Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. Bob Bender

Bob Bender

Yes we did but, it was so much fun then.......I lived in Pa. then and ran alot of stockers from h/sa to a real fun z/s vega. Back in the day I help a lot of fast guys like Spyder Spanakos and such. Now I have my Fat Girl (4400lbs) o/sa wagon and still having fun. Your Dad was a hell of a good guy. Every sat. night at Maple Grove was like a National Event.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2009
  2. Jim.Biron

Jim.Biron

Anyone remember Harold Kreeber and his 'Shazam' cars? Harold owned 'The Speed Barn' in Kinderhook, NY and ran it with his two sons Mike and Tom. He was the one who really got me into the sport for real.
    Tom was the driver and he was always a favorite at Lebanon. I believe there was at least one other car but the two that I remember more than any others were the 57 Chevy (Black with school bus yellow stripes) and his 69 Z/28.
    Ahhhh... memories.
    I know Tom is still in the business with a I/SA 65 Coronet and is always a top competitor.

3. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

Some great shots there, Dog427435; especially this one. It really captures the essence of that era as I remember it (i.e., early 1970s).

Pete

4. Chuck Norton

Chuck Norton
    from Division 7

Tony Janes will know for sure but the story, as I recall, was that John made the trip to Indy without entering the car in advance. The Illinois Shaker was pre-entered. NHRA has been fairly picky about that formality for a long, long time. I remember Tony telling me that he paid for his Winternationals entry at the gate in 1963 but they began requiring a pre-entry registration shortly after that.

Incidentally, I raced against what must have been the second, gold-colored, Phil Cooper '57 at Pomona in the SS/QA class final at the Winternationals of 1974 when it was driven by Karen Gaines, also of Illinois (I think).

c

5. Head NED

Head NED
    from York, PA

Junior Stock was the backbone of NHRA drag racing. Lot's of memories. Join the Junior Stock reunion at the York Reunion on July 9-10th at the York Expo Center,
    York Fairgrounds, York, PA. If you miss it you will be kickin' yourself. Darwin Doll

6. Tony Janes

Tony Janes

John never got"bounced". At the 68 nationals he lost to John Archambalt. At Indy in 1970 he won class. He beat Archambalt about the 3rd roud and beat Dick Butler for the trophy. In the 1st round of the eliminator he lost to Pete Kost.

7. Bob Rice

Bob Rice

Ran across some Bill Truby pics last night. Anyone remember the Stahl car being run in D/S and later in C/MP?

Attached Files:

8. Bob Rice

Bob Rice

I know these border on the end of the Junior Stock era but they are still nice to look at........Barry DeSalve and Tim Worner in the ex Larry Lombardo "Buckshot" Nova. Anyone recognize the Mustang?

Attached Files:

9. Bob Rice

Bob Rice

The Sheehan Brothers Biscayne. Anyone recognize the '57 wagon in the background?

Attached Files:

10. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

Welcome to this thread, Darwin! Next year's Junior Stock reunion sounds very good. Btw, if you have any experiences that stick in your mind we'd sure love to hear 'em.

Regards,

Pete

11. LAWAUTO

LAWAUTO

67 W-30,
    I think you must mean "John" Archambault got bounced, NOT "John" Barkley.
    The reason I know is because I ran "Archey" in the final for class and helped him tear his motor down for Tech."What a long night"
    There were so many cars in the class that it rained and had to run the last cars the next day. Three of us were left Archey,Barkley and myself, so as "decent racers" were and still are, we flipped for the buy run and I won.
    Unknown to John, several weeks before Indy, NHRA would not allow multi angle cuts on the valve seats.
    I believe that his engine builder didn't know this either. Prior to Indy mine were removed. I felt bad for John as he's a real nice guy and desevred to win. With mixed feelings, I was sad for him and was happy to even get runner up,but knew my car was O.K.,it checked and was declared the winner.
    More things went my way as in the 1st round ran Wheatley Brothers 55 Delivery, 2nd round Linda's Ford (I believe from Canada) she red lighted, and third round I lost to Jim Waibel's 57 Chevy 4dr ht. The next round (semi final) Jim lost to the Dragon Wagon which then was runner-up to Larry Lombardo in his Famous "Buck Shot" 61 corvette.
    Lou L.A.W. - 57 Chevy - Special Delivery 1

