Register now to get rid of these ads!

Best Mercury ever built?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PrecisionGuesswork, Sep 14, 2009.

1. rallisracing

rallisracing

There are several that come to mind as best, but in my opinion,the WORST is the American Graffiti Merc....of course no one asked this...

2. For 1949 the Ford Motor Company introduced a completely redesigned line-up of cars for its Lincoln, Mercury and Ford Divisions. All three marques broke away from the post-war carry-over styling with a fresh new look that was sleek and curvaceous. Instantly these cars became sought after by the hot rodders of the early 1950’s and the 1949 Mercury became an icon and was immortalized by the movie, Rebel Without A Cause, starring James Dean.

From 1949 through 1951 Lincoln offered two distinct lines of cars, the Lincoln and the Lincoln Cosmopolitan. The Lincoln carried the Mercury body with the Lincoln Cosmopolitan front end, modified slightly. The difference between the 1949 Mercury and the 1949 Lincoln was from the windshield forward. The Mercury’s wheelbase was 118-inches as compared to the Lincoln’s 121-inch wheelbase. The additional length made it possible for Lincoln to install Ford’s largest displacement flathead engine of 337 cubic inches, compared to Mercury’s 255 cubic inches. For 1949 the Lincoln was offered in three body styles: a two-door coupe, a four-door sport sedan and a two-door convertible. The 1949 Lincolns are instantly recognized from the front end by their deeply sunken frenched headlamps and front fenders carrying a clean sweep of stainless steel. From the rear a 1949 Lincoln looks very much like the 1949 Mercury with the same three-piece rear window. However, the Lincolns differ with their own unique gunsight tail-lamps and wrap around rear bumper.
    Total Lincoln production for 1949 was 38,384 vehicles. Ford has never given any breakdown by body styles. The figure compares to 35,123 Lincoln Cosmopolitans and 301,319 Mercurys for the 1949 model year. Needless to say 1949-51 Lincolns have an extremely low survival rate, perhaps the lowest of any mass-produced car of the era.

Still say my Merc is the nicest!

3. metalshapes

metalshapes

I think this is one ( belongs to a buddy of mine )

Same sheetmetal as a 4dr merc from the cowl back, different front sheetmetal, taillights etc, and I think a slightly longer wheelbase.

3k23p13lb5Od5Qa5R09931524a84840301671.jpg

4. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

I'll vote Matranga too. And soon the Ebens Merc. Wait for it...

5. Well,of course you should do so! Don't even try to please me! I can't even do that,LOL... I ran a 65 T-bird seat til I could find an original seat. Then I got lucky and bought a complete interior from SoCal Merc. It's still not the color I want,but for $500,I can live with it. Hope you're not still pissed..

6. Lincoln is a Lincoln! Baby Lincoln or not...
    Mercury is a Mercury!

7. It's a movie car! Was never meant to be considered to be anything else...

8. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Sorry if this is OT, guys. So, what is a "baby" Lincoln? Help me solve my mystery & I promise to shut up.

9. The Lincoln Cosmo is a bigger car,longer,completely different. The Baby Lincoln is almost just like a Mercury from the windsheild back,with a longer wheelbase and front end. That's pretty much it.

10. spiderdeville

spiderdeville
    from BOGOTA,NJ

11. spiderdeville

spiderdeville
    from BOGOTA,NJ

Lincoln Lee has a nice baby lincoln , from 1998 at rhinebeck
    [​IMG]

12. Lincoln with a Desoto grill and bumper! Don't think i've seen that before. Have any other pic's of it?

13. There are many "baby Lincoln" owners on the HAMB.
    See my avatar for one...:D

14. FantaC

FantaC
    from Australia

WOOOHOOO you guys are talking about Mercules again
    gotta agree the twin headlights spoil the car but the owner did want something different than traditional style Merc
    Dont think you Guy`s will like the next car im helpping with its a Ford XB Coupe Kustom

Last edited: Sep 20, 2009
  15. kustomkat

kustomkat

I was reading this thread and was about to throw your name out, but you beat me to it....

16. Matranga...nuffsaid

17. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Many THANKS, BadBob. Since it the Lincoln-Mercury Division back then, I thought this might not be too far off track. Thanks again.

18. Zookeeper

Zookeeper

Maybe I'm wrong, but I remember seeing a small articla in Street Rodder when "Cobra" came out, and I though for sure that Dick Dean did the four "Cobra" Mercs. But then again, it was a long time ago...

19. Mucha Muchacha

Mucha Muchacha

I love "Midnight Sensation"...:D:D

20. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

Not only that, but it was probably called for by Lucas to be a hack custom job perpetrated by do-it-yourself teenagers in the '50's.

To address the topic at hand, it's very difficult to narrow it down to just one. But everyone certainly has their own favorite style because there are so many different styles and subleties.

21. spiderdeville

spiderdeville
    from BOGOTA,NJ

too bad the restoration totally missed on the color

22. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

Jimmy Summers 1940 Mercury

23. uniquecoaches

uniquecoaches

Hirohata Merc x32 for me

24. There was a mild custom, purple-ish - maroon '52 Merc 2dr HT...I think it was on the cover of Hot Rod Magazine, maybe about 1955, that I really liked!

Wish I could find a picture of it.

JG

25. It's obvious they are completely different cars. Yes it was Lincoln/Mercury back in the day...Kinda like the Camaro and Firebird. Both GM but different cars.

26. I agree,it's like asking ''What's the best flavor icecream?". There has been so many great Mercurys built. How do you decide? Most famous,first one done,chopped,un-chopped,color,interior,the builder,year it was built,awards it won,who owned it? So many variables...
    Besides,there's a difference between "What's the best" and "What's your favorite?". What's your favorite,would be the better question to ask. Everybody will have a favorite,but nobody will ever agree on "The Best"...

27. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

This is one of my favorites and was locally built and owned for years. It is still in our area and was the first one I can remember seeing at the local shows and cruise in as a kid.

Attached Files:

28. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Rikkster, wasn't that blue & white one the cockpit on Battle Star Gallactica?

29. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Seriously, though, some beautiful customs on this GRRRRRREAT thread!

30. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Again SERIOUSLY, I know all rooders love the earliest Mercs through the classics of late'40s/early'50s. BUT, how about those great Turnpike Cruisers and the adventurous full-size models with the slant-back rear windscreens? Can we get an HONORABLE MENTION for those . . . PLEASE?

My dad had a lovely 390 Merc Montery '62. Somebody broadsided him at an intersection with a Corvair, and he was broken hearted over losing THAT Merc. NICE mid-size with a ton of hp & torque.