Register now to get rid of these ads!

Syracuse Nats 2010-feedback

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Right Coast, Sep 22, 2009.

?
  1. cars-I dont care what else goes on

69.0%
  2. vendors-I wait until this show to make all my parts sales

26.2%
  3. flamethrowers and burnouts-wild

4.8%
  4. magazine coverage -hey my car may make a magazine!

4.8%
  5. all of the above

16.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. ArtofHotRod

ArtofHotRod

The show is not the same since HRLC stop going ..... She rules let her run the RC!!

2. moparted

moparted
    from upstate ny

try less than 500 cars the last year before it moved to new hampshire

3. Right Coast

Right Coast

We moved it from the Eastern States location because the Eastern States people werent liking the car thing to a location in CT.

The show in CT didnt fly very well , so its on the back burner for now. It may come back in the future if people want it.- We havent given up on the lower New England area !

It has never been in New Hampshire- that is the Granite States show which used to be the Laconia Nationals....which was started by a local guy in NH , Jim Cande (great guy) and the Right Coast joined in a few years ago...

4. 32flames

32flames

I had this one on my possible list for 2010 but after reading the post, just scratched it. I gotta agree with Denise, the reasons I go to an event seem to be missing at Syracuse and along with paying rates that are excessive at hotels I just scratch it off my list. Be careful what you ask for if you are powerless to fix anything.

5. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

If you are looking for a really cool laid back tradtional hot rod event in that neck of the woods so to speak, check out the Jalopy Showdown which takes place in mid-May in York Springs, PA. $10 for the whole weekend with your car including camping. Live bands, cruzn around the track, killer swap meet, extremely reasonable priced food vendors, and the nightlife at the race track is wonderful. Trust me, I'm NOT a tent camper but I do at this event because it's so much fun.

6. I vend in the swap meet. There was some talk of swapping the cars for sale and the swap meet for next year. I'm not sure what that would do, unless it makes more room for the swap meet, but a couple guys come with big vehicles - one had an old school bus - that make manuvering in tight spots a pain in the ass.

I kind of like it where it is only because it's a bit out of the way to just stroll through so you get less potential for crimes of opportunity, for someone to walk off with something say coming out of a late Grandstand show well after we've packed it in. I only live 5 miles away, so there's not much point to my camping over. I know guys who are going to steal will probably find a way, but there's no sense making it too easy for them.

And that whole section of the fairgrounds is kind of the forgotten corner, even during the Fair it sees less traffic than say the Midway. So I don't think a flip would bring more foot traffic in really. Going to the infield would be even worse, that would get no casual traffic. I'm not sure where it could go that would be fair to the car participants and the retail vendors, perhaps down in the midway section so it's between groups of cars?

I'm not sure it matters anyways. The guys who are going to come into the swap meet and buy stuff are going to come regardless. The browsers who aren't really looking for anything, either wouldn't walk through or wouldn't buy anything even if you waved it at them with ONE DOLLAR marked on it.

It could use to be a tad better organized - last year it took an extra day before they put up a barrier to divide off vendor and staff parking from the swap meet spots and there was some confusion as to who was supposed to be where. And with all volunteer help, you're going to get that, it wasn't a big deal all in all. Beyond that I can't complain, I sell well, the staff's been reasonable to deal with. A buy two spots get one free (to park your vehicle on) deal would be nice, though.

7. BigChief

BigChief

Not me.....I go to the Syracuse Nats for the sole purpose of hanging out with the whack-jobs out at Sylvan Beach on Friday Night!!! WHOOOHOOO!!!

.....and then standing A-hole to elbow, sweating my arse off (or getting rained on), nursing a hangover all day Saturday at the Nats.

Really though, it is the friends that I go for, the cars come in second and, uhhhhh, what vendors?

8. screwball

screwball

I come down from Ottawa and so do a lot of others we like it. IM not going to whine its a lot of work to put on a show of that size and Im glad you guys are at least doing the show. It would be a whole lot easier if you just packed up and forgot about it all together.

9. tjm73

tjm73

Here's my only real complaint about the show....I walk through the gate looking for cars and I find way to F'n many vendors where cars should be. Move the vendors to the blacktop area in the back. It's a "car show", not "vendor show". Cars first. Vendors second.

10. BurtDiesel

BurtDiesel
    from CT

The buildings are kind of weak. Besides the car part stuff nothing worth seeing. Why not move all the vendors in doors in each of the buildings (where the pinstriping was, where that car club is, etc) and have all the cars outside in the main areas. People can cruise and walk around and when it rains they can go in any building and buy car parts. (or flee from the sun).

11. Right Coast

Right Coast

all great ideas. Might be an idea for moving some stuff around. The buildings are usually what the vendors make them- some vendors only want inside/some only otside- so its a logistical nightmare at best to make all the vendors fit in the space we have.
    To put it mildly we have run out of room on some areas-swap meet and car corral and may think of moving them elsewhere so they get foot traffic but also allow more car parking-
    If you have ideas for some changes- keep them coming- we want to know and are keeping track of everything everyone suggests to work on making next year (And beyond) better. We know the show will not be for everyone but are hoping that anyone who attends can find a day/weekend of fun .
    Again-thank you everyone for your feedback as it comes.

