Register now to get rid of these ads!

4 banger horse power

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jimmy2car, Sep 25, 2009.

1. Jimmy2car

Jimmy2car
    from No. Cal

I'm sure that I've read most of the threads re Model A's and B's, but don't recall seeing any that had to do with the horse power possibilities of the engine. Here's my question. Is it possible/feasible to obtain about 125 HP from a Model A/B, without going to an OHV configuration? And would it still be "streetable"?
    Thanks for any and all opinions/comments.

Jim

2. 4bangertroy

4bangertroy
    from Phoenix

Last edited: Sep 26, 2009
  3. V4

V4

Check out the "Banger Meets" on the HAMB for a lot of info.

And here for a chart on a few different configurations of an "A" engine: http://www.modelaperformance.com/

4. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

You might get 125 at the crank, but that is knocked down below 100 at the wheels.

5. Jimmy2car

Jimmy2car
    from No. Cal

Thanks for the comments and ideas. In looking at the RK website, it seems feasible to at least get 100 hp, but I'd like more. I'll do more thinking. Oh, BTW, what are the RPM limits of these engines, assuming a well built short block, good cam, porting, etc?
    Thanks again
    Jim

6. 4bangertroy

4bangertroy
    from Phoenix

I shift at about 4200, but I know some guys can get alittle more out of them.

7. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

With only 30 1/2 hp at the wheel I cant beleave how much fun I have. Yes I deam of 90-100 some day but for now I say off the highways and have fun on the back roads. I have a 68 chevy pickup with a 427 bigblock 450hp and it just sits the A is much cooler to drive to the shows. With my new 750-16s out back my new top speed is 61mph (gps) it real happy at 50-55.

[​IMG]

8. Jimmy2car

Jimmy2car
    from No. Cal

You guys are great. Thanks again for the information. I'm gonna get one
    Jim

9. The first thing to look at, before anything else, is how to make it rev. Full flow, full pressure oiling, counterweighted crank, oil supply to the bearings etc. This is gonna be spendy long before ya get to things like cam, valves, and bolt-ons. You sure ya want 125hp?

10. weathrmn

weathrmn

4bangertroy, do you use the stock rods, oil pump, and babbit bearings? I have an A engine, I can't leave anything stock, maybe a Model A after my 40

I currently have a 40 ford with a flathead and FE engines in other cars

11. 4bangertroy

4bangertroy
    from Phoenix

I run a counterbalanced B crank in an A block. Inserted B rods and inserted mains. Modified A oil pump.

12. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

I'm running a bone stock B block with Babbit mains and rods. 7.5:1 head B cam and 2 Stromberg 81 carbs. I've been driving the pants off of it since I put it in my car in December. Drove it to the SoCal Fast Hill climbs last Sunday. Ran it up the hill a few times and home in 95 deg heat 50 miles each way on the freeway @ 70 mph. Stock oiling and all. A well put together banger will last a long time. In my book, before you spend thousands of dollars to make 125 hp. Think more about what you'll use for a drive train. The T-5 I run in mine sure make my car more versatile here in SoCal traffic then any other mod I made to my car.

13. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

This quaters FAST magazine came today. And they put a bunch of street driven bangers on the dyno. Check it out for a dose of real.

14. Wildfire

Wildfire

I've got a Ron Kelley banger and a t-5 in my RPU. The power is great, remember these have a lot more torque than horsepower. He estimates my build at around 75hp.

15. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Here is the info from the Dyno test.

I raced Jim B. at the Antique Nats this year, and were are almost identical in ET and Speed. ;)

Remember these are rear wheel horses.

Attached Files:

16. Jimmy2car

Jimmy2car
    from No. Cal

In looking at all the great information you guys have provided, along with the comments, I'm not discouraged at all. As a matter of fact, after reading that info re HP, I think 100 rear wheel should be more than possible- and I don't think it'll cost more than a few thousand to do it. We'll see. CDO, I saw that thread about the trans adapters and I'm thinking about a Jeep T-178 transmission behind the 4 cylinder
    Thanks again,
    Jim

17. 4-port Riley

4-port Riley

Crazydaddio has beaten me 2 years in a row at the Nationals, I blame it on the clocks!

18. oldsman41

oldsman41

i have a 28 roadster with the banger in it
    crank redone and hc head weber carb and manifold and headers has 3 speed with volvo od great car to drive but if you dont want to put 3 grand in an old motor think about a modern 4 cyl out of ford or chevy truck with five spd and a 9 inch rear now your flying.

19. 4-port Riley

4-port Riley

Troy's coupe runs really strong on the hill climbs that I have seen him run. The question on horsepower? My speedster put out 75 at the wheels at Speedy Bill's speedster reunion in '09. Speedway will host another speedster meet this coming June, be there!

20. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

I've always figured that I could pay for two SBC crate motors for the money I've put into a banger.

21. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

...but then you'd just have two SBC's, and where's the fun in that?!;)

4t6ford likes this.
  22. George Miller

George Miller
    from NC usa

Here is one over 125 hp. Counter weight crank, home built 7075 alum rods, chev 283 pistons, 1 3/4 intake valves,7-1 Brumfield head, 4 intake ports, light flywheel. Stipe 350 camshaft, home built intake.

Attached Files:

23. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

Back in 1995 The New Secrets Magazine (publication of the SECRETS of SPEED SOCIETY) published a series by Ron Kelley and what I remember most was the the amount of work required just to bring the ole girl ("A") up to the advertised stock H.P of 40. Weber 2 bbl carb on aluminum downdraft manifold, mild cam, larger intake ports and 4" bore (+ .060"). The most significant changes were thosesthat improved air flow.

24. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

Ron Miller built a A engine (flathead) for Bonneville and a Indy friend dynoed it a couple times . It made 162 hp.....injected

25. 4-port Riley

4-port Riley

My Speedster's Winfield flathead, 6:1 puts out 75 horses at the wheels. It has stock oiling, C crank, B rods and stock size valves, three 81's. It's been reliable as a rock ans still gets great gas mileage, 23-25 on the road.

26. 4-port Riley

4-port Riley