Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features my first custom...'49 ford tudor

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 2345.coupe, Sep 13, 2009.

1. here she is.........
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    she needs a little work and a fat bank roll..........

contesly likes this.
  2. missysdad1

missysdad1

So much for global warming...or does winter always come this early in New York?

Nice project, especially coming from the northeast. I grew up in Maine and most of the shoebox Fords had floors like that...in 1962! :eek:

Good start!

3. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Ah yes,my first car back in 1965...........

4. madpole

madpole

looks like a good project. it is nice, the patch panels are easy to find and fairly cheap for shoeboxes....weld in some new floors and that will be a solid car. what are your plans. keep the flathead? chop?

5. my initial plan is to install a mechanically sound, reliable, cool, safe drivetrain....I've searched the HAMB forums and have studied literately every shoe box posted....I've seen so many sweet builds and so many different approaches to reach the ultimate goal...your own individually unique custom....that's my goal....a lot of you guys are true geniuses..your leaders in the hot rod world...me, I'm a follower, I have a few of my own ideas, but for the most part I'll copy your great ideas and concepts......

6. missysdad1

missysdad1

Good plan!

Jamco has very nice, simple kits to put either a small block Ford or small block Chevy into a shoebox. Maverick V8 rear axle is a drop-in.

Jamco also has lots of bolt-in suspension options to lower your car and improve handling at the same time.

That'll about cover the basics. By the time you get the running gear squared away, you'll have a much better idea of how you want it to look!

Nice start...good luck! :)

7. chappys4life

chappys4life
    from Austin, TX

Awesome I so want a shoebox. i will have one some day. cant wait to see the progress.

8. 51Fourdoor

51Fourdoor

I like how you have it jacked up in the rear...all us surfers did that back in the day.. :)

Seriously, nice project and keep us posted on the progress!

51Fourdoor

9. the Flathead is out and she is real stuck.....filled the pistons with mystery oil, soaked it for days....still real stuck.....decided to ebay the 8BA and go with a '68, 351w mustang motor.....I bought it from a guy who bought it from a guy who lost interest in his project, '68 mustang,.... he had it machined and packed it in grease......that's how I purchased it, packed in grease and in peices.......my mechanic friend has it now and is assembling it for me.........I'm getting ready to install the Jamco Deluxe Ultra Cruise Kit, 4" drop spindles, drop springs ,ball joint conversion.....plus the Rear low profile rear spring kit and front sway bar kit........... I'm also going to use 3'' lowering blocks under the rear to put the tail in the grass......
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

nice project keep on posting the progress

11. dieselc

dieselc
    from ohio

Looks like a solid project good luck with it.

12. Alienbaby17

Alienbaby17

Koooooooooooool. Keep the pictures coming. I'd love to build one someday too. It's neat to see the different approaches to doing one.

Jay

13. missysdad1

missysdad1

By Northeast standards that's a really solid car! Glad to hear you decided to go with Jamco suspension stuff. I've got pretty much the same setup for my '52 Victoria and am in the process of installing it. Can't wait to get it down where it belongs.

Good choice on the Ford motor. Flatheads are fun, but if you like to drive long distances in a trouble- and worry-free manner, there's nothing like late model running gear.

Keep up the good work!

Eric

14. tried something new to me ....Por-15 rust pervention...3 steps, pretty simple ,time will tell if it holds up.....it took me and my friend ,the mechanic, two days, 3 1/2 hrs per day, 7 hrs total to install the Jamco Deluxe Cruise Kit....upper and lower tubular control arms,the ball joint conversion,4'' drop spindles,disc brakes and front sway bar kit.....the directions were good plus I went on Rod and Customs Magazine web.site were they have the Jamco installation explained step by step, backed up by detailed photo's.......... because of the conversion to front disc brakes and rear shoes I'll need a upgrade in the master cylinder .........researsh has led me to ECI ,Engineered Componets, Inc....for a corvette 2 chamber master cyl. plus custom brackets , portion valve and metering valve.........
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Squatch

Squatch

Nicely done!!!

16. phqnflt

phqnflt
    from NOR CAL

Looks like your movin right along! Any plans for the body?

17. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

you've got the right attitude and a cool car to start with-you should go far with this. keep the pics and updates coming.

18. thesupersized

thesupersized

it would be interesting if you could compare the ride quality to a stock kingpin suspension shoebox after you're all done...It's nice to see that you wanted the "upgrades" such as disk brakes and ball joints and opted not to go with a subframe or Mustang II.

