Register now to get rid of these ads!

building a 1929-1934 sedan or truck body?????? want your thoughts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 93blazer4dr, Sep 24, 2009.

1. 93blazer4dr

93blazer4dr
    BANNED

hi
    i have been thinking about building a sedan or truck to maybe build them to resell.
    what are you thoughts on this????
    i got the tools to build them but idk if i could make some money off of them. i wouldnt be building a replica of a ford or chevy im going to make my own body line on these also just want some thoughts on this.

2. Ghost28

Ghost28

You could make more money hot rodding that big chrysler, and selling it for a profit, and keep doing that. Than trying to design your own car, or body in this economy. (tucker comes to mind) When I say this...John

3. echnidna

echnidna
    from Australia

You might do ok if you made a dual cab/ extra cab type pickup.
    Would suit some rodders with kids, or tradesmen/businesses.
    You probably have to think along the lines of AA chassis.
    Could be an interesting style for a woody body.

4. 93blazer4dr

93blazer4dr
    BANNED

i bought the chrysler to take the measure ments off of it to build my own cowl/firewall then build off of that.

the chrysler i think im going to build it and keep it just because i havent really seen many of these chryslers.

do you all think there would be a good market to build and sell just the bodys?? or would it be best to build the body and a frame?????
    just wantting to get more thoughts on this so im just all talk right now but i plan on building my own sedan body soon and see how it goes.

i use to be real big into the MINI trucks but i like hot rods also and they got a better look i think haha.

5. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Most handbuilt bodys look handbuilt. For resale,I think most people would prefer an original body.......

6. 93blazer4dr

93blazer4dr
    BANNED

scrap metal your correct but it would give me something to do and it would maybe one day let me get a full out business going.
    i do alot of welding and fabrication on the side. ive done air ride suspension cut down a 300zx irs to fit under a blazer, built a 1 off frame. done sliding rag tops shaved door handles and body lines.
    anything to do with welding i will try it.
    im not bragging just letting you all no what i like to do.

and like my logo says"whats life without a dream?" thats how i veiw alot of things you wont no unless you try it. a dream is the 1st step to trying it out i think.

7. bohmer2

bohmer2
    from Thayer, MO

I will say there is nothing wrong with having a dream but at the same time some dreams should remain dreams.

This is my opinion only but I think you would have a difficult time finding a return on your labor in hand building bodies. Most of the big shops would sell remanufactured steel do so using presses and not a hammer and dolly. Manual labor is expensive especially skilled manual labor and the number of hours it takes to hand build a complete body would price you out of the typical hobbiest and even the typical street rodder.

Take it for what its worth I dont mean to rain on anyone's dream but just want to give you something to consider.

8. Ghost28

Ghost28

You just might find a market for what you are wanting to do, but your product line had better be a good one. Most likely people on a traditional site wont sign on cuz it's not what they are into. But there are other boards that are open to new design ideas, that you could market your ideas on but as you said it will give you something to work with and try to perfect as you go. Dreams and Reallity keep em close cuz they run hand in hand. and that's life...John

9. 93blazer4dr

93blazer4dr
    BANNED

thanks guys/gals for being honest and your not knocking my dream or thoughts on this. this is the reason why i posted my idea on here. i no some people will look down on it if i start building and selling them because they arnt the real thing which i under stand the real thing is 100 times better then what i could do.

i think what ill do is just go ahead and build a jig to map it all out and build one and post it on here and get every1 thought good or bad then go from there. i no i wont get rich doing this but i think it would be something fun and different to do.

10. 93blazer4dr

93blazer4dr
    BANNED

another QUESTION---do you all think id have more luck building custom frames for hot rods out of 2x3 3/16thwall???? or if you have a idea that you could share with me on what i could do that would put some money in my pocket then id take a look at it.

thanks for giving your thoughts on this.

11. HotRod33

HotRod33

Build some replacement doors for 1932 -1934 ford trucks.... Make them fit a stock cab and offer them in a 4 inch chop... lots of guys here on the hamb are looking for these doors........... I would buy a nice set.....

12. 93blazer4dr

93blazer4dr
    BANNED

you also talking with making it to have use of the door glass??? or no glass at all???

13. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Never ever offer any new manufacture door chopped! Every chop is different, every chop is measured by a different guy in a different way, you see where I'm going.

Make 'em stock and let the customer cut 'em up.

New 32-34 Pickup doors:
    Cost of mint stock cab and 2 sets of mint doors for patterns, cost in materials, cost in labor, cost of development of jigs and fixtures.
    Inventory requirements.
    Possible/Probable market.
    Unit cost determined by above.

14. Functional windows.

15. F&J

F&J

Making homemade bodies for resale? How about going more simple style like a good looking roadster pickup shell and doors. Less fabbing than a full body pickup??

But what about the people who need a title or a real V.I.N. tag?

16. 1931av8

1931av8

Pasadena hits the nail on the head. You need to look at how much the original body would cost right now. I saw one in the HAMB classifieds with a bed for $3500 with a title. You need to come in cheaper than that...considering a new bed is about $1500 and a Title $$???.

OR you need to have a better idea. The extended cab is not a bad idea. My 2.5" chopped cab with 4.5" channel on my '31 does not leave a lot of leg room. I am 6' and pretty much folded up even with the seat on the floor to get the needed headroom. Speedway has a fiberglass extended cab version that you can look at. I personally prefer metal, myself.

Frankly, I am not sure that you will be able to provide a cost advantage by using your body over stock ones still available...yet. Wait until these become dear and pricey like a '32 roadster. That's when Brookville figured out there is a market.

BTW-Seems that I recollect seeing an ad somehwere where somebody is already repopping these cabs. Definitely worth a google search.

Best of luck. There ARE ways to make money in the hot rod business if you REALLY think it through.

Tom

17. outlawsteel

outlawsteel

building one for personal self OK building one for profit NOT GONNA HAPPEN the time and money you put into it will probaly price it out of the average guys price range and the other guys who have the money are probaly gonna go for something with original steel rather than not. If you just want something do build and to try new challenges i would have to agree with hotrod33 on building replacement panels for ? you would have a far better chance of selling and it would give you something to do and it has plenty of challenges for you. And if your as good as described earlier and ever around north alabama look me up i just might have a job for you i do alot of minitrucks at the shop (damn teenagers lol)

18. 93blazer4dr

93blazer4dr
    BANNED

thanks for the input on everything i no i wont get rich doing this just wanted more ideas and thoughts about this idea. i been thinking about building a roadster because it would be faster. its just a thought thats out there i no if i built these i couldnt price it real high so id have to take a cut on pay for my time building it but i think it would be something worth trying out.

minitrucks are fun to build and DRAG haha

19. sublime kid

sublime kid

what about somethin like these? a friend of mine builds the bodys and frames
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. T-Bone

T-Bone

21. 93blazer4dr

93blazer4dr
    BANNED

thats is what im talking about doing but with a bodyline in it.

thanks to every1 for your thoughts and guiding me in the right direction.
    hope every1 on this site is this helpful in this post.
    im going to check in to see what it would cost and how much time it would cost to build doors with the option of glass.