Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Econoline Madness Who's got one?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kornfedlifer, Apr 25, 2007.

1. Hellfish

Hellfish

Weird. They used to carry them. At least you got them from Mill. Mac's got their parts from Mill, too! I'm sure the panels are the same.

2. rev106

rev106

3. fordman

fordman
    from Wylie, TX

4. fordman

fordman
    from Wylie, TX

Great photo where and when was it taken

5. LiveWire64

LiveWire64

Here's a couple more Econos that my friends have.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. BigScott666

BigScott666
    from East Coast

Does anyone have the firing order for a 1964 Econoline 170? Also, I've converted from points to electronic.......need advice for setting the timing. Thanks, trying to get ole girl on the road!!!!! She's fired up for the first time in 10 months that I've owned her....but she's just running a little rough. Thanks in advance fellas!!!!!

My son's "first car" project.........

I've got no manuals for this truck, so if you guys could break it down "barney style" I'd greatly appreciate it!!!!! i.e......firing diagram from the top of the distributor/firing order from the front to the rear of engine.

7. erock805

erock805

So...I got the Panels from Mill....Wow! Total garbage. Luckily the Ebay ones didnt end. I filled one panel myself with sheet metal and a bead bag. I scored one old panel on Ebay. 100% better than the Mill piece. It was crazy...it was like they just wrinkled the metal over to make the bend. Total garbage.

At this point I have final grinding to do...but the rust is gone and the new replacements are in...I will post up a a story on it this weekend.

Also, I am going to cutt out the tore up dash (from idiots and thier replacement stereos) and replace with a patch from a NOS dash I scored in Colorado a few years back.

I just may take next week off work and swap in the 250 and Aod. The good guys show is coming up and I want to make sure the truck is ready for that...so I should prolly wait...but I got the itch....

8. dante81_98

dante81_98
    1. A-D Truckers

You really should get that itch checked out. Don't listen to the guys at the shop, its not normal to itch like that.

9. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

Still working on it but it's got the M/T raders on it now with new tires and a matching trailer made out of an identical year and color Econoline pickup...

Attached Files:

10. I have a 67 econoline pickup that I am working on. I just finished putting in a 9" with 3.5's and a snotty little 302 and a AOD. I have one side welded up and starting on the drivers side now, fun project!
    kgdb

11. tnrotter

tnrotter
    from Tennessee

Here's one I'm thinking about buying. My wife already knows I'm crazy. A PO put alot of work into this. It's got a 351W. What do you think? Would this make a great parts chaser or what? tnrotter
    [​IMG][​IMG]

12. VanRockn

VanRockn

Hell yes you should buy it. I'd fill in those ugly side windows and put some small porthole windows there instead. Also, replace those wheels with some torq thrust and install some 61-67 round tailights...that would be badass! NOW I WANT TO BUY IT!!

It reminds me of the 61-67 econoline pickup trucks.

13. tnrotter

tnrotter
    from Tennessee

VanRockn, You're right it would look good with early taillights. The portholes would look good too, the windows look like they were set too low. I've got a '63 and a '67 parts van behind my shop. I had a '63 Econoline pickup but decided to send it to automotive heaven due to major rust issues. tnrotter

14. BigScott666

BigScott666
    from East Coast

Just worked on the truck last night. Found TDC...removed the cap...and the rotor button was pointing at the #2 cylinder. Now, where do I run the plug wires. I understand the firing order is 1-5-3-6-2-4. Please help me out fellas.

15. econovanman

econovanman
    from yakima wa

Its 153624 on the cap going clockwise from 1, the order of the pistons is 1-2-3-4-5-6 from front to back

16. BigScott666

BigScott666
    from East Coast

econovanman - I appreciate the response.

But, I'm still confused......having a hard time understanding these timing issues. Not sure where to plug the wires in if the button is pointing at the #2 cylinder when the timing mark is on "o". The only time the truck will start is......if I run the 153624 firing order as if the #1 cylinder was TDC , but it's not....the #2 cylinder is TDC. Hoping I'm making sense..kinda frustrated.

When the truck is running, using a timing light, the timing mark is approx 16 degrees advanced - meaning higher than the "0" marking. Cannot adjust the timing anymore since that vaccumm type pump is on the back of the dizzy. (This is with the timing light plugged to the #1 cylinder wire)

Bare with me......first time working on one of these old inline "6's"

17. BHfanGB

BHfanGB

Damn you!!! I've never remotely considered owning one of these....... UNTIL I saw yours! That thing is SOOOOOO cool! If/when you repaint it, I'd keep the same color Your Econoline is WICKED!!!

18. I have not had mine apart yet (Actually replacing the six with an eight) but...I would either pull the distributor and move the rotor to #1 position, or move the wires so #1 lines up with the rotor at TDC. Anybody here have a book handy for this engine? Heck, I've seen V8's timed off #8, so you never know.

Which piston is at TDC when the mark on the balancer is at TDC?

19. BigScott666

BigScott666
    from East Coast

#2 cylinder

Only question is now: whether thats on the compression stroke or exhaust stroke? How would you know?

20. Pull the plug and hold your thumb over the hole while you (or a helper) turn it over to TDC.
    That, or pull the valve cover and watch the rockers.

21. econovanman

econovanman
    from yakima wa

it should be #1 the front cyl on the engine should be on compression stroke hold your thumb over the spark plug hole (remember that there is 4 strokes) the cyl will build pressure and the piston will be the furthest up it can move that will be tdc then make shure the rotor points towords the front left corner of the van

22. I wonder how tight the ring is on the dampener/balancer...?
    Sounds like it may have slipped.

23. BigScott666

BigScott666
    from East Coast

First, I appreciate all the information provided. You guys were a great help. Due to my current workload - I won't be able to begin work on the Econoline until tomorrow evening. Thanks again.

I'll report back with the outcome.

24. BigScott666

BigScott666
    from East Coast

Confused about this comment.

The lower pully (dampener/balancer) has a notch in it.
    What ring are you talking about?

25. BigScott666

BigScott666
    from East Coast

If the rotor button points at the front left corner of the van.....then it'll be on #5 - look at the firing diagram in this link http://zenseeker.net/4x4/Ignition.htm

26. econovanman

econovanman
    from yakima wa

if #5 is at the front left u need to move the dizzy my clips on the cap are paralell to the block like so -O- timing this six shouldnt be hard at all, take out the dizzy put # at tdc, forget the marks on the pulley drop dizzy back in pointing at #1 on the cap then u should be there....... read here hope it helps, http://classicinlines.com/IgnitionTiming.asp

27. BigScott666

BigScott666
    from East Coast

econovanman
    Got it....so I can pull this dizzy out????? Just heard some horror stories that some inline six dizzys cannot be pulled out.....just confirming before something crazy happens!!!!

Again, thats for your help and the link....great article!!!!!

28. Ford Straight 6, no damper, just a pulley

29. BigScott666

BigScott666
    from East Coast

:D thanks

30. Yeah...thanks.