Register now to get rid of these ads!

History F**K That *other* Pontiac thread, let's see what made 'em GRRRREAT!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by monsterflake, Apr 28, 2009.

1. throttlejunkie

throttlejunkie

wish i would have kept this one, and my 65 GTO,61 ventura,63 catalina,72 formula and 68 GTO. Damn shoulda kept em all

Attached Files:

2. pullinlines

pullinlines
    from indy

Bbbbbbbbbbaaaaaaaaaaaaaddddddddddddddd aaaaaasssssssssssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. wlspdshop

wlspdshop
    from Missouri

Centurion.....Just awsome pics!!!!

4. Thank you Sir....they're just snapshots, but the light was right and they were certainly great material to shoot.....I'm glad you enjoyed them....Centurion9

5. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens

Centurion9
    Those are GREAT shots! Thanks. Killer Catalinas! Oh man that light yellow GTO against the corn field is awesome. Made my day. Slim

6. pontiacfawk

pontiacfawk
    from Antioch

ALOT OF FRICKEN BEAUTIFUL YACKS!!!
    PEFORMANCE WITH STYLE!!!!
    HERES MY .02
    [​IMG]

7. BHfanGB

BHfanGB

Here's a great example of sixties Pontiac cool... a '60 Safari with 8 lug wheels, Tri-Power 389 and bucket seats![​IMG]

8. 55chieftain

55chieftain

Here's some more for today. The 70 Judge is my uncles, who is the original owner. 1 of 1 2-tone painted white/red top special ordered, there was another with the colors flip flopped.

Attached Files:

9. 31 B'ville

31 B'ville
    from SE Pa
    1. All Things Pontiac

'29 Pontiac at Pocono Good-Guys 2009

Attached Files:

10. BHfanGB

BHfanGB

Shot yesterday, another '65 GTO that just looked SOOOOO right![​IMG]

11. Slow55

Slow55

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 12, 2009
  12. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

Let's get away from the notion of "made" them great; That's sort-of giving up, relenting to the fact that pontiac is gone. Pontiac, technically, still exists and i think we really should re-focus our efforts on brainstorming ideas to make pontiac last.

i'll start, but feel free to throw ANY idea on the table.

The chinese:
    Now, i know this probably does not seem like the best alternative initially. But there are millions (billions?) of chinese who are catching "car fever" and they would gobble it all up. i mean if they could and did go ape-s>>t over lame buick, they'll love pontiac.

A chinese company just bought hummer. There's so much money over there that, really, i don't see why a chinese company/organization couldn't loan gm more money.

i feel this is very important---pontiac going away just isn't right or good for society in general.

13. Blam

Blam

here are some pics of my four door,
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. twotoejoe

twotoejoe

GM says Pontiac is NOT for sale; a group has tried to guy it and was told no dice. For some reason they chose to kill it and not put it up for sale like Saturn and Hummer.

15. dean3870

dean3870

The 62 was my fathers first race car. My grandfather bought it about 4 months befor he passed away, and my dad ended up with it for a while. Its realy cool to see not only drag racing history on here but some of my familys history, love this site! thanks guys

16. Just picked this one up a few days ago. 1951 pontiac chieftain
    [​IMG]

17. buickbelle

buickbelle

As I was shooting this car last weekend at the Late Show in Haysville, Kansas last weekend, I did so with this paticular thread in mind. Now I am not so sure about the color combo, but since purple IS my favorite color, I thought it worked well, but probably wouldn't have been my choice in colors, but since it belongs to someone else, all I do is appreciate what I see. The car is very well done in my opinion.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Carrie

18. BHfanGB

BHfanGB

Just thought I'd resurrect this thread with a pic of my old ride, my "semi-sleeper" '68 GTO. "Semi-sleeper", you ask? Yup, because while she looked all stock, the modified Ram Air III motor said otherwise![​IMG]

19. Buford Solomon

Buford Solomon

I have enjoyed this thread. I first got my driver's license behind the wheel of a '53 Pontiac and spent a couple of high-school summers in the parts department of a Pontiac-Cadillac dealer.

I've always wanted a '61 Ventura hardtop, but I'd be happy behind the wheel of a vintage Goat.

In 1971, I shot this GTO that was running in the Trans-Am series. My recollection is that it was known as the "Grey Ghost," but I'm wondering if it was really the "Grey Goat." CRS. 'Twas at Watkins Glen. The big name was Mark Donohue, driving a Penske-prepped Javalin, but he wasn't terribly competitive. Mustangs and Camaros were tops.

