Register now to get rid of these ads!

(OT) - Metalworking, Machining, and Fabrication Reference Books

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fuel, Sep 1, 2009.

1. fuel

fuel

I know this is OT, but I think it is still an appropriate subject for many of the guys out there (like me) that are into the fabrication side of things. I thought we could get a list of important books going that we believe are worth reading.

I go through a lot of books trying to find good textbooks or reference books for my classes. The vast majority of these books suck. Don't get me wrong there are some awesome books out there, but most are either too basic and don't provide anything other than a very shallow overview or they are too in-depth and written in such a way that a normal person would need to have his dictionary and scientific calculator out just to get through the first paragraph.

Metalworking: Sink or Swim by Tom Lipton - This book is like having a master machinist and fabricator with you. Detailed COLOR photos on several setups and just a ton of tips for milling, turning, welding, sheetmetal work, etc. I don't care who you are, there is something valuable for you in this book. I've been in the trades for years and there is a technique he shows you on a manual mill that I did not know was possible. This is one book I would not pass up on. It is written in a fun, easy to understand, and enoyable way that makes reading it a pleasure. Lots of good technical info and funny stories, too.

Metallurgy by B.J. Moniz - This is hands down the best metallurgy book I have ever read. It was recommended to me by Fay Butler. It is a good foundation for anyone interested in the metals trades. Most metallurgy books are written for a metallurgist and quickly go straight into a LOT of math (and not just college algebra :D). This book is written so that you get all the information you need and you can understand it. Some texts are written in a style that I believe is delibrately confusing. The writing style for this text is such that any intelligent person can easily comprehend it.

Machinery's Handbook - If you are into machining and DON'T have this book, then you really aren't into machining. MUST HAVE. Charts and technical information out the wazoo. The secret to life is in this book - if I can only figure out what dang page it is on. :D

There are a lot of others, I just thought I'd start this off with these three and hopefully other folks will contribute other titles that they have benefited from. If these is too OT, I apologize and ya'll can delete it. I just see a lot of questions about stuff and think that some of these guys might need these books.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2009
  2. Ron and Sue Fournier put out a couple good books.

Tim Remus has a couple on metalworking.

3. fuel

fuel

Ian, do you know the titles of the books?

4. Fournier- Sheet Metal Handbook

Remus- Advanced Sheet Metal Fabrication & Ultimate Sheet Meatl Fabrication

5. SakowskiMotors

SakowskiMotors

6. hotrodjeep

hotrodjeep
    from Tama, Iowa

Dont forget the 'Guide to The Machinery's Handbook'.
    Its basicaly a "Cliffs Notes" to the original. If its not in these books,
    Then it doesn't exist.

Jeff.

7. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

Absolutely NOT off topic.
    Good subject.

-Brad

8. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

9. Very easy to get overwhelmed with the Machinery Handbook,
    especially the later editions.

10. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Yeah it's pretty simple, but I think it's a great stepping stone into sheet metal.

11. fuel

fuel

Sweet! I'm glad there are others out there that are into reference books and the knowledge in them. If ya'll think it shouldn't have OT in the headline, them get someone to change it. I was just worried it might be OT for some.

I've used the Machinery's Handbook for years. It is a machinist's Bible.

Some more good books:

Machine Shop Trade Secrets by James A. Harvey - This is another good book. I prefer the Metalworking: Sink or Swim, but this is still a very good book with a lot of useful tips.

The Machinist Bedside Reader by Guy Lautard - There are at least three volumes of this book and it is pretty good. I much prefer the MW:SS but it is still a good book.

A little different subject but I've used it alot:

Technical Drafting by Giesecke, Mitchell, Spencer, et. al. Most of ya'll won't care for the rest of the book, but the charts in the back are invaluable. It has good hole charts, tap drill charts, running and sliding fit charts, force fit charts, etc.

I'll post some more good books later.

12. TomWar

TomWar

THis year my "Machinery's Handbook" turns 50

13. oldgoaly

oldgoaly

The Metalshaper's bible will be coming out soon (before the end of the year) Tim Barton is the author, he did the series in Street Rodder back in the early 90's. Should be interesting! tt

14. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The Pocket Ready Refence book is a handy little book . It has weights, conversion charts ,what type of electric plugins around the world , first aid and all kinds of useful stuff . Not really car related but a good book to have . Has building formuales .

15. von Dyck

von Dyck

Don't forget "Engineer To Win" by Carroll Smith. Lots of good advice to help you avoid building a dangerous car.

16. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Actually you're totally right. I love those books.

17. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

Yeah, I have two of these, one stays in the truck at all times, the other at the shop. Comes in handy.

18. stlouisgasser

stlouisgasser

Metalworking: Sink or Swim by Tom Lipton I went ahead and purchased this book today on Fuels's recommendation and it's a great read. Simple to understand and very well written. In fact, it's extremely hard to even find a stopping point to put the thing down. I thought I was fairly knowledgable as a machinist but feel quite humbled after reading just a few chapters of this book. Highly recommended!

19. hellisterrodder

hellisterrodder
    BANNED
    from Hollister

Don't forget (AUDELS Machinist and tool makers handy book)

mine was my grand dads this book was published in 41,42 and 46. I cherrish this book because it has saved me so many times.

20. spock

spock

My 'machinery's handbook' is dated 1919...and it smells fantastic:D

Spock

21. fuel

fuel

I'm glad you liked it! Getting that book was what made me start this thread. That part on spherical surface generation on a manual mill was worth the price of the book alone. I've been machining for a long time and I didn't even realize that was possible on a manual machine. I've done spherical surface generation a bunch on a lathe, but on a mill it is totally different. There were so many tricks in that book that it made me feel like a total newbie.

22. Homemade44

Homemade44

23. 201

Try the Home Shop Machinists,bi monthly mag. Progects, general machining info. Put out by the same folks that do "Live Steam"

24. HOTTRODZZ

HOTTRODZZ

My Fav's

"Engineer To Win" by Carroll Smith

Sheetmetal Handbook, by Ron & Sue Fournier - HPBooks #575 ISBN 0-89586-757-5

Metal Fabricator's Handbook, by Ron & Sue Fournier - HPBooks #709 ISBN 0-89586-870-9

Ultimate Sheetmetal Fabrication, by Timothy Remus ISBN 0-9641358-9-2

Advanced Sheetmetal Fabrication, by Timothy Remus ISBN 1-929133-12-X

Going to have to check out Toms Book.

Still have Grandpa's 'machinery's handbook 1940

Lots of good stuff on DVD's too from Covell - Fay - TM - RF - Glover

25. burl

burl
    from Minnesota

Used that book and the charts to do lots of crazy machining on molds early in my carear.Long before cnc machines.Used it plenty of times to build acurate patterns for tracing.Burl.

26. fuel

fuel

Sorry, burl. I was talking about Tom Lipton's book.

Yeah, the first machining book I ever bought was the Machinery's Handbook. My dad had an old one (I think it was even leather bound. It was ancient), but I bought my own 12 or 13 years ago. The machinery's handbook is the bible for machinists.

Oh, and I have started a social group for machinists, so please feel free to join.

27. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Gosh, and I thought I had an old one. Mine's a 1970 18th edition.