Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Mike Smith/California Hot Rods Coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tmacracin, Sep 22, 2009.

1. notebooms

notebooms
    Alliance Member

mike smith and family are great folks and he does really good work (we hang out at his shop when we do a yearly camping trip with him.) his chassis work is especially beautiful.... love that car.

-scott noteboom

2. tmacracin

tmacracin

The MPH shows it has the potential to run low 11's high 10's. And in MY opinion that is F-in knarley in a street driven coupe! He might not have a roll bar and doesn't want to push his luck with the NHRA officials

Last edited: Sep 24, 2009
  3. Hey Mike, I just put the beers on ice!! See you at the Reunion.
    D.

4. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

I love that coupe.

5. johnnyboy76

johnnyboy76
    from Sparta, WI

Dang, all those nice post's and only one hater. In mikes defense, there's probably a very good reason he doesn't have an intro. namely he works literally seven days a week fourteen plus hours a day and goes home and has two boys to spend time with, usually in the garage. Instead of bashing him for not introducing or having ten thousand posts you should commend him for not sitting around ignoring his family learning the finer points of being an internet bad ass. just my two cents. Plus you don't get to have a garage full of hot rods for everyone to drool over by playing on the internet. I think all of us who build our own cars can attest to that.

Oh and by the way steve, when scotty stacked that thing into a bmw who'd he call? I don't remember it going to your shop. I believe it went back to the original builder (California Hot Rods) to be re-built.

The bad times on the track are due to some excessively hard slicks that spun a good way past the 60 ft mark. Some good tires and a roll bar to be legal and it's easily a 10 second car.

johnny

6. Sellers Equipped

Sellers Equipped
    BANNED
    from San Jose

WOW! He only works 7 days a week man that would sure be nice vers's pulln 15 days a week!! Who said I was hating??? 2nd how do you know he didn't call me and I told him I was booked out for over a year! Sorry you feel this way! Though it was nice fixing everything he did to his roadster! You might wanna get your facts straight prior to going and running your mouth at me! Wasn't hating! What?? I guy can't joke around?And remember there little buddy! It's not what you have in your garage! It's what you do in your garage so sit down and relaxe and think about what your gonna type, man you sure don't have a sense of humor do you? Think
    I could share some with you ;)[[/B]

7. johnnyboy76

johnnyboy76
    from Sparta, WI

I've got something for you steve, Save the little buddies for your friends. Sorry to say that you started the not having the facts straight when you said he didn't build the car. or that he simply tore it down and put it back together. The car did get torn apart. To freshen up six years of hard driving and use. It would be pretty hard to fit his 4000 sq ft buisiness in his garage so I imagine that would be why he has all those toys in the garage. All of which he has built himself.
    So Steve, since you had so much fun fixing all of mikes work I'm sure Roy Brizzio and his workers are super excited to have geoff miles' roadster in their shop. Everyone does work at some point that someone else can say they'd do better. Some just have the class to keep it to themselves.
    My facts are in fact straight Mr Sellers. I'm not Mike Smith, I don't have his patience or cander when it comes to defending the work done at his shop when some guy who doesn't like him just wants to ruin his moment and make him look like a punk who's driving a car and just saying he built it. So, Please don't think that you're going to rile me up. I'm not a keyboard bad ass. if I was going to get riled up and "mouth off" I'd head down to san jose and handle it. why don't we just go ahead and can the drama so the users who want to find out info on the car can get the info without an admin shutting down the post.

8. lazyv8

lazyv8

mikes a badass.... thats all. only met him a couple of times but just a killer dude and an exellent fabricator..

9. Gambino_Kustoms

Gambino_Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

mike smith rules !!!

10. racer756

racer756

The car is badass, all the negative stuff blows..
    Lets talk cars.

11. CHR MIKE

CHR MIKE
    from Sonora, CA

Just wanted to start by saying thanks for all the nice things said about my car here. I really do appreciate it. For the others. Well, we can't please everyone. I'm sorry about not having an intro. I'm not a big computer guy and don't know all the etiquette. For tonite I'm going to answer your questions and I'll get on and do an intro in the am. hope that's cool for everyone
    To clear up any confusion this car was in fact built by me with scotty. A good friend who wanted a car. This car was started in March of '01 and was built in two 9 day sessions. It rolled out of my shop as a red primer '31 pickup. this was the first full car to be built by California Hot Rods. Scotty later painted it army green with stars on the doors with the help of dave tanimura and a bunch of beer. the car was crashed in late 04 early 05? Can't remember exact dates. It came back to the shop to repair the damage. In the process it was decided that we would put my 30-31 coupe body on the chassis for a while. scotty drove the car in this configuration for another two years until scotty came to my birthday and said he was going to sell the car and wanted to give me first dibs. At that point scotty left the car with me and rode home with rolfe brittain. So, yes I guess I did buy it but not till 6 years after I built it.
    The chassis is 2x4 tubing with model a frame horns, flat front and rear crossmembers and a 4 inch kick up in back. it is truely a basic hot rod. basic chassis. Super t-10 4 speed, small block with cragar 4-71 blower and dual carters, and a 9inch currie rear. hairpins and ladder bars are home brew. Story says, paint on the body is the same, but worn out that it wore when it was the first closed car to be allowed in the oakland roadster show.
    again, thanks for the compliments. I hope I have helped. let me know if there's any more questions.