BS

Attached Files:

20. Zerk

Zerk

This page goes into how Herb Adams and some of his Pontiac engineering department buddies built and raced the '64: http://www.tachrev.com/GTO1.htm

I believe the car belonged to Herb's wife!

brut4s likes this.
  21. Yes, it was called the Grey Ghost. it was a '64 Lemans. Featured at least once in Motor Trend ( very good article by the way ). Had a 400 destroked to 303 cu in ( 5 litre limit in class) and made around 475hp.
    Herb Adams and some fellow Pontiac engineers built and raced the car.
    It is very cool and shows how the 'outdated' Pontiac motor was built ona budjet and competed with all the fancy high dollar Boss Mustangs and chevs. One of Pontiacs finer moments.

Steve
    Hosting-
    Pontiac/Buick/Olds FALL FEST Sat Nov 28, 2009 Phoenix
    www.pbofallfest.org
    12th annual Pontiac Heaven April 8-11, 2010 Phoenix
    www.pontiacheaven.org
    8th annual Nostalgic Show & Go! April 11, 2010 Phoenix
    www.nostalgicshowandgo.org

22. BHfanGB

BHfanGB

Great pics of the Grey Ghost! That was one of my all-time favorite road racers.... probably because it was an old Pontiac running with the big dogs and giving them fits. Thanks for sharing them!

23. 1926 Pontiac Boat Tail Race Car

<TABLE id=post4626597 class=tborder border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e5e5e5 1px solid" id=td_post_4626597 class=alt1>This hill climb is the oldest documented Pontiac race car in existence. It was manufactured very early in 1926, Pontiac's first year of production. It began life as a standard two-door sedan sold to McRorie-Sautter Motor Company, an Oakland dealership and distributor located in Utica, New York. General Motors introduced the Pontiac as part of its Oakland line - a quality six-cylinder car, designed to sell at the price of a four. The car was a runaway success; Pontiac bears the unique distinction of being the only GM offspring to kill its parent company as Oakland became Pontiac in 1932.

Shortly after the car's sale, the owner suffered a fire, which destroyed the passenger compartment. The car returned to the dealership where the chassis was taken across town to the Willoughby Company, a local coachbuilder with a national reputation for building custom, quality vehicle bodies on high-end automobile chassis. The rough finish of the boat-tail body and the lack of a Willoughby number plate seem to indicate that the conversion was a quick and dirty job, certainly not in keeping with their usual high-end coachwork.

The car first raced at the Sherrill Hill Climb on August 14, 1926 where it won first in class and in unlimited displacement, taking home two trophies and $20 in prize money. The car was named 'Hill Climber' and went on to compete as a dealer-sponsored racer until its retirement in 1932. The car stayed in the McRorie family through three generations. It left the Utica area in 1983 after the dealership closed. By that point it had fallen into disrepair.

In May of 1997, current owner, Arnold Landvoigt responded to a computer bulletin board ad for a 'one of a kind 1926 Pontiac Boat Tail Racer.' He and his wife, Lois, fell in love with the car and purchased it on the spot. They have since restored the car and researched its history along with that of racing in upstate NY in the 1920s. Hill Climber is now a certified AACA Competition vehicle that has toured the country. Source - AACA Museum

You can find more pictures here

http://www.conceptcarz.com/vehicle/z...ail-Racer.aspx
    <!-- / message --><!-- attachments -->

<FIELDSET class=fieldset><LEGEND>Attached Thumbnails</LEGEND>[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

</FIELDSET>
    <!-- / attachments -->

</TD></TR><TR><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #e5e5e5 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #e5e5e5 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #e5e5e5 0px solid; BORDER-RIGHT: #e5e5e5 1px solid" class=alt2>[​IMG] [​IMG] </TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #e5e5e5 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #e5e5e5 0px solid; BORDER-TOP: #e5e5e5 0px solid; BORDER-RIGHT: #e5e5e5 1px solid" class=alt1 align=right><!-- controls --></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

24. Pontiac Slim

Pontiac Slim
    Member Emeritus

brut4s likes this.
  25. rtomss

rtomss

Here's my old man's 63'.

Attached Files:

brut4s likes this.
  26. twotoejoe

twotoejoe

More info PLEASE!

27. PRO 48 fleetline

PRO 48 fleetline
    BANNED
    from ohio

Pic of my first car
    This photos in 1989 my senior year dad and i built this togther!
    Always have a deep passion for the Goats
    428 with a rock crusher m22 with 4.11' gears
    Car was a throwed togther and built for hardly anything at the time but i dont think ive had anymore fun any any car i have owned since.
    And what was my dad thinking building me a BB car at 15 lol
    Thank god he did and the memories were worth every sec working on it together.
    [​IMG]