Register now to get rid of these ads!

Freeing a motor good or not so good an idea

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Little Wing, Sep 25, 2009.

1. oneratfink57

oneratfink57
    from Wisconsin

the way i did it was take two longer bolts in where the balancer puller bolts would go and reef on it that way rather than the center bolt. you wouldnt want to go and EZ out that bolt!

2. hoof

hoof

Dad and I have tried this with tractors quite a bit, it has never worked. You can get a crap load of torque on a tractor too, just won't break them loose. He pulls the head, one whack with a hand sledge on the highest piston and they break free.
    CHAZ

3. 55chevr

55chevr

I suggest anyone with a stuck motor soak it in Kroil ... this is good stuff ... J

4. Quoting from my '55 Ford owners manual:
    "To push a Fordomatic-equipped car, place the selector lever at N (neutral). When the car speed reaches 20 miles per hour, turn the ignition switch to ON, then move the selector lever to LO (low). If the road conditions do not provide good traction, it may be necessary to mov ethe selector lever to DR (drive). Hold the accelerator pedal about halfway down until the engine starts."

There you have it, the official word from Dearborn.

5. I'll have to borrow some Kroil from work because I've got 2 stuck Ford 170's that didn't budge with Marvel Mystery Oil or diesel.

And how do you turn the crank bolt the opposite way when it loosens? :confused:

6. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

That is the exact stuff that I used to free up my stuck engine. My friend that turned me onto Kroil called it "red oil" because of the color. I had never seen it before then.

7. RichG

RichG

I've done it twice, once with a '65 Galaxy that had an automatic, once with a Bug. Both engines were stuck from sitting, the Galaxy had been sitting for over twenty years. Drip in some mystery oil and let sit, change the motor oil, add water and rig up a fuel system, drag, start, drive:D When I say rig up a fuel system, I meant that we bypassed the tank and line, just used a boat tank set on the fender with a feed line out the bottom to the fuel pump.

8. sho1off

sho1off
    from Buffalo MN

I tried starting a 55 chev with an 2 spd auto you have to pull them at 50 mph to get the motor to turn over but I don't think it would work with a stuck motor, and that was 45 years ago I was 15

9. F&J

F&J

I did a ford 6 in a 67 mustang last year. The car sat in a damp barn 25+ years. The worst free-up I ever did.

I could get 1/4 turn either way with flywheel teeth, soaked with every lube made. A full day just to get it to rotate all the way.

It was so tight, the starter would not turn it with the plugs in. I darn near burned the stater up by spinning it maybe 30 seconds at a time without plugs. The pistons were making squawking noises :)

The only way I could crank it fast enough to start, was with 3 plugs out. Even then you could tell it was seizing as it barely warmed up. I kept letting it cool and restarting. Next day I was able to run on 6 plugs

Next day I sold it on C/L :eek:...and it was starting and running real sweet.

10. Using leverage on the flywheel seems to be much better than a ratchet and cheater bar on the crank bolt. I just freed up one engine using the short leg of a pry bar engaged in a flywheel tooth and against a bellhousing bolt.

11. GlenC

GlenC

My father in law many years ago bought an old English Commer 12 seater bus to turn into a camper. The bus was solid but the engine was 'stuck' and the seller told him it should come loose with a little effort. So he and his drunken buddies pushed it and towed it up and down the street for hours trying to break it loose.

I was considered a 'smartass' kid who knew nothing about cars worth knowing, but I was finally allowed to take a quick look at the engine. The funny looking 'bracket' on the left side of the block was actually the uncapped end of a connecting rod sticking right through the block wall....

Cheers, Glen.