Register now to get rid of these ads!

OT: Holy Chit ! This is going to cost a Bundle of Cash !

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hlfuzzball, Sep 23, 2009.

1. hlfuzzball

hlfuzzball
    from Michigan

[​IMG]

Ferrari 250TR "Testa Rossa" driver David Love also came to grief in Turn 8.

He was unable to slow for the turn, and drove into the "Kitty litter" run-off area at high speed. He flew into the air at least once (which could have flipped the car), hit the tire wall at the far end of the run-off area, bounced off, and finally came to rest sideways on the racetrack.

<CENTER></CENTER><CENTER></CENTER><CENTER></CENTER><CENTER></CENTER>

2. ouch....at least he's out using it.

3. CJ Steak

CJ Steak
    from Texas

Yeah, I give him credit for using it... but damn that's gonna hurt. Good thing is if he's out racing something like that, and not just polishing it everyday, he can probably afford to fix it properly.

The real test is if he'll take it back to the track and race it just as hard before, after the repair!

$$$$ and some cajones for sure....

4. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

How is this O/T? One of the finest racecars of all time. The guy's doin' what the car was built for. Enzo's smilin' ear-to-ear. Guarantee it.
    But yeah, that's gonne be some cash.

5. Hate to see that, but like already said, good to see the car being driven and not "showcased" in a garage somewhere

6. Tech @ BG

Tech @ BG

About 15 years ago there was a case of this with a Ferrari that was worth about a million at the time except the guy rolled it. The got out there that night and porta powered the roof back up , took a sledge hammer and knocked the wheel wells away from the tires and taped glass back in and raced it the next day. While I was there one of the guys asked him why they were beating on the car with sledge hammers to keep racing and his response was even if it cost him a couple hundred thousand to get the body fixed after the race it was still a million dollar car.

7. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Bttt for the people who think this is O/T.

8. Splinter

Splinter

no one else has said it yet, so here goes-

"That'll buff right out...."

9. Minewithnoshine

Minewithnoshine

DAMN! Beautiful car, getting used how it should be!

10. devotion

devotion
    from idaho

we used to go to those classic races every year...saw a guy rip apart an old 427 Cobra...same deal...taped it back together and was out the next day.

11. SquashThatFly

SquashThatFly

Road race guys will do whatever it takes to get back on the track. I know, my father has torn up a lot of cars pretty bad and worked all night to get them back on the track by morning.

12. Tech @ BG

Tech @ BG

Yep, I took a big pipe at one of the races we were at to roll the fender away from a tire so we could continue on. Worked well into the dark at many a track as well.

13. Jim sibley can fix it
    tk

14. I have a buddy who used to race a 65 Shelby GT 350R quite a bit back in the 70's and 80's. He banged it up a few times. Even took out a few Vettes or Jags. :D
    But it's still a 65 Mustang. Tough and simple, pretty easy to get parts and fix but a Testa rossa 250TR !!! Ouch!!:eek:

15. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

im sure he has enough cash to get it fixed up

16. Beach Bum

Beach Bum

Car wasn't damaged that badly. The driver, David Love, has owned that car since about 1964. When he bought it it was a used up race car that had been rolled and badly repaired. He repaired what was necessary and raced it in SCCA until about 1970. He has constanly repaired/restored the car to get it into the condition it's in today.That car has run every single Monterey Historics. He is a great custodian of a great car.

17. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That makes it more odd that he had this incident. Usually these things are newb drivers unfamiliar with the car and/or the track. Obviously that's not the case here. If he maintained the car then he is responsible for the condition of the brakes and tires. Wonder what went wrong. Did he get cut off?

18. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Thanks for adding. It's additional posts to threads like this that make the HAMB so special. Thanks again for adding more insight.

19. Agree, good insite:)

20. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

I don't agree. I road raced motorcycles for 20 or so years. We always said it wasn't a matter of if but a matter of when. I've watched many an experienced driver/rider go off the track. Sometimes you just overcook a turn...

21. kingfishhotrods

kingfishhotrods

22. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

obviously a whole bunch of us, you are free to go back to making metal dolphins...
    :eek:

23. (while this is nothing compared the cost of the TR) I don't know that these guys think in $$$ terms, a family friend of my dads wadded up his fairly rare late 50's Aceca in a race and his only comment was "lets get it loaded on the trailer and get it into Riley's shop, I want to have it sorted before next season".

As for me.....

24. Years ago, Saltflattmatt got to work on Cobra number 7 or so. I think it was one of the very first smallblock cars. Guy backed it into an Armco at Brainerd. If I remember right, Matt got to replace some interior tin?

25. Beach Bum

Beach Bum

From what I understand it was a brake failure. Happens to the best of them sometimes. Even Penske's boys get it wrong once in a while.

Here's a link to some history on the car.

http://www.tamsoldracecarsite.net/DavidLove1.html

Kurt O.

26. Firetop

Firetop
    from chicago

Thats not a crash, just another page in history for a racecar being used properly! Yeah it still bites but its better than trailer or museum dust anyday....

27. saltflatmatt

saltflatmatt
    Alliance Vendor

Trent I seen the pics on the post and it reminded me of that car. Then I see your post. AHHH the old days! No I don't know what number that was... All I can think it it was CSX2026 but that's Bob Johnson's car that Randy restored long time ago.

If you can afford a million dollar race car you can afford to fix it no matter how bad the crash is.

Go to any Shelby club event, you'll see REAL cobras and a Daytona (coupe now and then) on track and all out almost rubbing fenders...

I'd be surprised if the Ferrari was on track with other cars. Those Ferrari guys are really odd. Back when I race Formula cars we would be with the Ferrari Challenge at times. You get 2 F430's side by side on track and the drivers would cry foul play.. I could just hear it over the headphones "DR. TooMuchMoney is too close to me tell his guys to back him off" They were more worried about the semi looking good and the hospitality tent had fresh fruit than if the car could perform...

28. Now that is funny!