Register now to get rid of these ads!

Corvair+S10+V8=Crazy enough to work?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by guiseart, Sep 26, 2009.

1. guiseart

guiseart

here's the evil plan, '85 S10 regular bed pickup, full drivetrain except engine, set up for SBC...

1961 Corvair Rampside pickup...

slightly built Chevy V8...

Will the Corvair cab fit onto the S10 frames width? I can't seem to find specs on Rampsides, wheelbase etc. If I pre-fitted the V8 into the S10 and got it drive-able... could the rampside be the next on the S10 swap chart? I'm not worried about length too much The plan is to beef up the S10 frame, suspension and rear end to handle a ton or so, build a tidy little flatbed and turn it into my granite hauling shop truck.

pros/cons? warm fluffy feelings?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for any input or swap info.
    Greg

2. guiseart

guiseart

anyone do a cab-forward onto an S-10?

3. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

why not just drop an Toronado set up in the back and make a wheel stander :)

4. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

I guess you missed the part where he actually wants to be able to haul stuff. :rolleyes:

5. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

6. Truckedup

Truckedup

That S10 looks pretty solid.........Sell it to a young guy wanting to drop a V-8 in it and fix up the Corvair truck with a Corvair engine?

7. twofosho

twofosho

Sounds like you are trolling for opinions, so here goes, just don't get offended.

If these things were unibody like the cars, adding a separate frame to haul that kind of weight would definitely help the longevity. Do remember too, it wasn't just the swing axles that made these thing squirrelly (no offense Squirrel), it was also the short wheelbase (95"). Moving the engine to the front with the cab in front design will only accerbate it. If you've got both cars in the yard, it's time to get off your duff, drag out your tape measure, and check the width of the S10 frame verses the Rampside longitudinals. Don't be surprised when you have to chop the S10 frame at the front suspension and drop it down to accommodate the Corvair's cab foot box. Setting the engine back in the box clear of the cab would give the interior room needed for a working everyday driver, and again, would improve weight distribution. Insetting a flat deck into the box would preserve the body's structural integrity and character (as opposed to just whacking off the cab and perching it on the nose of another frame, you might as well go out and buy a cab forward Isusu diesel at that point, same thing and just about as stylish). If you wanted the deck lower than the top edge of the box to drop the center of gravity, you could always drop it to just above the motor, and build a lightweight rack system to flush the deck when needed for wide slabs of material. Keeping the stock box would also allow for a rear mounted radiator and ductwork, and the ramp side gate would make it easier to do maintenance on the engine.

Of course if you were bucks up, or really inventive and frugal, you could always get your hands on a Northstar front driver something or other, drop the entire drivetrain/front suspension between the rear wheels, use the Northstar electronics and wiring less anything not needed to run the engine, duct to a radiator just ahead of the rear wheels, and mount your deck just high enough to clear it inside the original bed. Result; balanced, not nose heavy truck (You're not going run this thing loaded to the gills with granite ALL the time are you?), terrific power for hauling all that weight when you do haul it, and more than reasonable economy.

Still would need to graft in a stout frame if you're dealing with a unibody, though.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2009
  8. Da' Bomb

Da' Bomb

If your'e crazy enough to make it work, it'll work.......Not too sure about the extra tonnage plan....But then I'm not crazy. It's the rest of the herd.
    Pat

9. Do you already have the vehicles in your possession? Get out a tape measure and do some checking.

10. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

if you want to haul a ton you should start with a 1 ton pickup

not sure exactly what your plan is. but the answer is no.

11. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Man that's the wrong suspension to haul a ton of granite. S10 of that era is equivalent to a G body elcamino in terms of strength.

Once you get around the issue of the cab not being designed around front engine, I think you should build a large hitch for the utility trailer that's gonna haul the ton.

Good luck with the project, and props for attempting a custom work truck.

12. twofosho

twofosho

Just thought of an alternate plan. Subframe and IRS from a '65 or later Corvair, Saginaw 4 speed transaxle from a '66 or later, 4 pinion diff and adaptor components from Crown or one of the other companies doing them to mount up a SBC. Beef the rest of the chassis as needed.

Result would be a wonderfully balanced, stock appearing little truck. Might be a little sketchy hauling around tons of granite on it though, but it might surprise you.

13. Squablow

Squablow

I don't understand how there is going to be room in the cab for the engine and seats at the same time. Plus a flatbed kinda kills the whole point of a rampside.

If I wanted a forward control 1 ton granite hauler, I'd start with a Jeep FC cab and a 1 ton truck chassis and drivetrain. You could work some exterior fenders onto the Jeep cab if the chassis is too wide, and not look goofy.

Personally I feel like the S10 frame is not nearly enough to handle a ton of granite, I thought they were only rated for a 1/4 ton.

