Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rudy;s truck brings $50K!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Groucho, Sep 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I agree. I see about $5K worth of sheet metal, about $7K worth of parts, a few hundred in some well thought out graphics, and a handful of weekends. BUT, in this case, it added up to a big home run. Like the Robert Lomas coupe. AWESOME car that went near $120K on Ebay (not meeting the reserve). What I saw there was, at a glance, a $20K body, $20K in parts, and $20K in labor. But a home run in looks. But I wouldn't value it past the $60K or so I outlined. Some times a car is worth more than the sum of it's parts I guess. Not to me. I heard the seller in yesterday's auction paid $900K for the Mazmanian Vette a few yrs back. Me, IF I were LOADED with $$$, I'd still clone it before paying that (and fix those nasty rear wheel wells);)

Last edited: Sep 27, 2009
  2. blackout

blackout

50K???? Better his money than mine.

The La Jolla for $22,500.00. That is the buy, no way to duplicate it at that price.

3. MrGasser

MrGasser
    from DETROIT

Groucho...I talked to the guy who originally bought that from Rudy when he had it on eBay...it was at the Indy Goodguy's, at the Waterfront Hotel, within a couple weeks of the purchase...the new owner lived in Indy, and claimed he sold a 9 second Pro Street Nova to get the cash to buy the truck...

...he had already taken off the hooker graphics, changed the wheel/tire combo, and added the #5's...I recognized it immediately, I had already seen it at Paso, WAY before the magazine article...

...his rationalization was, quote, "I live in Indy, a racing town, and I wanted the truck to look more racy"!!...yeah right! His son told me later, "my mom made him take off the hooker's"!!!

And, he told me he called Rudy and agreed to pay the reserve price if Rudy would stop the auction early...$25,000...

Then asked me if I thought Rudy would mind with how he changed the truck!!??

Wonder if he just changed out the doors and kept the OG one's with the graphic's?

4. Bud

Bud
    from Orange, CA

I remember having a beer with Rudy in his garage when he was building that truck and we told him people would go nuts over it. 50K nuts? We didn't know that. That truck is no rat rod and can't and shouldn't be blamed for all the abortions known as bobber trucks that have followed. That truck was and is a cool hot rod.

5. Ratstu

Ratstu

I can dig it!

6. olskool34

olskool34

Way too much money. I know it started the truck fad but honestly, 50k! Too much money and no brains. Ratstu, I DIG your truck,read the Olskool Rodz writeup on it. It was the reason I built mine. IMO, your is way nicer even if it was built after,

7. screwball

screwball

welcome to the investment crowd getting into the hot rod hobbie look what money morons have done to 32 fords. Now they are after what they belive has provinance but missed The La Joya as much as I like the Rudy's truck the prices seem backwards.

8. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Isn't it amazing the statements that have been made in the replys to this thread? You would think we were talking about some unknown rod or custom from the 60's or 70's. IMO it goes a long way toward explaining the somewhat unaware tilt that the HAMB exibits at times. That truck probably got more press than the Doan Spencer deuce did when it was new.

Frank

9. blackout

blackout

You just have to laugh. $20K for the car, $30K for cartoons of mexican whores painted all over it. "Proud new owner" Ha ha ha.

10. Your Right Frank,,and it's a crying shame! HRP

11. Antny

Antny
    BANNED
    from Noo Yawk

OK, it got lots of press. But does that make it worth $50k? What's special about the truck?

12. brandonwillis

brandonwillis
    from Tucson AZ

thats a really bitchen truck, I dont think id shell out 50k for it though. Nice truck over all though.

13. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

Clone it right now... Post pics on here and see what kind of reaction it gets. The same EXACT ones that are singing its praises, will slaughter you for building a rat rod.

