Register now to get rid of these ads!

reverse flow flathead

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by joe1250esm, Sep 25, 2009.

1. joe1250esm

joe1250esm
    from RI

do anyone know where to get a reverse flow camshaft for my 53' flatty??????

2. flatheadjohn

flatheadjohn
    BANNED

Okay I'll bite. Why????

3. doctorZ

doctorZ

well, i can guess why ... what's it going in?!

4. joe1250esm

joe1250esm
    from RI

hahahaha come on now, yall will see it when its done!!!! does anyone out there make a cam still???

5. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

What if you belt drive your standard type cam? Now it goes backwards and what was the intake valve closes just before the old exhaust valve opens. So the ports are reversed, right? Oil pump and distributer may not like it.

6. Ice man

Ice man

If my mind serves me right a guy did one at Bonneyville Yrs ago, and when he ran it, it stuck in LOW gear, so it ran it any way and got 101, fixed the trany problem and then ran 110. I was just a teen then but I ain't any more. Iceman

7. Screamin' Metal

Screamin' Metal
    from Oklahoma

Guys....gotta rmember....the guy asked us a question.......we ain't gotta be responsible for all the other stuff thats gonna screw up because of all the drivetrain mayhem!!!!! HeeHee..........

8. yoyodyne

yoyodyne

He said reverse flow, not reverse rotation.

Most grinders can swap the lobes for you.

9. Just so I'm clear, you want to pull intake from the exhaust ports and use the intakes as exhausts?

How wild of a profile are you looking for - lift, duration @ .050, etc? Flat tappet, radius or roller? You'll have to be on a steel billet core - as obviously a regrind won't work. What do you expect to be paying for such a beast? I know folks who might be willing to do it - but I don't want to waste their time unless I know more and understand how serious you are and the $$$ you have to spend.

Dale

10. boldventure

boldventure

joe1250esm, Just so the question is clear, what do you mean by revese flow? As in there are no stupid questions...

11. kiwicowboy

kiwicowboy
    from linwood nc

I remember a old guy by the name of clay smith cam I beleve he is in anaheim cali , if he is still in bissness, gppd hunting..

12. Contact REED cams. They can make anything you need and are very friendly to work with. Just tried to verify the website but the domain has expired....UH-OH!

13. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

What is wrong with my thinking in post #5? Seems like it would reverse the ports without reversing the rotation.

14. Magnus B

Magnus B

Yes this will work except for the oil pump and distributor as you mention. I was thinking of doing this on a model B.

You could also take a stock cam and turn it backwards, front to rear. Of course you'd have to do some machine work to put the distributor drive and cam gear mounting fland on the back of the cam and the oil pump gear on the front of it. But it should work, at least on a 4 cylinder engine.

//Magnus

15. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

16. I think your concept should work - with the assumption that the cam is a single pattern cam (same pattern on intakes and exhausts) and that the opening/closing ramps on the profile are the same/similar. On some cams, the closing ramp lets the valve down a little "smoother" to prevent bounce. With your reverse rotation cam (using one that was not designed for it), the closing ramps become the opening ramps.

You could probably adapt something like a Jesel belt drive system to get it to work . . . might be something pretty cool to setup!

17. Call Isky. They still have blanks and will cutom grind you a cam if they don't have what you want on the shelf. Of course you will have to play nice and don't fight to get them to do it.

18. Screamin' Metal

Screamin' Metal
    from Oklahoma

Well......if you want to have your intakes out toward your front wheels(on each side) and your echaust coming on up into the center V of your engine.....thats the way to do it.................we've built 2 like that....but we engineered it so the exhaust were to be in the V cause we were mounting 2 turbos there....after we did it....we wished we hadn't.....alot of heat on the windshield and we cracked one......hey, it looked cool and ran its ass off!!!!!!

19. Screamin' Metal

Screamin' Metal
    from Oklahoma

Let me explain my first post.....by mayhem, your intake is larger than your exhaust valve. On a flathead.....this is a sensitive area.....they run hotter.
    By changing the lobes around.......your gonna need to change your valves around, too.....;).........so not to jack up your flow.........remember.....your valves are in your block..........

It can be do.....I've done it.........its kinda cool...........definitely sounds alot different....:eek:.....but its hell on your windshield unless you so something to cool it where all the heat is................:cool:

20. Screamin' Metal

Screamin' Metal
    from Oklahoma

Or ARE you thinking of doing the upside down flathead engine thing??????? Huh? Huh?

21. tbraginton

tbraginton
    from Nevada

Screamin' did your overheated windshield have something to do with the 2 turbos you had up there???? O and how can you expect this guy to learn anything from you if you don't post some pictures of your obvious screw up.... ;)

22. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

This is an old many posted picture and not a reverse flow flatmotor, but it is like the turbo motor being talked about. And did run 280mph unblown.

Attached Files:

23. I remember 40 years ago in Pasadena Ca. my boss at Harry's Glass told me about running a flat head with 6 two's I walked away. A few year ago reading Al Drakes book He mentioned My old boss ran a reverse flow with six twos mounted to the exhaust ports. sometimes you should listen to your elders.

24. doctorZ

doctorZ

what is the upside down flattie thing!?

25. BangerMatt

BangerMatt

26. joe1250esm

joe1250esm
    from RI

hahaha no not a upside down thing or anything like that... just somthing alil diffarent then your everyday hotrod flatty!!!!:D

27. fullhouse296

fullhouse296
    from Australia

Crower make a really good , reverse flow radius tappet cam and a fine roller lifter to suit .They have done mid 8sec passes ! cost plenty , too !

28. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

Hey Screamin'! Is this your beast?
    http://www.flatfire.com/flatfire2.htm
    If not let us see it! This reverse flow mills are most intresting stuff to look at!
    Engineering at its best!

<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_4387015", true); </SCRIPT>Joe1250esm! at least give us a clue! i know you prolly dont wanna jinx your self
    but a hint is not gonna make it happen! :)

29. Jim Marlett

Jim Marlett

This would only work for a one cylinder engine as I see it. Otherwise the cam events would occur on the wrong cylinder at the wrong time.

30. Ed Iskanderian.

Thye never really ran any better then a well built normally aspirated flatty but they are a part of our heritage.

Luck on your build