Register now to get rid of these ads!

cool dodge exhaust manifold

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by leadsleadolds, Oct 29, 2004.

1. leadsleadolds

leadsleadolds

I got a buddy looking for a set of these I know they have to be rare as shit. Has anyone ever seen a set for sale and if so how much did they go for? Was it a 64 only option?
    [​IMG]
    Being mopar I'm sure there a small fortune but wouldnt they look sweet in an open car.

2. Greezy

Greezy

Those headers in that pic are actually wooden mockups. I dont believe they actually went into production. The regular high performance mopar manifolds are real high dollar these days.

3. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

I think those were made from that rare metal known as unabtainum (Gee I sure hope I spelled that right [​IMG] )

Mopar had some pretty strange looking manifolds on the Max Wedge and early Hemi drag cars. I'm sure they were pulled and replaced with tube headers, probably before the car ever raced. Can you imangine how much those must have weighed on a drag car? Gene

4. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

I'm not sure if the manifolds pictured are the real deal or mockup versions. Fact is the factories had many exotic exhaust manifolds back in that era as thet were all playing with tuned lenght intake and exhaust. Pontiac even had cast aluminum manifold on some of their Super Duty 421's I believe. Anyhow as already been stated almost 100% of these were removed in favor of lighter weight, more tuned headers before they reached the track.
    As an interesting side note I heard that some of the Pontiac manifolds that were run in NASCAR actually melted from exhaust heat when they were run on the high speed tracks.

Frank

5. Paul

Paul
    Editor

if those Are made out of wood, it shouldn't be too difficult to whittle your own [​IMG]

a little more difficult and still not too practical; a set could be fabbed up out of plate steel.

an upswept tri-Y setup built with regular old header tube would be cool.

Paul

6. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

If that WAS real...I'd say one of a kind...

My Dodge Exhaust Manifold is cooler for 2 reasons:

(1) It's real
    (2) It has a big honkin' turbo hanging off the side of it! [​IMG]

7. 48_HEMI

48_HEMI

they were real all right, I saw a set laying under a work bench waiting for someone to haul them to the dumpster (40 years ago.) I picked up a set of the ford cast iron headers and packed them around for years before I finally sold them at Pomona in the 80's
    That photo shows the 4 speed set up but a few of the A/FX cars with torque-flites had the coolest push button set up on a console between the light weight van bucket seats, had a square tube housing the buttons at a 45 degree angle right at the spot where a four speed shifter would be. Anyone have a photo of one of those?

8. [ QUOTE ]
    if those Are made out of wood, it shouldn't be too difficult to whittle your own [​IMG]

a little more difficult and still not too practical; a set could be fabbed up out of plate steel.

an upswept tri-Y setup built with regular old header tube would be cool.

Paul

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually they made some that resembled that but not exactly in about '64 or 5. They weren't as extreme but they did sweep up and dump into a split collector. Like all odd ball MOPAR parts if you find a set you better call your banker.

Paul a set of headers like you mentioned are already in the works. But we still haven't decided if they will go on a Poly mill or a B/RB. Look for pics in the spring. [​IMG]

9. Those were supposed to be a new in '64 manifold, for the super stock plymouths and ramcharger dodges. They never got put on cars from the factory. they appeared in all the '64 advertising, but only saw a production of about 5 units or so. The advancement of the hemi program ended wedge production in feb or '64.

the five or so manifolds like that that did get built are really more of a footnote in the history books than anything else. David

10. Aren't those the mighty rare cast iron Max Wedge manifolds? I have heard that someone is reproducing a small expensive run of them. Don't recall who.

11. leadsleadolds

leadsleadolds

In the book I got that pic reads "The racious 426 cid wedge, with its ram-horn headers and up to 425 bph, returned for its last year as an option in any standard Dodge."
    Which lead me to belive they made em at least in '64.

12. they made max wedges with radical cast iron manifolds in '64. but they weren't the manifolds shown above. they were the exact same manifolds built in '62 and '63.
    those manifolds are currently being reproduced. the wild ones shown above aren't. David

13. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

Stock bigblock manifolds were bad about cooking the valvecover gaskets, I can't imagine what those things would do. Cool looking but engine toatsers for sure.