Funny, My wiring tech is building just that. hopefully have some pics soon. I'll try to get some up if so

go through the trap push the clutch, slowly down shift and hope for the best.

was 30-31

that was a long time ago, still had the shop in the garage. miss your dad. hope all is well with you. hope to see you at the reunion.

looking forward to it. I have some new coozies to help keep those beers cool.

12. racer756

racer756

Hey Mike, Welcome to the HAMB!!
    I have a pic of your engine on my office wall,from Santa Maria 08.

13. hellisterrodder

hellisterrodder
    BANNED
    from Hollister

Yea ill second that. Welcome to the HAMB. This is one one many reasons why some people wont use this site. You get bombarded by the trash talk and PC bullying.

14. Gambino_Kustoms

Gambino_Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

15. johnnykck

johnnykck

Mike, good to see you here on the HAMB!

The quality of your work speaks for it's self, most guys only dream of having the talent you do! Your coupe is one of my favorite '30/'31 coupe's, the stance is perfect.

Don't let any body get under your skin!!

Say hi to the family, hope to see you guys soon.

16. tmacracin

tmacracin

Thanks for the info on it Mike it is TRULEY one of my favorite cars! Do you have any pictures of the chassis? You running a roll bar? I'm coming down to the reunion next month maybe I can buy you a beer?????

17. Sellers Equipped

Sellers Equipped
    BANNED
    from San Jose

Haha hey tough guy!! Or would it be Internet tough guy?? Haha yer killing me !! Yeah geoff roadster sat at Roys for how long??? Not a dam thing happened haha that's why it's on it's way down this sat! Haha yer too much again get yer facts straight! And here I'll make it easy on you, 478 Stockton ave unit D San Jose 95126! Here's my cell as well 408-386-6047 handle it! But remember learn to take a joke or know when someone is fucking wIt you!

18. tmacracin

tmacracin

Just Private message him??????

19. Hey mike ! Great hotrod ! Topten hotrods and customs will be at
    the mooneyes christmas show at irwindale this year
    with "littleboy" . Are you up for a some 1/8 mile match racing?
    Would be crowd pleaser. www.toptenhotrodsandcustoms.com

Attached Files:

20. Wikster

Wikster
    from Phoenix

Thats cool, I actually immediately thought of your coupe hambone when I saw mikes. Both cars are bad ass in their own right. I'm amazed at the quarter mile time and even more amazed at the guts it takes to drive it up to 120mph.

Also Sellers work is amazing. Sometimes things are hard to convey in the online world.

21. Tinman

Tinman
    from Orange, CA

Love that coupe! ...didn't know it was yours. We talked a little at March Meet back in '04 (?) when you had the sedan there along the fence. Welcome to the funhouse!

22. Big Nick

Big Nick

That coupe is BAD!

23. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

I liked the HAMB better when you were gone.

24. NOTCH

NOTCH

Welcome to the HAMB Mike, glad to see ya chopping it up here..
    That Coupe is Bitchin bro! Hey, when ya guys come down , stop by my shop for some beers!!
    Cheers bro!! Notch

25. hemi coupe

hemi coupe
    from so-cal

I heart Mike Smith and California Hot Rods! I am glad to call Mike a good friend, and I have a deep respect for his engineering and fabrication! With that being said I still think he is a Fu^%$#n A$#@@*e! (dont get excited that is a joke that we share). I think you and Curtis should have a good old fashioned GRUDGE MATCH!
    Jimmy White
    P.s. How do you stop that piece of shit with NO BRAKES! HAHAHAHA

26. holeshot

holeshot
    BANNED
    from Waxahachie

from the pics. that coupe should run in the 10.00 e.t. and i would bet it does! pop.

27. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

After reading some of the drama on this thread, I have come to the conclusion that Mr. Smith is one class act... cool, calm, polite and a craftsman who has the respect of his peers.
    There's a very thin line between tough talk and just plain jealousy...

28. Coupe-De-CAB

Coupe-De-CAB
    from Nor Cal

Welcome to the Hamb Mike!
    Great to see the coupe be drivin all around. It's cool to hear the history of the ride:) Scotty is awesome too, He's always got a great fun loving attitude. Bummer when i heard he was selling it, but also cool that it went back to one of it's original builders. Love your work Mike, keep it up and hope to stop by your shop someday to check it out.
    best wishes,
    cab

29. tmacracin

tmacracin

A knarley coupe!

Attached Files:

30. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

i have known mike for ten years ,i have personally seen his abilitys, at one time i aspired to be as good of a fabricator as he is , but i realised i just dont have the drive , mike is a driven perfectionist , one thing i can say for sure is that anything he has ever told me IS FACT ....the guy doesn't bullshit , and doesn't tell storys ....he has come through for me when i needed help ... im glad to call him a friend.... i think his work speaks for it self ...

to try and take credit away or trash someones rep. without explaination is a total ASSHOLE move !....

its pretty obvious that someone was trying to bait some kind of response , unfortunatly sometimes when someone speaks with such supposed knowledge and athority , sometimes people believe the B.S.....and the truth is lost along with friendships...all because of someone with MORE EGO THAN TALENT!