12. sawzall

sawzall

I wasnt going to respond, as 2009 was my first time at this show.

although I registered a "car" this year.. we did so ONLY to make attending easier, as I planned to have my wife and (2) kids with me one day and my brother in law and (2) nephews with me the other..

I liked that I could take them all to a large event.. where they could see some cool cars..

some questions arise as a result of what I have read in this thread.
    because we were really spectators I wasn't aware of the "no cruising" rule. I didn't see evidence that this was enforced.. and dont see a reason for it to have been..

what I dont know:
    why an RV dealer would be selling campers at a car show.
    why snowmobile drag racing was happening in conjunction with the event..
    why the vendors were so spread out.. . I would think some sort of "manufacturers MIDWAY" (on the blacktop where all the cars were) would be a welcome change..

why the "club parking" in some buildings?

. it was kinda neat.. but i dont know where (or how) I would have found which club was where.. why some buildings had clubs, and some had vendors makes no sense to me.

I liked that my accommodations were free (staying with the family)
    but ironically I did travel to Syracuse about a month after your show.. and stayed at a very nice place for 89.00 a night, so it sounds as you might need to do some questioning as to why hotels are gouging your attendees.

13. hiboyroadsterboy

hiboyroadsterboy
    from Mass

I went this year for the first time,I had fun,I dont think I'm going back,to many newer cars,I prefer rods and customs,and I hate prostreet cars,there was way to many of them there.I do think the right coast guys put on a great show,and I was glad to have gone.The only other problem was I kept getting lost going to the fairgrounds and going to the hotel.

PS,this is only my opinion.

14. INXS

INXS

I have attended for the last 8 years with my son and feel that ithe Syracuse Nationals is a good value for the cost of a participant entry. Two adult admission passes for the whole three days; we take our own cooler of food and beverages and pick one place to eat a meal at usually on Saturday. It also helps that we live less than an hour away and commute each day.

My tastes aren't really in following the crowd that spends the bulk of their time at the Nats parked in a lawn chair looking at the ass end of their "street rod" but I say to each his own and what makes the show fun for some may not be the same for me. I like the diversity of the cars that people bring. It is a big part of what makes the Syracuse show what it is. Seems like each year I see more of something that catches my eye. I took more pictures this year than ever.

The show car parking is a big problem. Unless you arrive at 4 am Friday morning and leave your car parked in that spot for the weekend, it's a crapshoot to find a decent spot Saturday. We kind of use the car as home base and spend most of our time walking and seeing everything but it is nice to get a spot that we can set up a canopy and have a place to get some shade when we return for some chow and rest our feet for a little while.

I would suggest having the parts vendors set up in the big blacktop parking area for those requesting outside space. They all have awnings over their displays so the sun (or rain) shouldn't be an issue. This might free up some better parking for cars. Other vendors and possibly some of the less automotive related vendors in particular could be in some of the buildings. I have always felt that the cars in the buildings seemed very disconnected from the rest of the show. Not really a place where I would linger but then again I don't really care to look at 15 P.T. Cruisers all lined up.

My other dislike is the music. Not all of us grew up listening to Doo Wop. I personally want to scream by the time I have heard "Earth Angel" for the 7th time in 2 days.

We also attend the New York State Fair each year and in my opinion the same issues that have been brought up concerning the Nationals in this thread with crowding, layout, vendors etc. seem to also apply to the Fair. I honestly believe that your show as well as the Fair has out grown its container. Maybe it's time to re-pot.

15. CHOPSHOP

CHOPSHOP
    from Malden,MA

I agree with INXS that I think the Right Coast has outgrown the show grounds but it will never be moved- its a great venure. I think thats why the Right Coast is looking for suggestions to change things around.

I can tell you that the RV guy sets up becaus he sponsors the camping area for the campers- so they dont have to pay crazy prices to hook up there- so in turn- he gets a vendor spot- too large? It was smaller this year as he placed some campers in the camping area- A good idea I think and maybe they will suggest that for him next year too - as it would help free up car space.

I agree with music- the average age of a show person is 45 at this show- which means we grew up listening to AC/DC and Zeppelin. The show isnt just street rods - its for ANY car up to 1980 so you will see a smattering of anythign in that era(and I dont think its just USA cars either but I might be wrong)funny people refer to newer cars- and the cutoff is 1980- thats over 25 years ago-probably before some of the participants were born! (Now I feel old)

As for car parking- what can you do when people arrive so early to get 'their spots"? Its the same at any large event- arrive early for prime parking- I remember years ago at the Nats somsone tried to corrall an area off to park with caution tape and the bext day someone had left them a personal present right where the cars park .....(either them or their dog!)

I know the Right Coast has been toying with the idea of moving more vendors to the blacktop area- but then it can be taking away good spaces again- I know Saturday this year was so filled with cars- they were packed in like sardines- so what do they do? Turn people away at the 7000 mark ( a la Macungie with a cut off?)? I think not- people canfind places to park to enjoy the show.