Milestone: Maybe...?
    Cool engine: Yes
    Rat Rod: Yes
    Worth 50K: NO

Kevin
    Ooltewah Speed Shop

14. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

Maybe it was 50K Yen.............HaHa

15. 60 Belair

60 Belair

HA HA:) that's what I was thinking

16. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

May NOT be a Rat Rod in our circle, but I almost guarantee the person that bought it, thinks it is. Just speculation, of course.

R.U.B. choppers are tanking....Rat Rods is HOT!

17. Kulturepimp

Kulturepimp

Its amazing how much Hammer Art on gasoline alley had to fix on that truck to make it road worthy... and I guess when you buy someone elses car you should never change anything on it, let alone try and make it your own? That guy was a retired fire man who drove that truck alot and had fun, why the hell would he want hookers on the doors? I bet rudy is kicking himself in the ass for not selling it for $50 grand... I never cease to be amazed... thank you once again...

18. Koolade

Koolade
    from Illinois

That truck is just plain gnarly. Does $50K really mean much at an auction like that though, with a bunch of cats running around with huge money burning a hole in their pocket? I just hope this doesn't do to parts we all need what Barrett Jackson did to the price of a decent car that some guy thinks is worth $50 grand, cuz one just like it sold on that TV auction for $75K.

19. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Rudy's truck was a seminal vehicle in a shift of the hot rodders' thinking. Much the same as Alex's bellytank, Lil John's billet rod or Coddingtons Boydster. Worth 50 G's for what it is? Nope. Worth 50 G for what it represents historically? yep.

20. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

The engine is killer,the rest is ok,not my style but that engine.WOW

21. Personally I thought I was going to be sick when the hammer fell at $50k.

The car before it was an A V8 that couldn't have been more "Right". It was featured at the First Oakland Roadster Show and was taken apart and put back together during the show to demonstrate what Hot Rods were all about. It was built by Bob Debisschop who went on to build Indy Cars. It sold for $30,000.00
    There was a 33 5 window with just the right Patina and no rust and a healthy Flatty that went for $30k as well.
    The Jack Stewart 41 Ford that was done by Ayala Bros and finished by Barris was given away at $25k.
    And that thing brings $50 ???? That is just insane

As for it being called a Rat Rod that was the description in the unbelievable quality "Catalog" for the show and was written with input from the well respected author and historian Ken Gross - so Yeah, it really is a Rat Rod! and the dams thing would even run. Each time they got it running earlier in the day, it wouldn't restart.
    This is not a knock on Rudy, Heck I bought my 33 Truck from him, but that jus isn't worth close to fifty in any normal world.

22. T.W.Dustin

T.W.Dustin

I just don't get the $50K thing. I like the engine but I really don't care for fenderless trucks like that.

"To each his own" I guess.

23. Mojo

Mojo

I can't believe that! That's absolutely insane if it did! I love that car, other than the grille. Amazing deal if it really sold for that.

24. Hey_Pauly

Hey_Pauly

Awesome, awesome, awesome truck. Can you say new desktop background?

25. Larry T

Larry T

Yep, it sold for that. And I hope the seller made plenty of money on the Rudy truck. He lost over $1,000,000.00 on the Chevelle convertible.
    Larry T

26. Often imitated, but never duplicated.

Sam

27. OCTANE ORPHAN

OCTANE ORPHAN
    from Ohio

I can see 50 grand for this truck.... You have to think of all the people who have tried to build it for less and failed. This truck was the first of its kind and there has been a million of them built since that and they all suck. I think there is a rule of thumb when building a hotrod, it comes down to 3 things: Wheel & Tire, Stance, and Over all perportion. This truck has them all. This truck set a trend and is just as influential as Shimmy Jines truck. Hammer Hank

28. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

This term gets thrown around to much.

29. Anyone have all the results from the auction yet?

I checked the RM website, but they haven't updated it yet...Maybe Monday I guess?

30. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

i second the comment that is a land mark build. it IS the truck that set a style, good, bad, or otherwise. it set a standard by which all other are measured. also the hookers rule.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.