19. Kustomline54

Kustomline54

That a badass project car, i would love to have that.:D
    Great work, keep the pics coming.

20. well here is the instillation of the ECI, Inc ,Engineered Components ,(Hot Rod brakes & brackets)....I looked up the parts on my bill and then on the ECI web page to make sure I give you the correct information....I will also be quoting from the ECI web page to pass on the information that helped me.....I started with the '67-'72 mustang EC445 dual master cylinder..it came with a custom bracket that I welded on the back side of the trans crossmember... before I did the final welding I made sure the car was level on the lift....this is "the easiest way to get the safety of a dual master cylinder braking system"...you use the stock ford pedal and pivot shaft..notice the extended adjustable push bar....
    [​IMG]
    the master cylinder is located at the same level as the stock one was and the new one is located 15"-18" behind the stock mounting location......a 2nd custom bracket is then bolted to the stock location of the old master cyl. this stabilizes the stock foot pedal and pivot shaft.....
    [​IMG]
    next the residual pressure valve was installed...you install it drum side and as close to the master cylinder as possible...."inline residual pressure valves is required when using master cylinders without internal residual valves or in the drum brake circuit of a dics/drum using a 4 wheel disc brake master cyl. 10 psi. valve is used for a drum brake system only...2 psi. valve can be used as an anti-siphon valve in a disc brake system."
    I would like to stress that the people at ECI were very knowledgeable and only sold me the components that applied to my specific building needs.....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    lastly the front disc hold off metering valve was installed..."these valves are used for the front disc brakes in a disc/drum braking system to provide a "hold-off" feature so as to allow the rear brakes to actuate first. This function is essential for correct system opperation"...this is located on the front cross member,evenly spaced between the front disc brakes...
    [​IMG]
    next is to get my motor married to the trans. and mock it in the car.....then I can remove the rusted floors and fab new ones........

Last edited: Sep 16, 2009
  21. well I got a '71 maverick 8" rear, 5 lug.......56'' wide....I'll mock it up and see where the spring pads line up and go from there........
    [​IMG]

22. phqnflt

phqnflt
    from NOR CAL

I like the brake set up! My dad has 50 4 door, I'm gonna tell him about them!

23. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

great stuff.nice install with the front end.Jamco have some sweet stuff.how far ahead have you thought about chop,color etc?

24. got 4 rims from want ad I ran in shoeboxford....stock '51 ford.....I noticed the centers,( hole), were larger than a stock '49 center....the stock '49 wheel wouldn't fit on the new front rotors without machining out the middles.....I was pleasantly surprised when the stock '51 wheel fit..... but the wheel rubbed against the caliper....... so I got some 5/16 spacers,the wheels don't rub anymore and I didn't have to change the studs......put on a '49 truck hub to see how she'll look......
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

25. LOW LID DUDE

LOW LID DUDE
    from Colorado

She is a beauty! A little patch here a little patch there and ya got a cool ride.

26. 63Compact

63Compact

Be carefull running spacers there are some horror stories about wheels heading south without you... Otherwise nice job so far keep it up.

27. your right about the spacers....I thought I could get away with 3/4 coverage on the stud.....my buddy said no ,when you turn a corner the weight of the new motor and the force on the wheel will strip the threads and disaster.......
    [​IMG]
    solution...new longer studs, minimum at least full lug nut coverage.....

28. coigna

coigna

nice car, nice work, nice bankroll!

Mine's going the s10 subframe route, due to very small bankroll. LoL
    That's the beauty of having more than 1 way to skin a cat (sorry PETA)

((( subscribed ))) Keep up the great posts!

29. got the Deluxe Rear Leaf Kit w/4'' reduction in OE ride height installed....got it from jamcosuspensions.com .........easy install......shackes, leaf springs and shocks......want her ass in the grass so I added some 3" lowering blocks......custom U bolts are coming from Jamco, and stock ford spring pad shock mounts are also in the mail from a guy at shoeboxford.com.............
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

30. 49 Custom

49 Custom

Fantastic start! I'm surprised the frame survived considering the condition of the floor boards. My '49 came from Minnesota and had to have the frame replaced. So have you actually been working on your ride for four years? You've made some great choices in terms of getting the foundation down first. I've also subscribed to watch the progress!