14. Greaseballs

Greaseballs

EXACTLY! There would be nothing to gain regarding hauling capabilities with this type of swap. I know because I had the Corvair Van...exactly the same truck as this Rampside. I was always amazed at how much load that van could handle....it really was a work horse. I would have stacked that truck against ANY S10 for payload capabilities.

As someone else pointed out, if you want 1 ton big truck payload capabilites, find a one ton truck. Or, reduce your granite load some and use the Rampside as is.

15. shmoozo

shmoozo
    from Media, PA

You guys took the words right out of my mouth.

Trying to beef up an S-10 chassis to carry a full ton makes no sense. In addition to beefing up the frame you'd have to upgrade or replace all (or at least most) of the suspension, brakes, and running gear, as well as the rear axle (you'd need to shorten one from a 1 ton truck), and I'm not at all sure what you'd end up with would really be safe for that sort of load.

I say fix up the rampside as a rampside if you like, and use it for light loads or simply as a "business card vehicle" or a "boss's truck", but for hauling heavy loads get a proper heavy duty truck.

16. I don't think an 85 s-10 transmission/driveshaft/rear end is going to like a mildly built small block and a ton of granite.

17. str8axle55

str8axle55
    from MA

If neither truck would haul a ton to begin with, why would they combined? I don`t really think it`d be worth the effort for what you are trying to do.

18. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

19. I still can't figure out where in the hell you are gonna sit! Aside from having to do some goofy linkage to get the steering column to turn the wheels on the S-10, you have a MULTITUDE of problems. Oh, and since nobody has said it yet that I noticed, this isn't very traditional, lol.

20. guiseart

guiseart

I don't have both in my driveway, no.

I assumed the cab-forward Corvair had the engine in the cab like Econolines and A100s

These are both purchases I was thinking about.

I thought the S10 frame could be "stiffened" and a 1 ton dually rear could be shortened and adapted to the stiffened S10 frame, along with the driveshaft.

Trying to photoshop the idea... thanks for the info boys. Gotta think outside the box sometimes. Ain't nothin' more boring than just another 1 ton dually with a flatbed in the middle of Kansas, they are like bellybuttons. Just trying to do something different. that's why I asked.

Don't need a monster engine to haul 1 ton... 1.5 ton grain trucks run inline sixers.

I think the T5 would be just fine.

not traditional? Well you'd be surprised how many cars/trucks on this board are riding on an S10 frame my friend! Heh... real surprised. (not traditional but sure used.)

Thanks for everyones input... I appreciate it. Still thinking about it.

21. twofosho

twofosho

Cool little truck and you wouldn't see your clone coming at you. Why don't you just buy the damn thing and use it as is to begin with? Build a rack to carry any slab above the deck that won't fit in it. Just don't use it when the job calls for a two ton truck.

Going back to what I said above, I've seen pictures of these things with a small block installed in place of the flat six. There are still people out there today offering up the bits to do the Crown conversion. There was also a company that offered the pieces to install a small block in the six cylinder engine compartment but I seem to remember it required flipping all or part of the diff or using a reverse rotation cam.

You might start at www.v8vairs.com or www.corvair.com for starters or www.corvaircorsa.com/crown1.html or just google Crown V8 Corvair.

22. shmoozo

shmoozo
    from Media, PA

Um, ... no. The Corvair-based trucks had their flat-six, air-cooled engines hanging out behind their rear transaxles just like a Corvair sedan. They are similar to the old pickup truck versions of the old VW microbuses, if that helps you to see what I mean.

:)

23. shmoozo

shmoozo
    from Media, PA

Oh, and you can find some more info about the Corvair trucks (and vans) using the link below.

Forward Control Corvairs

24. Blowin Smoke

Blowin Smoke

Rampsides are already 3/4 ton trucks. Curb weight is 2850lbs. Gross Vehicle Rating is 4600. That's a 1750 lb payload including the driver! The brakes are standard Chevy bolt pattern 5 on 4.75 11x2 drum size. Which is the same size as full size Chevy cars of the same year, and the same as 1/2 ton trucks.

They don't handle bad either. I've seen guys AutoX vans with reasonable success. Anyone who tells you they do has never driven or owned one. Since you sit on top of the front axle you do get a bit of a seesaw action. It just feels different than a front engine RWD straight axle truck. That doesn't mean its any worse or better....just different.

Same goes for the Corvan.

25. heres an idea i have been kicking around for an old corvair, dont know how weill it would work in the rampside tho. Get a newer cadillac northstar transverse v-8 with the trans axle everything from a donor mount it in back you can dispose of the steering and hook the tie rods to the frame for alignment issues. of course this brings a host of other issues with cooling ,ect. but how far out from normal do you want to go?