Register now to get rid of these ads!

James Dean Run/Ducktail Run... who's goin'?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Smokin' Joe, Sep 16, 2009.

1. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

I hope somebody post a lot of pictures - my shoebox is wearing too old of tires to go that far - but just wait til next year!!

2. hodges

hodges
    from Indiana

This will be my first show this year-------WOW

3. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

yes - I have done the Indy swap in the past - but I think I wore Indy out........
    people came to expect me there.

as a result I only try to go to Indy a couple of times a year now

Thanks for the address

now I can print out a map and know exactly where I am going

weather man says 50% chance of thunderstorms on Sat.

so

does anyone hang around on Sunday at that show?

4. paintcan54

paintcan54

James Dean was our first major show when we quite drag racing and started rodding, around 1988 or '89, it holds a speical place in my wifes heart, we go to both but spend all day friday at James Dean then on saturday we go to Duck Tail, Gas City is slowing taken the Dean people, much bigger park and more for the women to do with all the venders and home made stuff. for the women to buy.

5. Bobert

Bobert
    Member Emeritus

Wife and I will be there in the off topic van. I prefer James Dean for customs and my wife likes Gas City for the never ending traffic jam through the park. Weather doesn't look very promising.

6. Lalos53Ford

Lalos53Ford

Hey Trout, You can get there from 69. Its just a little further north of the fairmont exit. Can't remember the exit # but there is a Cracker Barrel and a Burger King at the exit. Get off there and make a left. That road runs right into Gas City. Real easy. I will be at the show all weeked. And Joe, The meet sounds great at 2:00. It would be great to meet more fellow hamb members!!

7. cabriolethiboy

cabriolethiboy

I'll be at James Dean on Fri, Sat I will be putting a hood that I built on the raffle car that they are going to assemble over the weekend and give away on Sunday.

8. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

can someone tell me exactly how to get to the park from the interstate?

9. mad torquer

mad torquer

I'll be there Friday and Saturday with the '62 Rag trying to sell it at both shows. Always a good time.

10. Ron

Ron

Gas City?
    From 69 take state road 22 into Gas City, go through town as soon as you cross the rr tracks there is a stop light, turn left(south) and the park is about a block down the road.

11. paintcan54

paintcan54

First I heard about a give away car at Dean ! I'll have to stop by and buy a ticket or two. Hope to see you there.

12. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

THANKS RON!!
    I looked and looked trying to find the address of that park - and never could find it.....
    the last thing I want to do tomorrow morn is have to spend an extra 10 minutes asking around how to get there!

seeya there in the morn.

13. harrington

harrington
    from Indiana

As Ron said, after the tracks turn left, it is South Broadway Street. The park will be on your right hand side.

14. cabriolethiboy

cabriolethiboy

Sorry, I meant to say they are raffeling a car at the Ducktail. I will be at both.

15. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

exit #59

16. paintcan54

paintcan54

OK, thanks Will be at duck tail all day sat.

17. Stopped in at Ducktail today (Wednesday) to get my swap space. It was as busy today at 4pm as Dean is at 4pm on a Friday.
    Just for the hell of it, drove past Playacres Park in Fairmount on my way home. There were about 20 cars randomly parked with some roped off parking. That was it....
    No swappers, no vendors yet.

18. nutajunka

nutajunka

I'll be there! Love the swap meets.

19. trout

trout
    from Indiana

Thanks for the info! I'll be there all day Saturday. I missed the cruise last night. Did it get rained out? Anybody get pics or video?

20. harrington

harrington
    from Indiana

Gonne get up early in the moring and be in Gas City by 8 a.m. Looking forward to seeing some nice cars. Looks like the chance of rain is down to 20% for tomorrow, should be a nice day for a car show. Hope to see some fo you guys there.

21. I've been going to both shows forever. (In fact, been to Gas City every year since it started). We stay in Gas City.
    I had to drive my brothers purple '50 Chevy because my '48 Ford hasnt had a good test drive since putting in the infamous Helix (Hoffman Group) Mustang II front end in it.
    By far, in my opinion, Ducktail is a better show. It is laid out better, more organized, more user friendly, more vendors.
    But James Dean Run is, well, the JD Run! It is kind of a pilgrimage. You have to do it.
    Continuing problems with the host club and the always increasing cost of the hotels has discouraged many of the Dayton people I used to come over with from participating.
    Despite my love of the show and family tradition, I don't think we will be back next year.

22. TooManyFords

TooManyFords
    from Peotone IL

Just got back. Went to both shows. My first time and had a great time. Cant believe I never went. Very nice selection of every thing. Lots of nice Mercs at Fairmont. Swap meet at Fairmont is very small. Lots of people and good weather. Hope to take the car next year.

23. iracer

iracer

Took my wife and 2.5 year old daughter to the Ducktail today. First time there for all of us. We all had a great time. Believe it or not the weather was perfect today. My wife was hesitant to go after our experience at Good Guys Indy but she had a great time today. She wants a hot rod truck after I get my 29 finished. Never made it through all of the swap meet as it was just a wee bit too muddy. Not worried about me or my wife but I did not feel like cleaning a muddy 2.5 year old. Great show, will definately put it on the calendar for next year.

24. You are so very right about the increasing costs on the hotels. They are about to price themselves out of the game.
    Not sure who the host club is nowdays. Might still be the same one who has been doing it for the past 15+ years now?

25. trout

trout
    from Indiana

I spent the day there. I'm hooked. Best event I've been to. The crowd was so big that it reminded me of the State Fair only much louder. I left at 11 and it was still packed!

I posted some of my pics of both shows on my Hub page. The camera started acting up while I was trying to shoot the flame contest. I'll try to post some of those later.
    http://www.hubgarage.com/mygarage/pixlplay

26. arufenbarger@aol.com

[email protected]
    from Gaston, IN

I've went to both shows all of my life, I prefer Duck Tail over James Dean. I mainly go for the flamethrowing contests and my car club Indiana Twisted Wrenches. I will be bringing my 62 galaxie 500 this year wont have flamethrowers till next year though.

27. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I will be in Gas city.

28. arufenbarger@aol.com

[email protected]
    from Gaston, IN

I will be at both with the twisted wrenches.

29. merc-jer

merc-jer

Does anyone know who's Mercury is going to be featured on this years James Dean run t-shirt?

30. It used to always be whatever car won last years Dean Family Pick Award.