Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. racer5c

racer5c

Some pictures from Jungle Park yesterday

Attached Files:

2. racer5c

racer5c

more

Attached Files:

3. racer5c

racer5c

having trouble getting the rest to post will add later

4. racer5c

racer5c

lets try this again

Attached Files:

5. racer5c

racer5c

looks like I am able to post again

Attached Files:

6. racer5c

racer5c

last batch

Attached Files:

7. racer5c

racer5c

I have these pictures in higher resolution if anyone wants them but had to make them smaller to post them here

8. metal bender

metal bender
    from texas

Some pictures of a car I,built 3 years ago, sold to a man in Ill. he put a 270 offy in her. This may be the car for sale ?

Attached Files:

9. metal bender

metal bender
    from texas

Try a 122 cu. pinto with hilbourn inj. ............. power takes bucks, going to run old fart racing it needs to get up to 65 mph .. may be :rolleyes:

10. racer5c

racer5c

I know I ran an Esslinger version for a few years just my feeble attempt at humor, OR what you could tell people that don't know

11. racer5c

racer5c

when I worked at the IMS museum this was one of my two favorite cars in the museum you did a great job at re creating it

12. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Thanks for all the pics guys.
    Metal Bender- Do you know any more about this one? It's one sweet piece.

Attached Files:

13. texasracing

texasracing
    from Texas

Tom Marshall also went through the barn. I think it was 1974 0r 1975. My brother and I own the car, and are doing a total restoration.We are looking for pictures of the crash and afterward. It was the #8 Chapman Bros. car of Dallas. Thanks

14. wynns #1

wynns #1

Hi Guys,
    For obvious reasons, I have an interest in the cars that Wally Meskowski built. Can anyone shed some light on this car
    In June 63 the Comp. Eng. champ car appears with a chevy engine and does well at Milwaukee and Lang. then dissapears from the USAC records. Ironically in July, the Lil Beanie #66 driven by Micket Shaw / Wally built,chevy powered car appears and finishes the season. In 1964, the 66 is gone and the car seems to reappear as the McDermott 44. Is this car the same?
    Is there a connection to the Schmidt owned, Wally wrenched,#44 four bar car from 1959?

15. metal bender

metal bender
    from texas

They said it was a Hank Henry car, it is a beauty in side and out, doesnt get any better than this one .

16. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

wynns-
    Actually the C/E car first appeared at Springfield 1962 with a chevy and with B.Marvin up who drove it most of the rest of the season. But, yeah, the whole Meskowski champ car history is kinda a can of worms with lots of ownership/driver changes etc. You might already be aware of this but there is a pretty comprehensive Meskowski history here. Near as I can tell it is pretty accurate but I'll let you be the judge:
    http://www.oldracingcars.info/marques/indy/meskowski/

17. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

I met Rollie Beale today at a local car show. He was showing a recently acquired 1947 Hillegas V8 60 that had me mezmerized. Nice fellow, nice car.

18. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

Yes Wynss#1 the same car. Pete Schmidt still had the Kuzma through 1960 season, Wally struck out on his own with the #7 of Sachs in 1959 then #44 C/E 4 bar car in 1961 with Marshman. Which became the 8 Offy, then 8 chevy, then the 9,...66, 44...19...

Rootie is right, the 66 turns into the McDermott car and stays McDermott through 1965 (driven by Carl Williams then).

Then I lose lock on what happened to it.

19. tex44

tex44

20. Scott Ruth

Scott Ruth

Hi,

I'm Jim "Spike" Ruth's son, Scott.

I wanted to get on the boards and let my Dad's friends on here know that this morning (Sunday Sept. 27th) my Dad had a stroke (possibly a series of strokes, the doctors aren't certain as of yet). I know he has a number of you guys on here who he regards as close friends so I thought I should post this info here since he won't be back online for atleast some time.
    His speech has been greatly affected as well as his right arm and leg. They have several consultations scheduled for tomorrow to figure out exactly what happened and what the "game plan" as far as treatment will be. I'll try and get on here again as soon as I know anything else to keep you all updated.

Thanks,

Scott Ruth

21. racer5c

racer5c

Scott,

Your dad will be in my thoughts and prayers.

22. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Deeply sorry to hear that Scott.. Please keep us all posted.

Our thoughts are with you all..

Joshua Shaw

23. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

So sorry to hear that, let him know that "Rootie" is thinking of him and please keep us updated.

24. Scott, my prayers for your Dad & your family,
    mlight9.

25. jjones752

jjones752
    from Indy

I only know Spike through this thread but I've come to appreciate his contributions. Add my name to the prayer list.

26. add me too. Your Dad is the real deal.

27. That is not the car for sale. The one for sale is the Belanger Spl that ran Indy for the one you had built. I worked on freshing it for the 2003 Amelia Island Concours. It raced at Indy in various configurations from the mid-30's to 1949. It has raced in the 500 more than any other car. It was also in the 1950 movie "To Please a Lady" starring Clark Gable.

28. <CENTER>Murrell Belanger, Duane Carter and Clark Gable

</CENTER>
    <CENTER>[​IMG]</CENTER>

• This photo, taken in 1950 during the filming of Gable's 1950 racing movie To Please a Lady, was originally from the collection of Donna Belanger Haniford, daughter of Murrell Belanger, owner of the car. Duane Carter was the driver. Marshall Corns, a licensed 3-A mechanic who worked on the car at that time

29. Another pic with Clark Gable.

[​IMG]

30. OldBill

OldBill
    from PA

My thoughts and prayers are with Spike as well, Scott.