12. LAWAUTO

LAWAUTO

There seems to be a mix-up as to the classes.
    John and myself "WERE NOT" R/S cars.
    Of course, someone always gets my name and/or address wrong - it should be Lou Cuviello,Fairview,N.J. - M/SA

13. LAWAUTO

LAWAUTO

Colesy,
    Nice pics, I think her car was a blue one that ran at Indy.
    Could be mistaken "we're all getin old"
    I have some pics that Ron Sanders (Lumley/Sanders I/SA)sent me back then but he didn't get a pic of Linda running me.I'll try to post them.
    Lou

14. Bob Rice

Bob Rice

Found this pic the other day.

Attached Files:

15. LAWAUTO

LAWAUTO

Again thanks for the pics Ron (Lumley/Sanders I/SA)
    1. Archey and me class final
    2. 1st round Wheatley Brothers 55 Delivery
    3. 3rd round Weibel 57Chevy 4dr ht
    4. NHRA photo Class Trophy
    No 2nd round againest Linda's ford

Attached Files:

16. TMcCrea

TMcCrea
    from Maryland

Lou,

Was Little George or Buck driving the Wheatley's car when you ran it?

17. Bob Rice

Bob Rice

Mr. Janes, are they referring to the car?

Attached Files:

Stock Racer likes this.
  18. Tony Janes

Tony Janes

Bob Rice: That car was A V/SA from the 1979 and 1980 era

19. Bob Rice

Bob Rice

I was aware of that. I thought some of the guys might like to see it.

20. LAWAUTO

LAWAUTO

T
    Not sure who was driving!
    I remember he got a slight handycap head start.
    Lou

21. James Maxwell

James Maxwell
    from So-Cal

All I can say is WOW what a great detailed thread about great detailed cars, it was once said these Jr. Stocks were the most prepared drag cars that ran for the least amount of award money. But the pride of good performance was as strong or stronger of any drag race class that is for certain!

22. Bob Rice

Bob Rice

In progress.

Attached Files:

23. Mike Cirillo, Forest Garage, Hartford, Ct.

24. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

*From Post # 2009 ... "

It was a dreary Sunday afternoon in the Baltimore suburb of Pimlico ... October 20, 1968. A few of us got together and went to the local movie theater to watch the live closed-circuit telecast of the NHRA World Finals.

Toward the end of the 3+ hour telecast they showed the Stock final run between Bill Izykowski's
    '66 and Dave Boertman's (P/S) '59.

I think Dave got about a three-second head start. It was 'edge-of-your-seat' close and the result sure changed Boertman's 'career path.' My friends and I definitely got our five bucks worth!"

25. Head NED

Head NED
    from York, PA

Junior Stock was the backbone of NHRA drag racing. Always was and always will be.

26. Head NED

Head NED
    from York, PA

I have always had a soft spot for Junior Stock. Division One was loaded with talent
    and we share the memories every year at the York Reunion. The 2010 show will have
    a Salute to Chevrolet, a Tribute to Junior Stock, and an HHR jamboree. Hope all the
    Junior Stockers will come out an support the show and visit with the real backbone
    of NHRA drag racing. There is a four page story and photos from the '09 show in
    the October issue of Musclecar Review magazine.

27. biscaynes

biscaynes

here's a pict of the 'KNOCK ON WOOD'....
    found it (the pict) awhile back.

[​IMG]

28. biscaynes

biscaynes

and, anyone know this '66? appears to be an older jr stocker racing again.:confused:

[​IMG]

29. Jim.Biron

Jim.Biron

Yeah Dave.. That's a picture I took way back when (April 1970 was printed on the actual photo). You can find it in my photos at ChevyTalk.com.

30. Head NED

Head NED
    from York, PA

It's amazing how those programs have become collector's items. You can buy them
    on eBay for $15 to $20........Darwin Doll