Register now to get rid of these ads!

Getting my heap legal in Kansas?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nate, Oct 21, 2004.

1. I'm trying to think ahead here. I have my cab and frame for my model a project and I'm wondering what kind of pain the registration is going to be? What do I need to do now to make sure I can get it legal in 5 or 6 years when it's ready for the road [​IMG]

Maybe I don't need to worry about it yet, but I'd like to know...

Any kansans out ther with specifics would be good help.

Nate.

2. Sent ya a PM.

3. NoSurf

NoSurf

Hey I need to know too!

Why the big secrecy?

C'mon, help a brothu out?

4. Thanks terry *wink, wink, nudge, nudge, knowing glance* [​IMG]

5. NoSurf

NoSurf

Okay, Okay, I see how you are...

You forget I'm from back east, see? And my cousin's gonna pay you a little visit, see?

Actually, my wife's Uncle was a county Treasurer and he a car guy so he will be able to help us with the fine points as well.

At least I know how to share! I have good manners like Max!

LOL!

6. yeah, our county treasurer is my high school home economics (yeah i took home ec, you got a problem with that?) [​IMG]theacher's sister... small town life is good.

I can share..

7. Just sent you the same, Nosurf. See, I can share. :)

8. destructo

destructo

Kerry, Do you mind P.M.ing me with the same info???
    Thanks,
    Dan

9. No problem Destructo.

10. I'd like to have that info as well, please.

11. JasonK

JasonK

12. [ QUOTE ]
    Go here:

http://www.kansashighwaypatrol.org/press/brochure/antique.pdf

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure registering as an antique is what you want. You did notice the part about being as original as possible, right? "without any significant alterations to the major component parts (motor,transmission,frame,wheels or body)".

Not to say you can't do this. I have a friend with a 440 mopar powered 40 Ford registered as an antique. He has endured a lot of crap from certain police officers and our local county seat for doing it that way.

13. JasonK

JasonK

Right, I once heard it's always better to ask for forgivness than ask permission. I'm going to get my title transfered into my name then when it's running get it registered. Thinking the possiblity they won't ask any questions, just take my money for registration and tags. A few years ago I bought a non-highwy titled '69 Olds 98 conv. Took it to get inspected and was blown away they only checked the VIN to make sure it matched and was not tampered with. I feared they would "inspect it". I was out in 10 minutes and legal. Either way good luck!

14. buffaloracer

buffaloracer
    from kansas

Was looking at the part where they talked about not replacing the engine with a non-antique engine. Does that mean that a pre 1970 engine is ok?

15. Twoodie

Twoodie

Kerry, I could use the info too...need all the help I can get. Thanks

16. Turbopackman

Turbopackman
    BANNED

From what I've been told by a good friend in the KHP, if the car is an antique, the engine has to be too. If you have a '30 model A with a 1956 Hemi in it, it's an antique. If you have the same car with an LT1 chevy in it, you're screwed. the car has to be 35 years old to be an antique, and so does the engine. FWIW, I am building an old open-wheeled race car with no windsheild, and asked him about that, too. He said that the rulebook says, and I qoute, "If you have a windshield, you have to have wipers." Kansas is a little weird on it's laws, so I guess if I don't have a windshield, I don't need wipers!

Eric

17. [ QUOTE ]
    "If you have a windshield, you have to have wipers."

[/ QUOTE ]

That's pretty cool.. Of course.. why would you need wipers if you don't have any glass?? Does that mean if I sit on a bucket I don't need seatbelts? [​IMG]

18. Whiskey

Whiskey

a little off the topic but man l never knew there were so many KS hambers...where the hell have you all been hiding...any of you ever venture to wichita?

takin over the world one line at a time,
    Whiskey

19. Whiskey,
    I think guys from Kansas don't do a whole lot of talkin', you know? [​IMG]
    I worked in Andover and lived in Wichita for a summer, commuted from Lawrence on the weekends. I-35 through the flint hills sure is pretty in the summer. hot, but pretty.

20. Kansas. It's the new California........

21. [ QUOTE ]
    Kansas. It's the new California........

[/ QUOTE ]
    no offense but California ain't FLAT ! ! ! ! ! ! [​IMG]....joe

22. No worry about mudslides or earthquakes either though...... [​IMG]

23. Sprout

Sprout

Thanks for the info that will help with my 29. I agree with Sancho, Kansas is the new Cali....whole lot cheaper too. At least we can prepair for a tornado. [​IMG]

24. Mootz

Mootz

Anyone know what they inspect on the older vehicles? I have a 57 Chevy pickup w/ no wipers, horn, and who knows what else. It said a bill of sale will work for proof of ownership and I got a buddy in kansas so maybe I'll get the inspection in his name, titled in his name, then have him "sell" it to me. Just need to know if they are gonna laugh when I pull up to the inspection station.

Mootz

25. [ QUOTE ]
    Kansas. It's the new California........

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope it never comes to that! I like things the way they are.

I'm wondering just how long the Kansas definition of antique is going to stand. As it is early Mustang's and Camaro's are now antiques.

I spoke with some state guys about the antique thing. They said NO modifications. I figured I would be fine with my 1956 engine but I decided to do a standard registration just to avoid any hassles with the law.

I do get to Wichita now and then. Always make a point to stop at The Yard.

26. Inspection Station, your talking about in Missouri, right? Hell I've had 3 or 4 vehicles tagged antique and I don't believe I've had anyone even ask to have a look at it. The only thing it seems they check out is if you buy an out of state vehicle they check the vin. Of course I haven't owned anything older than a 1951.

Kansas, "the new Cali", god help us!

Whiskey, you ever get up to Topeka, I've got a couple things that need striped. Don't laugh, my golf cart is one and an old T decklid is the other.

Farmall

27. hatch

hatch
    from house

I was stationed for two years at McConnell AFB in the seventies....Kansas was nice, but I never saw any California girls.... [​IMG]