. Watching Gene hammer weld was the highlight for me. It is amazing to watch him work. He made lead work seam so easy! He throws more information at you than you can possible keep up with.

Here are a few pictures of my car before and after and of the class. Thank you to my wife, Danilee, for coming out and taking pictures. I even got her involved and took some pics of her spreading some lead!!

It is a 53 Chevy 210. We used the rear window from a 51 Ford Club Coupe. The chop is around 4" in the front and somewhere around 5" in the back. We removed the drip rail and hand formed the C pillars. It will be getting the vent windows chopped and chromed.

I will be doing a progress thread starting at the beginning of the build very soon. I have a lot of work to do to finsih the chop and get the car lowered more to match the proportions.

On to the pics!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 28, 2009
  2. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

My photobucket screwed up. Give me 10 minutes

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cool, I'd sure like to make it to one of his workshops. Your wife has a great eye with the camera, it is very easy to follow along through the whole process. I also like the idea that it is almost all hands on instead of standing around watching Gene work.
    And to top that off the chop looks just right.

Now how about sharing a couple of photos of that sheet metal bender made out of pipe that is in the shot shot of Gene at the drawing board? That may be something that a lot of us could use.
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

4. Granger Perry

Granger Perry
    from Albany, WI

Where are you seeing the pictures?

5. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

6. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

7. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

8. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

9. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

Very cool I wanted to go this year but money has been so tight.

10. Blase

Blase

Is this class in East Texas? Can you post up some more info? I would love to learn how to do this for the day when I have something to work on. Why are the fenders cut?

11. Great porportions!
    It Just looks so much like GM should have done it to begin with.
    Call me when you get ready for a louvered hood.

12. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

The chop isn't quite done. It needs the welding to be finished, some of the gaps fitted and the edges smoothed and rounded. it was amazing watching it come together. Gene made it look so easy.

13. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

It was a one time thing. We might do it again next year.

14. kiwiboy

kiwiboy

As one of the lucky participants I really enjoyed it, Gene imparts his knowledge well through hands-on & class work. The man works like crazy, has to be told when to stop. Dudes 1/2 his age could not keep up....even Pete was at it to keep pace :D The hammer welding was the best thing I learnt. Well worth it......

15. Anderson

Anderson

Man, I bet you've got a shit eating grin on your face....that is very cool.

16. bigken

bigken

Awesome man, economy screwed me too.......... Now, is he gonna have another class to 'section' it?
    Cool weekend for ya, undoubtedly!

17. Slide

Slide

I had at least as much fun at this class of any car event I can remember. I learned a lot, met some cool people, and learned some more!

Gene is not only a talented customizer, he does a good job explaining the how's and why's while he's demonstrating.

Thanks to the Hatfield crew for hosting the event!!!

18. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

Yup. I took today off. I didn't bring the car home last night cause I knew if I did I would not get any rest. I would just want to work on it all day.

19. kiwiboy

kiwiboy

Amen, great shop & really nice people, made you feel right at home, recommend them :cool::cool:

20. pecker head

pecker head

Suite ! Looks cool bud !

21. Anderson

Anderson

What have you got going on with the front end? Looks like some heavy custom work in the future....

22. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

Super secret at the moment. But it will be cool. Lots of metalwork to still be done. It is going to be one heavy Chevy!!

23. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

A few more pics before I pull her in at the house.

Lots more to be done to finish the chop. Now I'm really getting the itch to start on the new frame and lower the suspension!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. nailhead terry

nailhead terry

Ok I did not get to come had to work I was the guy that provided the pipe for that bender have not see brother Dale yet tell me what you made with that thing. Love that car man consider yourself blessed by the car gods !!

25. 60 GASSER

60 GASSER

I took the one in midland at jack mcleans two years back he had painted his land speed car the day before and it was on the way to sema. He truly is the worlds oldest living teenager.

26. Wow, I think Gene is a great person. I also loved you're car man it is bitchin'. Do you think Gene will ever come to Nor-Cal to do a seminar? Also how much does it cost to go?

27. kieran

kieran
    from San Diego

he does one at his shop in mojave. i think it cost me like $300, but its worth every penny.

28. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

Cool! You're now the proud owner of a car that has been chopped by Gene :) That is something!!!

29. Johnny C.

Johnny C.

Great chop and sweet car. Getting to work with Gene chopping a top would be a dream for me. Very cool!

30. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

I have been on cloud 9. It's a dream come true.