I dont think it matters where you park -unless you plan to sit by your car all day -which you would miss the majority of the event if you did.

Use the car as a home base and walk around to see everything-its 375 acres- lots to see and do for everyone- you can find what you like and walk by what you dont.

JUst my 30 cents

16. moparted

moparted
    from upstate ny

i was there saturday, there were still lots of parking spots available closer to the main gate.

17. decayed40

decayed40

I think it might be interesting to turn the table here, right coast must already know there are issues. so what do they have to say? what do you guys feel are problems ? you asking the hamb members must be fueled by something. and really i dont see where anything that has been brought up you have the ability to change so why bother asking? the place has turned it the state fair with cars in between food vendors all thats missing are the rides on the midway . if you really want to see a well ran car event and how its done go to salina ,or the showdown or better yet tyrods show in mass, no frills no money making gimicks just pure hot rods and car people, what its meant for not the corner vendor selling walking foam aligators on sticks for the kids .im all for kids at a car event i think we need younger generations to keep it alive and well but teach em about the cars not stuffed animals ,the nats could be three quarter the size if you eliminate all the crap with more car space!! just my two cents . so what do the right coast boys think the problem is? you asked!!

18. Tony

Tony

Actually, i think thats a good question.
    If you fella's at the Right Coast are concerned enough to ask us our thoughts then there must be some idea's or feeling's on the inside as well.
    I'd like to hear what some of those topics are as well.

Tony

19. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

20. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

How about putting the swap meet and car corall in front of the Coleseum. decent area centraly located, gates near by for schleping stuff out. Open up the former swap corral area for the old school / traditional rod area. Or put the swap and corral in the 4 h barn area under cover of the sheds. Again near an entry exit gate for schlepping stuff.

21. I went to the first and never been back since, I thought it was way to congested even back then.

22. moparted

moparted
    from upstate ny

been to 8 of the 10 and cant wait until next year.

23. Right Coast

Right Coast

we are asking because we know ALL shows have peole walkign awsay grumbling about 'what they thought was wrong' and we are willing to step out on a limb and see what people say-if we get a ton of people all telling us something should be changed- well- then it needs another look.

Do want to keep in mind that this is a family friendly event and that it isnt just 'hot rods'. but classics, restos and even foreign up to 1980 if they wanted to attend.

The Right Coast started the Syracuse nats as a one time car show- and with the overwhelming response, created the association and subsequent years of shows.
    We want people to enjoy themselves and come back every year- THATS why we are asking.

There will always be obstacles on our end ,(some finanicial,some State rules etc) but we want to keep the spectator and participant in mind and sometimes that means we have to get a vendor in to a 'prime' spot to assist in keeping costs down that we would have had to pass along to you- which is not our intention EVER.

On the other hand- many of the rsponses here have opened our eyes up to things we didnt even see as issues - and will no begin to work on for 2010.

PLEASE keep them coming- what you like (so we can do more if wanted) or what you DONT like and suggestions for change.

What about the evening activities? Do you like the events we try to find to watch every year along with the burnouts and flame throwers? SHould the burnouts and flamethrowers even be there?
    What ideas do you have for grandstand activities?

24. how about a Joie Chitwood Thrill Show style stunt show, that'd be a hell of a lot better than watching some dumbass sitting in a box smoking their tires

Attached Files:

25. CHOPSHOP

CHOPSHOP
    from Malden,MA

thats a good idea- do you know of someone that does it and contact info?

26. terrarodder

terrarodder
    from EASTERN PA

I'm easy to please but I like this show, been there nine times and plan to go as offen as I can. I have been involved in putting on a large show [2200 cars] and I know you can't please everybody. You must be doing something right or you woldn't be getting bigger eash year. Keep up the good job.

27. Where on earth could they move the show to that's as big that it could still be the Syracuse Nationals?

I mean, I live here, and I can't think of anything.

The non car stuff is for the families who come along and get bored of looking at cars all day long.

Proceeds from vendors help pay for the Fairgrounds rental for the 4-5 days the show's there including setup and teardown days.

Some people come in campers and motorhomes and stay on the grounds the whole time, so it makes sense Camping World might want to bring in a display to advertise to them.

And of course there is the constraint that it is the Fairgrounds to work with, there's a lot of permanent structures to contend with to fit things around.

28. Right Coast

Right Coast

you are correct- the vendors help keep the costs of the show down for participants and campers alike.

If any of you do have ideas on some evening shows or know how to reach a good stunt show or performers -PM us please.Thank you again for all of your feedback and suggestions.

29. mutt423240

mutt423240

no commision from the food vendors? bull. how about the large area used to display 3 wheel motorcycles? move them to where i had to park, mile away.and too many junk venders.

30. Right Coast

Right Coast

The motorcycles (3 wheel) paid for the space . They also paid for a place for you to 'test drive' them- and yes, we have determined it was not the best place to put them. (Live and learn) As for the food vendors- the Right Coast does not get a commisssion- but the food vendors that are permanent vendors at the Fairgrounds may pay one to the Fairgrounds-not sure.