Register now to get rid of these ads!

James Dean Run/Ducktail Run... who's goin'?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Smokin' Joe, Sep 16, 2009.

1. Smokin' Joe

Smokin' Joe
    Member Emeritus

Just wondering who will be at which one? I'll be at Playacres till around noon or 1 p.m. each day, then off to Gas City each afternoon. Usually try to meet a few HAMBers at Killer D's Pinstriping tent at Gas City. He's real easy to find, he's the cat slingin' One-Shot about 90 m.p.h.
    Maybe we can have an impromptu meet-n-greet outside his tent around 2 each day??? Or... anybody have a better idea?

Last edited: Sep 16, 2009
  2. luckys8ba

luckys8ba

Never miss it.I tend to spend most my time at Gas City.

3. gas city all day sat look for the road kings

4. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I be in Gas City most of the day but if I leave the house early enough I might make it over to Fairmount first.

5. jgb7038

jgb7038
    from Indiana

We will be at Gas City all day...

6. FalconEddie1964

FalconEddie1964

Was trying to figure out tonite if the plan was to leave for Gas City Friday or Thursday afternoon to do the Early Duck Cruise at the high school. Been going for years but haven't done that yet and this just might be the time if the weather's right and the old POS is running good. May have to go early and light a fire or two...........

7. ChassisResearchKid

ChassisResearchKid
    from Michigan

I'll be at Playacres with Ftroop (Steve) on Friday. Then have to get back to Michigan that night.

8. harrington

harrington
    from Indiana

Have been going to James Dean since i was a little kid with my parents. When I was able to drive started going to the Duck tail also, have only missed one year and that is because I got married on the same weekend, Sunday afternoon. I planned to sneak and go on the Saturday before but she said if I did there wouldn't be a wedding HAHAHA. Now I usually only go to the Duck Tail, much larger swap meet and the cars are more in line with my taste. Not knockin James Dean but for my time the Duck Tail is a better show. Will probably leave early Saturday and try to get to Gas City by 8am and hit the swap meet for the first few hours then go walk around, start checkin out the cars and find some greasy fair style food. Hope to see and meet some of you guys there.

9. cowboy.3d

cowboy.3d
    from Austin TX

The Dean Run is one of my favorites, but not going to make it this year. This was the first show I ever went to as a young lad, and what got me started in customs. Makes me sad not to make it this year. If anyone makes the pilgrimage to James Deans grave, please say hello to my Grandmother. She is planted just down the way between her two husbands. To all the HAMBers going have a good time, as you all can tell this run holds a special place in my custom soul.

10. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

I will be there for the first time this year...everyone has told me this is one of the best places to see all the killer kustoms of the midwest......
    it is going to be hard to beat Salina KS!

I will be selling the hot rod DVDs as usual - and all the stickers and posters etc

11. Had been going to the James Dean Run for the past 20 or so years until three years ago. a change in my club status allowed me to go to Ducktail.

No comparison to the two events. Ducktail has a killer vendor/swapmeet, the vendors at Dean are nill, and the swap meet is non existent. All kinds of gas stations, parts stores food establishments in Gas City. Damn near none in Fairmount.

The event personnel at Ducktail are great, you can cruise the park in Gas City on asphalt roads compared to driving around Playacres Park in Fairmount on dusty dry grass or more often than not wet muddy ground.

We are stoked this year as El Tiki is one of three cars on the Ducktail event shirt.

We will try and do some sort of meet and greet for anyone who wants to come by. Should be in the same location as last year. North end of the swap meet, right off the paved road that runs parallel to the river by the open shelter house.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2009
  12. dennisk

dennisk
    from Indiana

The wife and I are planning to be at both events on Saturday.We"ll probably spend about an hour at James Dean and the rest of the day at Gas City. It seems to me there are fewer and fewer cars at James Dean every year.Congratulations John on El Tiki being on the Ducktail shirt. I may just have to pry open my wallet and buy one ! I'll be looking for you at Gas City. Dennis

13. brownsmetal

brownsmetal

See ya there.

John, I will have to get a shirt this year too.

14. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

I'll be at the Ducktail run

15. 390Merc

390Merc
    from Indiana

Living a half hour away has its advantages! I try to live over there as much as possible beginning Thursday at Gas City. I've always entered both Gas City and Fairmount but I have to watch my finances this year so I'm entered at Gas City only. I'll still go to Fairmount a time or two just to mess around and rap the pipes around town and look at cars.
    Never been a trophy hound but last year I won a "Best 50's Custom" award at Fairmount and two years ago I won a "Top 20 Merc" award. Just kind of cool to have James Dean Show awards.

16. Smokin' Joe

Smokin' Joe
    Member Emeritus

It is cool to win "Top 20 Merc", huh? Three years ago, my dad and I both won "Top 20" awards. That was pretty cool. He drove his in from New Jersey and I came up from Georgia, both in chopped '49's. I had just finished striping around the scallops Wed. night about 10:30 after a marathon Kandy Brandywine w/scallops paintjob and left 7:30 Thursday morning. While I was there, I sold the car, but I absolutely refused to let the award go with it. =)

This year my dad's bringing his copper colored '49 convertible and I'll be in a copper colored '50 coupe. Hope to see ya there!

17. trout

trout
    from Indiana

I've been to the Dean, but not Gas City. Where is it? How far off 69? The website doesn't have a map to the meet.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2009
  18. choptoprat

choptoprat
    from Indiana

ill be at gas city all weekend long.

19. Smokin' Joe

Smokin' Joe
    Member Emeritus

Trout, you can't get there from I-69, you gotta start in Fairmont.

Nah, I don't remember the exit number, but it's the Hwy 500 exit. Gas City is just a few miles west of the interstate. Trust me, you won't have to follow signs... the cars will lead the way.

20. trout

trout
    from Indiana

Thanks! I hadn't been there before. Wasn't sure how obvious it would be. :D

21. boozoo

boozoo

I may have to come up there... might spur me out of my dormancy and get me back to work on the Hudsonero!

22. iracer

iracer

I heard about the James Dean Fest yesterday at the Marion County Swap Meet. Planning on taking my 2 1/2 yr old daughter as she wants to see Hot Rods. Pardon my ignorance but what is the show at GAS City, which show would be better? Thanks.

23. BrianBSU23

BrianBSU23
    from Indiana

I will be at both shows and providing coverage on my website. www.JamesDeanDucktailRun.com

They are both very large shows complete with swap meets. The James Dean Run tends to have a lot more high dollar and historical customs and a large contingent of 49-51 Mercury's. They have a smaller swap meet than the Ducktail Run, but usually have several good dealers with traditional parts.

The Ducktail Run is more of a huge party than a car show. Large swap meet, pathed cruising pathes which are always jam packed in the park. Tons of HAMBERS and HAMB cars.

Both shows are are about 15 minutes from each other, even shorter if you know the backway short cut. Both shows are located aproximately 15 minutes off of Interstate 69 depending on intown traffic.

I would have a hard time only picking one to attend. They are both so different.

24. BrianBSU23

BrianBSU23
    from Indiana

Any other HAMBERS making the trip?

Last edited: Sep 21, 2009
  25. johnboy53

johnboy53
    from morgantown

I'll be there! this is the 2nd year for us, first for my truck. It wasn't ready last year.

26. Ron

Ron

I will be at both but like BrianBSU23 said Fairmount has always had more customs. Since I am mainly a custom guy I tend to like James Dean in Fairmount.

27. WrazedWrong

WrazedWrong

Ducktails is my favorite show I'll be there

28. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

what time does the cruise start on Thursday and where (the actual address)

29. 93blazer4dr

93blazer4dr
    BANNED

id like to go but i dont have the money i heard this is a really good show

30. BrianBSU23

BrianBSU23
    from Indiana

The park at Gas City will be busy throughout the day and by the afternoon. The James Dean run will not have much of anything going on during the day on Thursday.

There are two cruise nights on Thursday. There is a smaller one downtown Farimount and the Early Duck Cruise in at the local high school. It should be in swing by 5 and lasts into the night. Lots of flamethrowing and cruising around. It is as good as many shows you will go to throughout the year.

Early Duck Cruise in will be held at #1 Indian Trail, Gas City IN 46933. You will more than likely be able to follow the traffic of cars out there.

Coolstuff, did you have a booth at the Indy swapmeet a few years ago? I think I bought some DVD's and and a ton of little pages from you.