Register now to get rid of these ads!

Oh no its going to the scrap yard!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by GEORGIADAWG, Sep 5, 2009.

1. GEORGIADAWG

GEORGIADAWG

So a few weeks back my neighbor comes over and tells me his dad has a 52 Ford F1 that has been sitting inside a barn for a good many years. He tells me the truck is complete but the Flat 8 is taking out but there and the front fenders are off but there. Even said the wood in the bed is in good shape.

So he told me that if i wanted a fender or any parts let him know. Well i of course thought that i would want to get the entire truck but seeing that it's sat in a barn for many years i didn't feel a need for urgency in working a deal for it.

Well i was leaving to go watch some football and he comes over today and tells me his Dad is cleaning the barn out so he can drag the truck out and take it to the scrap yard so is i want any parts to let him know.

I got a knot in my gut right now hoping i can go tommorow and work out some kind of deal with the old man, or is he just going to be a grumpy ol coot and ask a rediculous amount for the truck and i have to watch it get hauled off to the crusher?

2. 94hoghead

94hoghead

3. poseur111

poseur111

Whatever he tells you he wants for it, offer what you want to pay. And if you have to, remind him that anything better than scrap prices is a bonus. Plus, you'll save him having to haul it. Also offer to help him clean out his garage. Who knows what else he has and wants to get rid of, and you might get to hear some cool stories.

4. GEORGIADAWG

GEORGIADAWG

What would he get at a scrapyard for it? I wouldn't think that much

5. Larry T

Larry T

Find out what scrap prices are, offer him a little more and offer to haul it off yourself. He might be grumpy, but that doesn't mean he's stupid.
    Larry T

6. FlynBrian

FlynBrian

$7.50 a hundred pounds here in central florida, should be real close in price in Georgia. Offer him $225.00 for it, saves him the fuel and time of hauling it to the yard.

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Get there quick with cash greenies in your hand. If you show up early enough with cash in your pocket and don't make him wait for you to get the money it's probably yours for a bit more than scrap price and grabbing it and towing it away.

My grandfather was that way, if it wasn't worth anything to him anymore he would just as soon haul it to the dump as let someone have it. My mom's still pissed because he threw a big round oak clawfoot table in the junk pile about the time I was born because my grandmother had bought one of those "new" chrome legged art deco table and chair sets and the old wood one wasn't any good anymore as far as he was concerned.
    He also buried a Model T out here somewhere on the farm but would never tell me where.
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

8. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

Tomorrow would be a great time to stop procrastinating.

Next time some guys says "I've got an old car (or truck) sitting in a barn, and if you want anything off it come on over," you best drop what you're doing and head on over. That's the kind of thing you interrupt a BJ for.

-Brad

9. GEORGIADAWG

GEORGIADAWG

i really wasn't the one dragging my feet. He told me the truck was buried behind a bunch a crap and once they cleaned around enough to get some pics he would let me know. I just didn't think that cleaning around the truck would turn into him taking to the scrap yard.

10. Scrap prices are 7.75 per hundred in poplar bluff mo. this week. Thats $155 per ton a 3000 lb car about 330 dollars. We are getting our winch boom truck running. Plan on selling about thirty thousand dollars worth. or about 100 cars. Havent earned but $9000.oo so far this year:eek: so we can use the cash. Dont much like to sell to the chinese crushing consortium but a guys gotta do what he gotta do. OldWolf

Last edited: Sep 27, 2009
  11. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

$155 a ton so that 3000# will be $330 !!
    Uh in Iowa it would only be worth $233 for #3000 at $155 a ton.

12. A Little Odd

A Little Odd

I'd get a metal detector.

13. trad27

trad27

Its been a couple weeks, any updates?

14. your ouite correct i should do math in my head anymore:eek:. Guess it a result of getting old!:eek: Oldwolf

15. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

well its also how much of a pain in the ass is it for him to get it out ,,tow it ( if all teh brakes aren't locked up or flat tires )

you say hey look for teh effort you'll go through to get it there and what they might give you,,I'll give ya this and save you the time and aggravation

16. GEORGIADAWG

GEORGIADAWG

i keep getting the run around from the guy that lives across the street from me. He says the trucks at his parents land but when i mention going over there he has another excuse about nobody being there to open up the place. I have no idea what to think at this point. He told me he would get the truck pulled over here so i'll just wait to see if it shows up.

I would love to get it if it's real but i already have enough toys taking up money. If the truck shows up then i'll see about getting it. If i never see the truck then there's nothing i can do.

17. LOWFOMOCO

LOWFOMOCO
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am sure I could find a place for it....since you already have enough toys. Let me know if you need some help with the process. Any idea of it's condition?

18. GEORGIADAWG

GEORGIADAWG

since i haven't seen the truck i don't know what it looks like. He said the brake system is locked up but that the truck has been sitting inside a barn so it's "Suppose" to be in prety good condition. Until i see that there acrtually is a truck i won't know.

19. MarkzRodz

MarkzRodz
    BANNED

I've parted out right at 400 cars.
    That kind of deal has never worked out. I can tell you 10 or more stories of how either you pay $750.oo each or watch them go to the crusher,but never for a tad more than the crusher price.
    I watched 8 good Corvairs go to the crusher,, some convertables and all just about complete,including interiors.
    I offered the same deal as mentioned here and they all went to the crusher.
    In 1990 I had a deal worked out with a local inbred guy who "Loved crushing Chevies". What would happen is that he would load the chevy and come to my house,I would pay crusher price for the whole car and take off what I wanted (eng/trans/rearend disc brakes) and throw any other metal scrap back into the body. Then he would haul the rest to the crusher, we had two trailers so one was ready to hook up when he dropped off the one he had. After a while he told me "He didn't like people making money off him" and stopped bringing them to me.
    So a few months later Karma hit as I was driving East towards Memphis and saw his truck with a mid 70's Monte on the trailer.
    As I topped the next hill I saw him walking with a red gas can,,I honked, rolled down the window,locked the door and slowed down,,he grinned and thought he was getting a ride,,but I asked "Are you still crushing Chevies?" and drove off, it was a good 2 to 3 more miles to the next gas station. He couldn't see he was making more money than just crushing them but the Dickhead Factor came up,,it always seems to come up with trying to get an old car.